Lachlan/Lochlan

See the results of this poll: Lachlan or Lochlan?

Respondents: 44 (This poll is closed)

• Lochlan : 11 (25%)
  • Lachlan: 33 (75%)

I’m American but I’d go with [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] and pronounce it [name_m]Lock[/name_m]-lin. I like either spelling though.

[name_f]Imo[/name_f] [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] would be misspelled (as Locklan) just as much as [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]. I’d opt for [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] because that seems like the most traditional spelling. Personally, I’d dislike typing my name and seeing red lines for misspelling by spell-check every time I write my name. [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] does not have the red underlines but [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] and Locklan both do.

I’m Irish so I automatically gravitate towards [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] might be a better choice for [name_f]England[/name_f] though, since its pronunciation is a little clearer :slight_smile:

[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] just looks right to me

I voted for [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]. I think you’d have continued spelling problems with [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m]. [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] is a popular and well known name pronounced as you want. I can’t imagine anyone not knowing how [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] is pronounced.

[name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] just looks like how it is pronounced, and I like it better. But then again I am American, and even though I and many others will pronounce [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] right, still others aren’t so cultured so to say and they might say “Latch-lan”. If you believe [name_f]England[/name_f] will be the same, I would go with [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m]. If you think that [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] won’t generally be mispronounced by the English, then I would go with [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m].

In my part of [name_f]Canada[/name_f], [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] is the more common spelling and gets my vote.

I would go with [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]. I’m American with a very recent Irish/Scottish/English background and have never heard the pronunciations Lak-lan or latch-lan, and have only heard the pronunciation Laky used as a nickname.

I’m from [name_f]England[/name_f] and I think [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] makes the pronunciation a lot clearer (when I first came across [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] I thought it was “lack-lan”). I usually opt for the more traditional spelling but I also prefer how [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] looks.

I prefer the look of [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] personally.
[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name.

Other half is Scottish and only likes the [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] spelling and I’m Irish so would prefer [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] as that’s the Irish version, so not sure whether to just go for it with the O ”

I used to prefer [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m], but I’d definitely opt for [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] now.

I think you’ll have spelling and pronunciations issues with either, so I would just stick with [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m].

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name, either spelling. To me, [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] just looks a little bit prettier on paper, which is why it got my vote in the end. It sounds like you have a preference towards [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] though, so then by all means you should go with the spelling you like best!