Latest Top 10 First Names

Taking a look at my name card for two big brothers’ names, which would be your top pick(s) for a first name for our planned third and final? Our last name is one syllable and begins with a hard c/k sound. Why did you choose what you did? As always, I look forward to hearing your opinions!

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_m]Calixto[/name_m]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [[name_u]Cass[/name_u]-ee-o-PAY-uh, but [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-ee-o-PEE-uh wouldn’t bother me]
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [pro-SAER-pee-na]

Thanks, Berries!

• [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
  • [name_m]Calixto[/name_m]
  • [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]

0 voters

Tough choice!! I think my top choices would be:
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]

1 Like

Oh wow, I love so many. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is beautiful. [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] will forever be a name I love but am too scared to use myself. Same for [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] faves are: [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]! So underrated! I also like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] for you

1 Like

This is difficult! I was looking for names that I thought matched the quirky class of H and the elegance of A. [name_f]My[/name_f] first vote has to be [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. I think it matches your boys beautifully and has both spunk and elegance. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], for similar reasons, but I think it also matches the length of A’s name. Finally, I picked [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]. I think it works wonderfully in the set but I selfishly picked it because it’s my favorite name on the list and I’d be over the moon to see someone use it.

1 Like

I think I love [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] the most for you… But [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] & [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] would also be fabulous with your boys’ names!

1 Like

I love so many of these for you. [name_f]My[/name_f] top five are [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f].

I especially love the two O- names because they offer a subtle connection to your sons’ names, which both end in O, without being matchy.

1 Like

I really like it, too. You’re right that she doesn’t appear to be getting much love, but I do love the death/rebirth/resurrection connections. I tend to think [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] sounds best alongside my boys over [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], but I guess the world isn’t quite ready for [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]. We will see how I feel down the line.

I almost feel some pressure to use [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] for the sheer fact that I’m NOT too scared to use it and so few others will and it sounds absolutely zippy with our surname!

Thank you for the complimentary assessment of my boys’ names. And selfish picks count too. I have so many names I wish more people would use and want to see out in the world!

I hadn’t given a lot of thought to this but the O hearkening to her brothers would be a very nice touch. It is also very possible that the two O names may take on some serious significance for us so they remain top contenders, certainly.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. I agree with @SparkleNinja18’s description–it’s quirky but elegant. I like that it’s unusual but easy to pronounce, and the goddess would be a fun namesake for a little girl. I also like it with your last name. Second choice would be [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]. It’s pretty with a princessy sound but the edgy underworld association. [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] is interesting, but when you google it the first thing to come up is “the rape of [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f].” I don’t think I would like having that associated with my name. Excited to see what combos you come up with :slight_smile:

This is such a tough choice, all of your options are beautiful!
I think [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is my favorite. I might be biased though because it’s a name I love with my whole heart, but am unsure if I can ever use. I do think it sounds nice with big brothers names, though!
I also like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], [name_m]Calixto[/name_m], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f].
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] are both strong, and sweet and I love the ‘O’ connection to her brothers names. I like [name_m]Calixto[/name_m] for this reason too (also not sure if you do nicknames, but I really love [name_f]Calla[/name_f] for it!), but I’m not sure if three names ending in ‘o’ is too much for you.
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is spunky and very pretty, and also unique while still being familiar.
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is stunning, and might be the best pairing with H and A. I usually hear it pronounced with ‘pee’ instead of ‘pay’ though, so you might have to correct some people.

You can’t go wrong with any of your names though, they’re all wonderful!

I totally get that “rape of [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]” is not the best Google optimization to see with your name. However, given that [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] are equivalent goddesses, the problem you mention does exist with both (there are just as many Classical and Renaissance works called “Rape of [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]” as “Rape of [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f],” but because [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] has not been an established given name, that isn’t what comes to mind necessarily). I find this really interesting though. It reminds me of the whitewashing that happens when classical works get translated, because soooo often the “rape,” usually very graphic and explicit in ancient texts, gets politically-corrected into seeming consensual love between gods and goddesses. Most of the basic wiki info on the goddesses that got raped says they were “abducted.”

More on this later… I’m gonna think this over. But the feminist in me is having so many conflicting concurrent thoughts my head is gonna explode.

I’m linking my [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] combo post here, though, in case others haven’t seen it.

@regionlatbest,
Use [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] it if you get the chance! :wink:

I’m intrigued to hear someone say it sounds like the best pairing. It has been on our girl’s list forever so although I had thought it sounded good enough with H and A to be considered, I hadn’t really considered it to be such a strong pairing since we love it for its own merit (as anyone should love a sibling name, I just feel like sometimes the sibset comes first in consideration for better or worse). [name_m]Can[/name_m] you elaborate on what makes you feel they match well? The pia pronunciation doesn’t bother me, but I’ll have to decide what our policy would be on correction or not until she would be old enough to decide for herself.

1 Like

@hyacinthbucket I will definitely always keep [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] as an option because I love it too much!

Sure, I can try! I have a bad headache right now, so I hope I’m able to explain it properly.
Of course, the most obvious thing is that H & A both have long, slightly dramatic (in the best way), romantic sounding names. They’re interesting and unexpected, but still familiar. They both have easily accessible nicknames, if you or them want to use them. They both have the o sound, along with the letters “io” which is an even more subtle connection. I think meeting someone with those names would be memorable, and would leave a lasting impression. Also when introducing themselves, I think the responses they’d get would be positive ones (and most likely compliments!). That’s not the most important thing when making an impression, I know, but I always think its a nice bonus.
I think both names have a sense of strength, while still being soft. They remind me of people who are kind and gentle, but will also defend the people they love and stick up for themselves when needed. I’d describe them both as friendly names, meaning both they seem like they’d be friendly people and also I’d want to be friends with them. I like that both names are completely unique, but only in the best ways. I grew up with a name where I was always one of three in a class with the same name, and I always wished I had a more distinctive, special name. They both also are names with history and stories behind them. I, of course, think [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] fits all of those things perfectly. Everything I said about your boys names, also makes sense when talking about hers. I think she fits in 100% with H & A, which makes her a fantastic option!
I’m sure there are other connections to be made between the names, but those are the reasons why I originally felt all three were so similar!
I hope this made sense, and I hope it helped a little :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think that [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] are your best bets. I love @ceryle’s point about [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] offering a connection to your son’s names- but the names that end in O I find to make the sibling set too matchy. I personally think that [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is your best bet, for many of the same reasons as @regionlatbest- it also just seems to fit in with your son’s names so well. [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], though it has the nice O, seems a little bit much for me, and the other O name, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], just sounds evil to me. [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] is really pretty and sounds great with H and A but doesn’t fit in with them as well. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] sounds good with H and A as well but I don’t like it as much as [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]. I guess my final ranking (Best to worst of my top four):
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
By the way, I’m an INTJ too! :blush:

2 Likes

I voted [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] because she’s unspeakably perfect and so clunky and romantic all in one! I would love to meet a [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], and she’s perfect with Horati0, especially, but also An@stasio.

I also voted [name_m]Calixto[/name_m] because she’s so intriguing and how rare is that -o ending for a girl?! She seems more modern than Horati0 and An@stasio, but somehow still works really well.

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] aren’t usually my thing, but something about them were really nice with your boys, too.

Good luck!

1 Like