Last Name Conflict

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I’m finding as I collect names I like I come across some I love but just can’t see myself using because of my surname. I have an Italian surname, Favero (Fav-eh-row) and so I am finding that some names just sound to English and out of place next to it for example [name_m]Weston[/name_m], [name_m]Wesley[/name_m], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] and [name_u]Henley[/name_u]. I’m also not a fan or alliteration so favourites like [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_u]Finley[/name_u] are out.

I’m wondering if other people have come across this problem and might like to share their last name woes and unusable names or offer a different perspective on mine?

I come from an Italian family. For girls, it matters less because their surname may change someday, but I understand what you’re saying when it comes to boys. I won’t divulge the surname from my family, but it is obviously Italian and it might interest you to know that all except one of my boy cousins has an Irish-American first name. It has never really seemed that strange with the Italian surname. At least not for us. So I don’t think you should stress too much about it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] use the names you love. I think [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] Favero or [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] Favero sound perfectly fine :slight_smile:

I have an Italian last name and none of my siblings or I have Italian names at all. Same goes for all of my cousins on that side and my dad and his siblings, even my grandpa. Most have fairly common English/American names. I don’t think it is a problem, I would worry more about the sound of the names together and not whether they match ethnicity wise personally. The only name I would take off your list would be [name_u]Everett[/name_u] as it shares the ‘ver’ middle section with your last name.

I don’t think there’s an issue if it were to be [name_m]Weston[/name_m] Favero or [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] Favero. I actually really like the contrast where there’s an obviously English name next to an obviously not-English surname. A lot of people living out of the country where their surname originates from has a name that is obviously not belonging to the same country that their surname does, and they wear it just fine, so I wouldn’t worry.

So many families have blended heritages anymore that I honestly don’t think it matters if you like English sounding names and have an Italian last name. My DH’s aunt married a man with a Hispanic name and she’s American, so her name was J@net Avend@n0. Never crossed my mind to think that was weird, especially not in the US. haha I don’t know where you’re from, but mixing names from different cultures is not odd here. As a pp mentioned, I think it matters far more if the flow of the names works rather than the styles or cultural backgrounds of the names match. For what it’s worth, I really like [name_m]Wesley[/name_m], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], and [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] with you last name.

As far as last name woes go, I have had to pay a lot of attention to the ending of the first name and have nixed quite a few names I like because of how they end. My last name ends with an -see sound, so any names ending in that same sound or even -ee/-y can sounds really awkwardly sing-songy. I can make an exception for some, like [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], since I love it so much, but in general I find I can’t use any names ending in -ee/-y/-sie/etc.

I’ve sort of been struggling with a somewhat similar issue. I come from an Italian family as well. I married a man who has a very clearly English surname, which I took upon our marriage. He’s okay with using Italian names as a nod to my culture/family, but they sound so odd…it’s almost like [name_m]Giovanni[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] or [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m]. Funny thing is, all of us kids on that side have non-Italian names (although some of ours can translate well, or our nicknames were Italian forms of our names)…it never sounded odd to me that someone might have an English/Irish/American/etc name paired with Italian surname…maybe because many of my ancestors who came over changed their first names (or sometimes even surnames).

What I’m realizing is that it isn’t as huge a deal as we may make it out to be. I doubt that many people would even blink to see [name_m]Weston[/name_m] Favero, or whatever the name may be. If you make it your situation, it likely won’t seem that odd to anyone in your family. It’ll just be your guys’ normal :slight_smile: