Latest List - but feel like I'm stuck in a runt

[name]Hi[/name] all – this is my latest list of names, little sister to [name]Petra[/name]. I feel sort of like I’m a little stuck in a rut and am missing “the” name.

• Tend towards Scandinavian and Eastern European names, I think but this is not a requirement
    • Tend to like shorter, stronger first names, but more open to “flowy” middle
    • Last name [name]Kelly[/name]

I would love to hear suggestions for combos to of first and middle names. This might help me hone in on the just right name. Thanks!!

[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name]
[name]Liv[/name]
[name]Silke[/name]
[name]Tirzah[/name]
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] (falling out of favor…)

possible middle names (along with any of the above):
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] (love, but might seem too straight-forward paired with [name]Petra[/name]?)
[name]Skye[/name]
[name]Ciel[/name]
[name]Matilde[/name]

…and [name]Silke[/name] [name]Skye[/name] is NOT an option lol

[name]How[/name] about [name]Tirzah[/name] [name]Skye[/name]?

I love both the names [name]Tirzah[/name] and [name]Skye[/name], but together they feel really awkward and difficult for me to say (esp. if I were mad and yelling it lol!)

What about
[name]Tirzah[/name] [name]Ciel[/name] (too strange looking?)
[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Ciel[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name] [name]Skye[/name]
[name]Liv[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name]

I like [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Ciel[/name], and I really, really like [name]Liv[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name]

I don’t think [name]Darcy[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] works at all.

With [name]Petra[/name], I like [name]Saskia[/name], [name]Liv[/name], and [name]Oona[/name] (in that order).

[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Liv[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Camille[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name] [name]Skye[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]

[name]Liv[/name] [name]Mathilde[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]

[name]Oona[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] [name]Camille[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] [name]Ciel[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you like the name:

[name]Tova[/name]

I think this sweet, short, strong name would really fit the bill and would be an excellent sister to little [name]Petra[/name].

spotlightstarlit: I actually do like the name [name]Tova[/name], but I would spell it [name]Tove[/name] which is the danish spelling. I just worry about pronunciation issues for her and always having to tell people how to say it?

cressida: I think you are right about [name]Darcy[/name], deep down I know I have to let go. Plus, I think it’s a tad too unisex paired with [name]Petra[/name]?

I like [name]Oona[/name] [name]Camille[/name] alot, but here’s a little dilemma: a lot of meaning went into [name]Petra[/name]‘s middle names - they are both tied to great-grandmothers and have celestial meanings (I am an avid amateur astronomer and looking at the heavens was a great solace for me growing up). So I feel that it would be a bit unfair to little [name]Oona[/name] or [name]Saskia[/name] if her middle name was simply a name “we liked the sound of” rather than one that have so much meaning in it. I have no connection to [name]Camille[/name] except thinking it is cool. [name]Mathilde[/name] would be a strong nod to both my and my husband’s heritage. [name]Ciel[/name] means “[name]Sky[/name]” and [name]Skye[/name] obviously means that too. [name]Alice[/name] has so many wonderful literary and musical associations, and [name]Marguerite[/name] would be a nod to both our mothers’ names.

So. I think [name]Camille[/name] as a middle name wouldn’t work on the meaning level.

Is [name]Oona[/name] [name]Ciel[/name] a little TOO creative looking? I think an off-beat name works best with a more “established” name. That’s just my style.

Other name suggestions that are similar to these?

[name]Oona[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]/[name]Oona[/name] [name]Celestia[/name]/[name]Oona[/name] [name]Celestine[/name] might be a good option if you are looking for a ‘sky’ themed middle name. I think [name]Oona[/name] [name]Skye[/name], [name]Oona[/name] [name]Ciel[/name], [name]Oona[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name], and [name]Oona[/name] [name]Mathilde[/name] also would work wonderfully.

From your first name list, my favorites are:
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name] - [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Ciel[/name] would be a stunning combo, [name]IMO[/name].
[name]Liv[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]

Oooh, I love the lists you have going!

Have you considered [name]Elke[/name]? [name]Solveig[/name] (pronounced [name]Sol[/name]-vay)? [name]Ingrid[/name]? [name]Annika[/name]? [name]Astrid[/name]?
Yes, those are quite Scandinavian, but I love Scandinavian-ish names…they are strong, feminine, wholesome and beautiful – without sounding frilly. Recognizable and familiar – but not common, trendy or popular.

