Kyra/Kira/Keira Which spelling?

I like the name, although it’s getting a little popular. Not sure about spelling.

[name]Kyra[/name](may be mispronounced “Kigh-ra” and looks trendier to me)
[name]Kira[/name](very Russian?)
[name]Keira[/name](may be misspelled [name]Kiera[/name] due to [name]Kieran[/name] having the i-e)

Our last name is Zoellner so is it too many vowels?

P.S. I am leaning toward the middle name [name]Scarlett[/name].

Too be quite honest, I’m pretty sure the proper/original spelling of the Irish name is [name]Kiera[/name] not [name]Keira[/name], and [name]Keira[/name] has become a more common spelling now because of [name]Keira[/name] Knightley. I like the traditional [name]Kiera[/name] but [name]Keira[/name] is fine too. [name]Kira[/name] looks weird and kind of like a typo and I don’t like [name]Kyra[/name] because, like you said, it looks too tryyndee. Also, I’ve seen it spelt [name]Ceira[/name], which I like the look of best (I much prefer C to K in nearly all circumstances) but I’m pretty sure it’s made up! I don’t think it’s that popular but it is a very cute name so I’d use it!

I like [name]Keira[/name] the best (or [name]Kiera[/name] like [name]Liz[/name] mentioned). It just seems more complete. [name]Kira[/name] feels trendy, and [name]Kyra[/name] the is most likely to be mispronounced. I’ve heard [name]Kyra[/name] said as KEE-ra or [name]KAI[/name]-ra.

Also: the MN [name]Scarlett[/name] is nice, but I think it has too many R sounds with [name]Keira[/name] (or [name]Kyra[/name] or [name]Kira[/name]). What about [name]Keira[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], or [name]Vivian[/name]?

I also like [name]Keira[/name]! Seems least likely to be mispronounced.

With your last name, [name]Kira[/name] actually looks best. But I like the spelling as [name]Kyra[/name]. I heard it means “sunshine” in Celtic. For mn’s, I would go with

[name]Kira[/name] (or [name]Kyra[/name]) [name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Kira[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Kira[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

My favorite spelling is actually the Irish [name]Ciara[/name]! I don’t know if you can pull it off if you live in the US, but I think it’s the most appealing spelling. Out of the others, I would pick [name]Kira[/name] or [name]Keira[/name], since I think [name]Kyra[/name] is very tryndee sounding and I always want to pronounce it kye-ra.

I have always known all three of these to be pronounced diffrently.

[name]Kyra[/name]- Yes ALOT of people will mispronounce this Kigh-[name]Ra[/name], i went to highschool with a girl named [name]Kyra[/name] and EVERYONE even teachers and principals always misprounced it. The proper pronounciation is K-year-ah

[name]Kira[/name]- While i have never known anyone with this name i would assume it is pronounced [name]Keer[/name]-a

[name]Keira[/name]- I think the proper spelling [name]Kiera[/name], and i also went to high school with a girl named [name]Kiera[/name] and it was pronounced Key-air-ah

Maybe i just know people who pronounce it weird?
I would pick [name]Kiera[/name] (spelled this way) i think it is more feminine and all over much prettier then the other names.

The [name]Kiera[/name]'s that I’ve known (which aren’t many) followed the ‘i’ before ‘e’ rule in the name. I like it best spelled as [name]Kiera[/name], as it seems to be the least likely to be mispronounced. If you want to spell it as [name]Keira[/name], I think that’s fine also; it’s my favorite out of the choices that you’ve listed. Good luck!

I’ve seen [name]Ciara[/name] often in [name]Scotland[/name], but more usually [name]Keira[/name]. I like either of these.

I think [name]Keira[/name] is the least likely to be mis-pronounced as most people will already be familiar with the actress [name]Keira[/name] Knightley.

[name]Kyra[/name] is out, will always be mispronounced.
[name]Keira[/name] will be mispelled a lot, yeah.
[name]Kira[/name] is the nicest to me. Can’t be mispelled that often, no questions about pronounciation, plain, easy, manageable name, especially with your last name.

