Lanna pronunciation

When you see [name_f]Lanna[/name_f] how do you think it’s pronounced? [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I really love Lana…but realized that it’s spelling backward isn’t super appropriate and I know dang well that somehow it would come up in middle school and neither of us can get passed it now that we realized it…:see_no_evil:

I’m looking at other spellings, and I think [name_f]Lanna[/name_f] is alright, but when first seen would you pronounce it like ‘LAH-na’ or like ‘Hannah’???

Thanks!

1 Like

Like [name_f]Hanna[/name_f]

1 Like

I’d probably default to rhyming it with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]. Also, I think you’re way overestimating how likely it is that someone will think to spell her name backwards.

2 Likes

I’d probably read it as rhyming with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] I’m afraid.

Maybe you could do [name_f]Alannah[/name_f] or [name_f]Alana[/name_f] to avoid the spelling?

1 Like

Like [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

When you spell my name backwards, the first 3 letters spell a$s. I can’t recall a single time it has ever come up in a conversation with anyone, especially my peers. I’m sure it is possible that I just forgot but my point is that it is hardly a life-altering event. It at least wasn’t for me. I think [name_f]Lana[/name_f] is fine! I could see [name_f]Lanah[/name_f] as an alternative…

4 Likes

I think that [name_f]Lana[/name_f] is the best spelling, despite the backwards name thing. I really don’t think that would ever be a problem.

3 Likes

I pronounce it LAN-na, because of the double “n”. I don’t think the backwards spelling is the worst, but I do see the reasoning, of course. Maybe you could do a variant like [name_f]Laina[/name_f] or [name_f]Layna[/name_f]? I personally like [name_f]Lana[/name_f] the best— (almost) all backwards spellings are odd (mine is Adaig LOL).

Lah-na but I have an [name_f]Anna[/name_f] (Anya) that I pronounce Ahn-na. I dislike the Ann-a pronunciation. But the pronunciation you like seems more intuitive for this name. I’m in the US

I’d pronounce [name_f]Lanna[/name_f] like Lah-nuh and [name_f]Lana[/name_f] like Lay-nuh or lah-nah maybe Interchangeably

1 Like

I saw it as LAH nah but the pronunciation wasn’t quite as instinctive as it is for [name_f]Lana[/name_f]. However, I really get not being able to see past an association— I personally don’t even like positive ones! Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but in my experience, the spelling-names-backward thing has a decent chance of coming up, making [name_f]Lanna[/name_f] the better choice in relation to that. But to be fair, my iPad just autocorrected [name_f]Lanna[/name_f] to [name_f]Lana[/name_f], so… make of that what you will…

I instinctively pronounced it as lah-nah and if it helps the backwards name thing wouldn’t bother me…i don’t think i ever attempted to spell my name backwards

I want to pronounce the double Ns. LAN-nə

1 Like

I pronounce [name_f]Lana[/name_f], [name_f]Lanna[/name_f], and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] all the same way? LAN-ah, LAN-ah and HAN-ah

i would pronounced lanna instinctively as LAN-uh (short a, like in cat) but i could definitely see it as being the same as lana. while i do think lana is still usable, i can’t agree with those who say nobody will every bring it up. spelling people’s names backwards was a thing for a while at my school, and i can’t imagine that it was only my school that ever did it. if that bothers you, i think lanna is a great alternative.

Lah-na, but only because my middle name is [name_f]Alannah[/name_f] with that pronunciation :sweat_smile: I otherwise would have thought it rhymed with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

It would rhyme with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] for me too. Also I think [name_f]Lana[/name_f] is the more widely used spelling so I could easily see [name_f]Lanna[/name_f] being spelled like [name_f]Lana[/name_f] a fair amount of the time anyway.

To add another wrinkle: do you like [name_f]Lara[/name_f]?

1 Like

Thanks all! Husband and I are still all over the place in terms of naming choices but I appreciate the feedback and ideas so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I see why people are all saying [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] but my instinct was lah-nuh, like [name_f]Lana[/name_f].

I would pronounce it Lah-nuh, so the same as [name_f]Lana[/name_f]! Unless I was corrected.

[name_f]Lana[/name_f] is a beautiful name though, I think I would still use this spelling :slight_smile:

Since it is spelled differently than [name_f]Lana[/name_f] and two N in a row almost always makes a hard A sound in [name_f]English[/name_f], I would think [name_f]Lanna[/name_f] rhymes with banana.