Lammily-- The Every Girl Doll

Some of you might have seen the article about the “average” [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] doll that was circulating several months ago on the internet and was applauded for being a realistic-looking doll for girls. Apparently she is moving towards production and has a name-- Lammily, presumably after the surname of the man who created her.

While I love this idea and think it will be great for future generations of girls, can we pause for a moment to consider the name Lammily? What are your thoughts and opinions on this new invention?

Lammily seems like a way of making [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Milly[/name_f] more ‘kre8tif’.

“Lammily” is a sure sign of end times.

The artist’s name was Nikolay Lamm. While I appreciate the more realistic proportions of the doll, why the childish take on his surname? What’s wrong with [name_u]Nicola[/name_u], [name_f]Nicole[/name_f], [name_f]Nicolette[/name_f], [name_f]Nicoletta[/name_f], [name_f]Nicolina[/name_f] etc…They made the doll more womanly but unfortunately forgot to choose a name to match it. Lammily sounds like a 2-year-old trying to pronounce the name [name_f]Emily[/name_f].

Lammily…erm, what, like Lamb and [name_f]Milly[/name_f]? [name_m]How[/name_m] do you even say that? LAH-mill-ee? LEH-mill-ee? [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-mill-ee? LAH-mill-ay? LEH-mill-ay?

Regardless, that’s just…well, ridiculous.

What’s wrong with Nicola, Nicole, Nicolette, Nicoletta, Nicolina etc…

Exactly! I’d love to see a doll named [name_u]Nicola[/name_u] to be honest!

For some reason this sounds like a brand name for a breast pump to me.

Lammily just reminds me of the word “lame” and it makes me really sad.

Lammily is pretty bad but let’s all be real here and talk about the fact it’s just a doll… nobody is naming their children Lammily nor would I expect it to become even marginally popular - did we ever see a generation of little girls called [name_f]Barbie[/name_f]?

As far as the doll is concerned I absolutely love the idea in principal, but if it is currently being made it’s not being executed particularly well. I showed my 5 year old cousin the promotional video and her only comments where that she had ugly clothes - which I totally get, can’t ‘‘normal’’ women dress well?!
I think the only reason it’s getting any publicity at all is because it’s designed by a male. It’s a different and achievable ideal to what we’re used to seeing, but it’s still just that - an expectation pushed upon females (the minimal make up thing? Hah. And the fact it’s marketed as ‘normal’ to an American audience is a joke).

[name_f]Barbie[/name_f]'s “real” name is [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] [name_m]Roberts[/name_m]. She was named for the creator’s daughter, [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]. The year the [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] doll was created, [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] ranked 11 on the SSA. It dropped out of the top 100 in 1977. I can imagine there were a lot of [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]'s that went by [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] at the peak of the name’s popularity. In fact, I grew up with a girl who was called [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] (whose full name was [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]) and she was born in the mid-1980’s.

Lammily as a name is pretty… lame. Lame is the first connection I have to the name. Surely they could have given her a legitimate name?!?