Laila - How do you pronounce it?

This is my name and lately with the rise in popularity of [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Leila[/name_f], [name_f]Laila[/name_f], [name_f]Layla[/name_f], [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] and [name_f]Lyla[/name_f] (and all sorts of other variations), I was wondering how at first glance you would pronounce my name. I ask this out of curiosity because 50% of the people I first meet I have to correct. Thanks guys!

I pr it Lie-luh.

EDIT: As usual it seems like i pronounce it wrong. :smiley:

[name_m]Lay[/name_m]-luh…rhymes with [name_f]Kayla[/name_f]. I’ve honestly never heard anyone pronounce it otherwise where I am.

I would say [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-luh.

[name_m]Lay[/name_m]-lah, rhyming with [name_f]Kayla[/name_f], [name_f]Jayla[/name_f], etc.

ETA: I should add that I pronounce Leila as Lee-la so I’m often not very good at this whole pronunciation thing LOL I’ve also been pronouncing Delaney wrong my entire life.

That is exactly how I pronounce it! :slight_smile: You are not wrong!

I pronounce it [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-la (rhyming with kayla)

I pronounce it lay-luh.

I would say lie - luh, because I would assume that the Lai part rhymes with [name_u]Kai[/name_u]. Also, I would say [name_f]Leila[/name_f] as lay - luh.

I pronounce [name_f]Laila[/name_f], [name_f]Layla[/name_f], and [name_f]Leila[/name_f] all like [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-luh and [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Lilah[/name_f], and [name_f]Lyla[/name_f] like LIE-luh.

I would say [name_f]Laila[/name_f] like [name_f]Layla[/name_f].

[name_f]Laila[/name_f] (& [name_f]Layla[/name_f]) are [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-lah.
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] (& [name_f]Lyla[/name_f] & [name_f]Lilah[/name_f]) are Lie-lah.
[name_f]Leila[/name_f] is [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-lah.

I always say Lie-luh. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Laila[/name_f]/[name_f]Layla[/name_f]/[name_f]Leila[/name_f] are all “lay-lah”
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]/[name_f]Lyla[/name_f]/[name_f]Lilah[/name_f] are “lie-lah”

I guess I can see [name_f]Laila[/name_f] as “lie-lah” too, but “lay-lah” is way more intuitive.
[name_f]Leila[/name_f] is much more ambiguous in my opinion, because “lee-lah” seems equally plausible. I would only guess “lay-lah” first because [name_f]Leela[/name_f] is a more uncommon name.

[name_m]Lay[/name_m]-lah, like [name_f]Layla[/name_f] and [name_f]Leila[/name_f]. And then [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Lyla[/name_f], [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] are lie-lah for me. Other than the name [name_f]Leela[/name_f] itself, none of these would be pr. lee-lah for me.

I can see how it is lie-luh but like above, lay-lah is more intuitive.

I would pronounce [name_f]Laila[/name_f] “LIE-luh”. Actually, it just seems intrinsically wrong to me to pronounce it any other way, just because I am in the habit of pronouncing ai as “EYE” - [name_u]Cai[/name_u], [name_f]Aisha[/name_f], [name_f]Aileen[/name_f], etc. [name_f]Leila[/name_f] is “[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-luh”, but ei is rather more ambiguous in terms of pronunciation, so it’s harder to say.

[name_f]Lila[/name_f] and [name_f]Leela[/name_f] are “[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-luh”, [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] is a curious spelling of [name_f]Laila[/name_f].

I would say [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-lah, but [name_m]Ly[/name_m]-lah wouldn’t surprise me either.