Lafayette on a boy today? + Combos!

Do you think [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] is usable for a boy today? Opinions on nickname “[name_m]Lafe[/name_m]”? Does it have too strong ties to American history? [name_f]Non[/name_f]-American here, btw.

Which one of those combos do you think would flow the best? Some are definitely GP territory only!

Combos
  • Lafayette [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
  • Lafayette [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
  • Lafayette [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
  • Lafayette [name_m]Warren[/name_m]
  • Lafayette [name_u]Foxglove[/name_u]
  • Lafayette [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
  • Lafayette [name_u]Oleander[/name_u]

0 voters

Not expecting, just trying desperately to find my own style in boy names :slight_smile:

It’s a bold choice but I think it’s usable. I’m not sure about a nickname tho. None of the most obvious nicknames feel very masculine.

I’m American and I’m not super familiar with the history. I only know the name from [name_u]True[/name_u] Blood.

1 Like

I do think it ties strongly to US history. :slight_smile: It has a rather unisex leaning feminine feel to me. :sweat_smile:

Lafe has some teasing potential. :confused:

Non American, and I know nothing about the history? [name_m]Feel[/name_m] like I’m missing something now

I’d say it’s useable, not sure about [name_m]Lafe[/name_m] as a nickname though

It’s a very big name. Personally, I think it would be GP territory only for me, but I certainly think it could work in the right family. [name_m]Lafe[/name_m] certainly brings it down to earth and feels cool and casual in a [name_m]Gabe[/name_m], [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], [name_m]Nate[/name_m] kind of way.

1 Like

It’s more of a gp for me but I think it could actually be useable even though it’s very connected with history. But [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] [name_u]Foxglove[/name_u]?:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m not American and I know nothing about the history. To me it reads as rather feminine. It’s got the feminine prefix La- + Fay (as in “fairy”) + feminine suffix -ette.

To me it seems a bit foppish and I’m not sure I would recommend this name for a boy… though perhaps it could work in communities where the history is well-known.

Not sure how useable. When you say you’re non-American, do you mean you don’t live in the US or you are in the US but not originally from here? I’m asking because if you’re in the US, the name is associated with a college but people outside of the US probably wouldn’t make that association.

Lafayette [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is quite handsome!!

I don’t know if the popularity of [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] makes it more or less useable because I instantly got “Guns and Ships” stuck in my head. I think it is a lot of name and is strongly connected to one person.

2 Likes

Probably too tied to [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] at this point. Others will probably assume that you are a superfan, and it may not age well when [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] dies down.

1 Like

Since [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] was [name_u]French[/name_u], I don’t think it’s too American

Me too :joy:

1 Like

@Mickeywich @may.rose @justanothernamenerd Thank you for mentioning the musical. Indeed, I wouldn’t want to be taken for a superfan of a piece of pop culture that I’ve barely heard of! I am actually more familliar with [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] 's real history/biography :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think of [name_u]New[/name_u] Orleans, [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f] in general and there is town in [name_u]California[/name_u] too called [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m]. I like it a lot! I dont know the history of the name itself like whether it’s been used for boys or girls. It does lean feminine for me but I can picture it on a boy also. It was the surname of a man but it sounds feminine so could go either way? I dont think the history is that big of a deal - so many names are president names so if that goes over, I really don’t see the big deal. However there are several US cities called Lafayette. But if you aren’t in the states that probably doesn’t matter for you much.

I would use it as middle maybe though because I dont know that it lends itself easily to nicknames. I really like it but I can see the challenges of it too.

[name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is my favorite. Very handsome.

1 Like

As an American, I know about [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] from history but I don’t think he’s that well known or remembered very well. We didn’t study too much about him so I can see a lot of people may have forgotten who he was if they did learn about him class. Others may be more familiar with it being a city of [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f] or a college. I oddly remember [name_u]Jean[/name_u] Lafitte more (probably because I saw The Bucccaneer movie) than [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] and I will mix up [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m]’s and Lafitte’s names lol

There might be some revivial of kinda knowing who he is through the [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] musical. Since the musical is based on US history, I don’t think people would assume you’re a [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] musical fan; they should recognize that he’s in the musical because he’s part of US history. It’ll probably just help people be more familiar with the name and know that it’s a boy’s name.

Anyway, I think [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] is usable. Despite the -ette ending, I’ve only thought of it as a boy’s name. Could try putting it in the middle if you don’t feel too comfortable with it though

1 Like

Hi there.

I live in the U.S., & I barely know who [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] is. :blush: There’s a high school in my area called [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m]. But it mainly reminds me of the beautiful historic park in my city. So, I really kind of like it for a name! I love [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] for a boy, & I like [name_u]Leith[/name_u] too. [name_m]Lafe[/name_m] is a really charming idea. I think that the nn [name_m]Lad[/name_m] would also be nice.

Lafayette [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] & [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] flow really well. And those are my favorites from the list. However, I picked [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. I feel like [name_m]Lafayette[/name_m] needs to have a more soft nature feeling mn, & this seems really interesting & perfect.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like