I really love [name]Saskia[/name] and [name]Oona[/name]. [name]Darcy[/name] and [name]Liv[/name] just don’t fit for me. I am very intrigued by [name]Silke[/name] and [name]Tirzah[/name]…those are new ones for me and I really like them!

Of your middles, I honestly like them all! I think it is wonderful to find a middle that has some meaning for you, but if you end up choosing a middle name just because you love it, I don’t think she will ever feel cheated.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Dagny[/name]? I think it sounds great with [name]Petra[/name] and i didn’t even know it was Scandinavian until I looked it up just now.

gigi22: [name]Elke[/name] was on my list about a month ago but decided it paired badly with our last name. Despite the lovely pronunciation, the name Solvieg just looks clunky to me. [name]Ingrid[/name] out for family reasons. [name]Annika[/name] is nice, but seems just like a juiced up [name]Ann[/name], which I’m afraid is just one of those names I find too plain to personally use – I have no problem with [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Jane[/name], but [name]Ann[/name]? lol can’t explain it! [name]Astrid[/name] I like but I like [name]Sigrid[/name] much better.

jlyn2723: I love [name]Dagny[/name] and I also love [name]Signy[/name]. The only problem with those names is that my mother is danish and she and her family would pronounce them COMPLETELY differently than us english speaking folks. I actually love the danish pronunciations, but don’t really like names that are pronounced so differently in different languages. [name]Petra[/name] has a slight pronunciation difference (Peh-tra vs. Pee-tra), but [name]Signy[/name] becomes 2 completely different names ([name]Sig[/name]-nee vs. See-nah).

Sigh - annoyed with me yet??

ewaggenspack: I really like [name]Oona[/name] [name]Skye[/name]. Really like it. I want to love [name]Celeste[/name] but can’t. I can’t separate the people I’ve known with this name from the name itself, which is gorgeous. But [name]Celestine[/name] is a very nice version I think I could come to love.

For a vaguely celestial theme, what about using a constellation or star name for the middle?

Like:

[name]Andromeda[/name]
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Cassiopeia[/name]
[name]Callisto[/name]
Saggita
[name]Altair[/name]
[name]Vega[/name]
[name]Columba[/name]

Other astronomy-related names:

[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
Paiva
Susilva
[name]Urania[/name]
[name]Cosima[/name]

cressida: [name]Estelle[/name] was used for my first daughter! And so I think [name]Stella[/name] is also out. I’ve never heard of Paiva, Susilva or [name]Urania[/name]. What/who are these names?

I love [name]Cassiopeia[/name] but it’s just a bit too much of a mouthful. [name]Cosima[/name] is probably my favorite, but it feels like SUCH a greek name to me.

[name]Urania[/name] is [name]Muse[/name] of Astronomy in Greek mythology. I totally love it!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Saskia[/name], and think that it’s every bit as unusual and sophisticated as [name]Petra[/name]. You may feel like you’re in a rut, but you don’t need to look any further than this. I also love [name]Liv[/name] from your list, btw. Best of luck!

Thanks lindajoy!

What about [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Liv[/name]?
Or [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Kai[/name]? Too much with our last name? I actually like [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Kai[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]. In [name]Hawaii[/name] [name]Kai[/name] is used equally for boys & girls, and plus it’d be a middle name anyway

I agree, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Saskia[/name] and [name]Petra[/name] together!

I don’t care for [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Kai[/name] [name]Kelly[/name] very much at all, sorry. I trip up on all the K’s, so it doesn’t flow well for me. I like [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Liv[/name] a lot. I love [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Skye[/name] and [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Ciel[/name]. I am usually not much for alliteration, but I think [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Skye[/name] is beautiful! It is musical and dreamy, sophisticated yet spunky and modern. Strong but still quite charming. I love it.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Mara[/name]? I think it’s Scandinavian…

gigi22: LOL but [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Skye[/name] is almost the EXACT SAME name as [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Kai[/name]! There’s just an S in front. I think [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Liv[/name] probably works the best, since [name]Skye[/name]/[name]Kai[/name] has K issues and [name]Ciel[/name] might be too many S sounds. [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name]? I kind of like longer lyrical middle names but stylistically those 2 names might be too far apart to be paired.

wareagle1217: [name]Mara[/name] is nice but a little too straightforward for my taste.