Kyra

1. If you met someone named ky-ra how would you assume it was spelled and what would be your favorite spelling?

1. If you saw [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] on paper, how would you prononce it and what would be your favorite pronunciation?

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it is trendy or formerly trendy (dated)? If so, to which decade?

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like it?

1. Which image do you get from it? What would a [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] be like?

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Kiera[/name_f], [name_f]Kira[/name_f], [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], [name_m]Kayra[/name_m], [name_f]Keira[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you pronounce them the same?

Thanks!

I’ve known 3 Kyra’s and 1 [name_f]Kiera[/name_f]. If I met someone around my age (20)s with the name I would guess it was [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] or [name_f]Kira[/name_f]. If I met a baby/young child with the name, I would guess [name_f]Keira[/name_f].

All 3 Kyra’s I know/knew pronounced it KEER-a.

I do think it feels a bit late 90s/early 2000s (around when I was born)! but it doesn’t feel too dated today.

I think it’s a nice name but I prefer [name_f]Keira[/name_f] or [name_f]Kiera[/name_f]! [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] gives 2000s glam, while Keira/Kiera are chic irish names to me.

The Kyras I know are all bubbly, girly girl sort of people. [name_f]Carly[/name_f] from Icarly was supposed to be named [name_f]Kira[/name_f] in the original script, and that character is the exact personality I imagine!

I think I would pronounce [name_m]Kayra[/name_m] differently, but the rest the same. Favorites are [name_f]Keira[/name_f] or [name_f]Kiera[/name_f].

1 Like

Here’s a perspective from a Britberry (in England):

If you met someone named ky-ra how would you assume it was spelled and what would be your favorite spelling?

It’s assume [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] and that’s my preferred spelling, if the y is making a long I sound like the word ‘eye’.

If you saw [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] on paper, how would you prononce it and what would be your favorite pronunciation?

As described above, Keye-ra

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it is trendy or formerly trendy (dated)? If so, to which decade?

[name_f]My[/name_f] only reference for this name spelling is youtuber [name_f]Kyra[/name_f], from channel okbaby, who must be about 25 ish now. It feels trendy not dated. I’m in my 40’s; to me dated names are [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] and [name_f]Sandra[/name_f].

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like it?
Which image do you get from it? What would a [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] be like?

Yes! I like short, snappy names, and thanks to my synaesthesia K names are a bright pinky-purple. [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] sounds like a fun but gentle person.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Kiera[/name_f], [name_f]Kira[/name_f], [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], [name_m]Kayra[/name_m], [name_f]Keira[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you pronounce them the same?

[name_f]Kiera[/name_f] & [name_f]Kira[/name_f] PN like [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] [name_m]Knightley[/name_m], keer-a with keer like ‘ear’
[name_f]Ciara[/name_f] is the same but could be PN the same as [name_f]Sierra[/name_f].
[name_m]Kayra[/name_m] I’d assume was kay-ra, [name_f]Kay[/name_f] rhyming with ‘day’.

Favourite spelling keer-a is [name_f]Kira[/name_f], because it’s concise.

1 Like

I would pronounced Kyra as kye-rah, Kayra as kay-rah, and all the other spellings you mentioned as kee-rah! I only know one Kyra and she does pronounce it like kye-rah.

It feels dated to me, not sure exactly to when, maybe 90s to early 2000s? It has a very American feel to me, and it makes me think of someone outspoken, extraverted and feminine. Kind of the athletic popular girl stereotypical character from 2000’s movies about high school? :sweat_smile:

I don’t love how the name sounds so it isn’t really for me. I do like kee-rah a tiny bit more than kye-rah, especially when spelled Ciara (Kiera would be my second choice!), but it still sounds a bit too sharp to my ears.

1 Like

Ky rah which is pretty. I pronounce Kiera like Keer ah.

Love both names in different ways. 🩵 I slightly prefer Kiera which I consider more classic .

I would envision a Kyra as a brunette probably confident , artistic or book reader blonde.

Two different vibes.

:first_quarter_moon_with_face:🩵

1 Like
  1. [name_f]Kyra[/name_f]

2. Ky-ra

3. IMO it’s one of those names that’s gone back & forth in popularity & has never been super popular/trendy yet it’s not dated either.

4. Its not a name I’d use but I don’t dislike it. I’d like to see it on a someone else’s child.

5. I never get images when it comes to names, I don’t think a name has that level of impact on a person’s image / vibe.

6. From those I prefer [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] or [name_f]Kira[/name_f].

1 Like
  1. [name_f]Kyra[/name_f]. This is my favorite spelling as I think it’s the most intuitive for the pronunciation.

2. KY-ruh, though I wouldn’t be surprised by KEER-uh. I prefer the sound of KEER-uh.

3. It feels slightly 90s-early 00s to me, but I’m not sure what I’m basing that on. Maybe due to the popularity of [name_m]Kyle[/name_m] and [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] around that time? I don’t think it was every popular enough to be truly dated.

4. I’m neutral on it. No strong feelings.

5. I picture a [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] as having a strong personality. Maybe sporty and outgoing?

6. [name_f]Kira[/name_f] is a my favorite spelling of these. I pronounce them all the same except [name_m]Kayra[/name_m] for which I would say KAY-ruh. Also, the only [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] I know says it like [name_f]Sierra[/name_f], but I’m aware that the [name_m]Irish[/name_m] pronunciation is more like KEE-ruh and would adapt accordingly.

1 Like
  1. I’d assume it was spelled [name_f]Kyra[/name_f], which is also my favourite spelling

2. If I saw [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] on paper, I’d say Ky-ruh (ky rhyming with eye) - and that’s my favourite

3. It’s got a slight 90s/00s vibe but not overly so

4. I like it - sharp and bright, familiar but not too popular

5. Someone arty, colourful and creative, confident with a hint of the dramatic, stylish but quirky (this is just blending together the 3 Kyras I’ve known :grin:)

6. I prefer [name_f]Keira[/name_f] or [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] - I’d pronounce [name_f]Kiera[/name_f], [name_f]Kira[/name_f], [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] and [name_f]Keira[/name_f] the same, but [name_m]Kayra[/name_m] would be Kay-ruh to me - or maybe Ky-ruh if corrected

2 Likes
  1. I would assume it was spelled [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] and that’s my favorite spelling.

1. I would pronounce it [name_m]Kai[/name_m] [name_m]Ra[/name_m] (Kai rhyming with Eye) and that would be my favorite pronunciation.

1. It does sound a bit trendy, but not too trendy.

1. It’s not really my style, but it’s alright, I like it!

1. I don’t really pronounce any of these names the same way, and I wouldn’t pronounce [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] like any of them.

[name_f]Kiera[/name_f]: Key-air-a
[name_f]Kira[/name_f]: Keer-a
[name_f]Ciara[/name_f]: Key-are-a or the same as [name_f]Sierra[/name_f]
[name_m]Kayra[/name_m]: Kay-ra
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]: Keer-a

I prefer [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] or [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] with the first pronunciation.

(Skipped question 5 because I’m not too good at coming up with images for names)

1 Like

I thought it was keer-uh before reading the pronunciation. I prefer [name_f]Keira[/name_f].

1 Like

I’ve known a few people named [name_f]Kyra[/name_f], and they’ve all pronounced it KEER-a. They were people that I went to school with (either high school or college), so all about my age (born in 2000). I don’t think it is super tided to one era in a way where it can’t be used now. [name_f]My[/name_f] sample is just limited.

I also have a cousin named [name_f]Cyra[/name_f] (pronounced the same), who was born in 1988. She got her name because her mom saw it in a novel and liked it, but she guessed the pronunciation based on only having seen the name written.

I pronounce [name_f]Kira[/name_f], [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] and [name_f]Keira[/name_f] the same way. [name_m]Kayra[/name_m] I’d guess Kay-ra. For [name_f]Kiara[/name_f] (which you didn’t ask about) I’ll guess Key-AR-ah, as I’ve see that spelling used from that pronunciation before. [name_f]My[/name_f] guess for [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] is Keer-a, based solely on the fact that I know that it is the original spelling, not based on how it looks. [name_f]My[/name_f] preferred spelling is [name_f]Keira[/name_f] or [name_f]Kiera[/name_f].

2 Likes