[name]Scarlett[/name] is a hooker name to me, but if you put it as a middle name, little [name]Kyra[/name]/[name]Kira[/name]/[name]Keira[/name] can either flaunt it or deny it. I had a friend whose middle name was [name]Paige[/name], and she used it more than she used her first name, [name]Sarra[/name], because it was constantly mispelled.

Help me please Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

I am so confused!

Popularity in U.S. :

[name]Keira[/name] #123
[name]Kiera[/name] #315
[name]Kyra[/name] #238
[name]Kira[/name] # 251
[name]Ciara[/name] #324

I guess [name]Kyra[/name] is out due to trendy feel.
[name]Ciara[/name] is pretty and authentic but would it be misprounced in the U.S.?
[name]Kiera[/name] or [name]Keira[/name] seem to be the best bet, but would it be constantly misspelled, flip-flopping the i and the e?
[name]Kiera[/name] makes the most sense to me but the majority of “[name]Keer[/name]-a’s” in the U.S. are now [name]Keira[/name](darn [name]Keira[/name] Knightley!)
This name is more popular than I realized if you combine the 5 spelling variations.

Also, WDYT of [name]Kiera[/name](subsitute best spelling) [name]Bella[/name]?

[name]Kira[/name] to me seems to be the most straight forward, would be the least misspelled and mispronounced, but it seems to be everyone’s least favorite. The other consideration is the last name is Zoellner so [name]Kiera[/name] or [name]Keira[/name] Zoellner seems like an awful lot of vowels to me.

Are there just too many spelling variations for this name to use it?

My other concern is I do not want people to pronounce it “Key-air-a” like rhyming with [name]Tiara[/name]!!!

I love [name]Keira[/name]…my bestfriend used [name]Kyra[/name] which I think looks like [name]Tyra[/name] with a k…[name]Keira[/name] ev en looks alot prettier to me

I think [name]Ciara[/name] while beautiful will always be pronounced by everyone as see-air-a. [name]Kiera[/name] is still my favorite choice as while it may be mis spelled i think it would cause the least amount of problems with pronounciation and i think it flows great with your last name! I dont care much for [name]Kira[/name]. My hubby watches a show in which [name]Kira[/name] is pronounced [name]Keer[/name]-da why i have no idea but yea so thats stuck in my head and its not a very soft name its straight forward and not very feminine feeling to me, so to me the winner is [name]Kiera[/name]:slight_smile: However i dont much care for [name]Kiera[/name] [name]Bella[/name] the “a” sounds at the end of both names make it seem a bit awkward and then same with the “e” sounds. I would think a better middle name choice would be a longer name, such as
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (same sort of problem with the “e” sound but not as bad)
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Isobel[/name]/[name]Isabell[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Charolette[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name] Geniveve
[name]Kiera[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]

I would avoid the “a” ending for a middle name as the sounds run together and sound a bit awkward.

good luck!

[name]Hi[/name], some information for you if your intrested. [name]Ciara[/name] is the Irish spelling of the name as the letter K does not exist in the Irish alphabet. The K version is the English spelling of the name.

[name]Kyra[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]

I prefer [name]Keira[/name].

I actually prefer [name]Ciara[/name] but in the US it will get pronounced ([name]Si[/name]-ara) for sure.

As a “[name]Kira[/name]” myself, I am certainly partial to this spelling. Growing up, I was always the only [name]Kira[/name] in the class, and still do not know any [name]Kira[/name]'s my age. This spelling is straightforward, simple and beautiful, and nobody mispronounces it. My parents did well… I love my name!

I like [name]Kira[/name] best because it seems least likely to be mispronounced to me.
You mentioned [name]Kira[/name] [name]Bella[/name]. This sounds nice, but maybe [name]Kira[/name] [name]Isabel/name flows better.
I hope you find what you like!