Lawrence Vs Laurence, help

Hello I’d like all your opinions on why you are for/against which version of this name. You can tell me which one you think is best to use. You can be as honest as you like.
I have some reservations with both and positives.
For instance.
Laurence
Positives
Looks less like a surname
Nickname is Laurie which looks great. Also Laurie from Little Women is a nice association. ( Was a great book)
It is the more familiar.
Negatives
Looks feminine
Female name in France.
Laurie to me just looks so girlie.

Lawrence
Positives
Seems more masculine to me.
Nickname Wren. Nickname Lawrie ( means crafty) which honours Scottish paternal side.
Negatives
Lawrie looks awkward
Looks more like a surname.

Definitely ! I’m facing a bit of a dilemma as just don’t know which spelling to use.

I prefer [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] far over [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]! [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women is definitely part of why I like it more.
Also I just like the look better the “w” in the middle of [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] makes it look a bit choppy. [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] is more elegant.
And lastly, I know they are pronounced the same, but for some reason [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] looks like “law-rinse” (rather than “lor-ince”) to me, which I don’t like.

3 Likes

That’s a good observation actually. Thanks

1 Like

I think i prefer [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. Maybe the [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Fox[/name_u] association is swaying me away from that spelling

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], but I like both spellings. [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] feels a bit more rugged to me, while [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] feels buttoned-up. I think it depends on what feel you’re going for.

I like both. I’m kind of torn between the two! I love [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] for [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, but I also love [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. Then again, you could call [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Ren[/name_u].

3 Likes

I know what you mean. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum is saying [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] as she says it’s more french and she is half french so she would say that lol.

1 Like

I love [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] :blue_heart: It seems gentler, smoother and more classic/traditional to me — I find the W in [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] visually a little jarring, although it is still a handsome name.

And I absolutely LOVE [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]. [name_m]Lawrie[/name_m] definitely doesn’t have the same charm, although I do really like [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and even [name_m]Law[/name_m] for short.

2 Likes

I prefer [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] because of [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, and I am picky about Ws in names.

2 Likes

This! And I love [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] in [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women.

3 Likes

I prefer [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. The nn [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] looks too feminine, even with the Little Women association. Depending on the attitudes of his classmates, he may do away with nn [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] / [name_m]Lawrie[/name_m] anyway due to our current state of toxic masculinity (aka, teasing boys who display femininity).

I’m all about smashing gender stereotypes tho!

I also like the nn potential for [name_m]Law[/name_m] or [name_u]Wren[/name_u] with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. It’s a versatile name and would give your son more than one option for expressing himself (a concept that I’m a HUGE fan of with baby names).

1 Like

I like it with the W as it seems more masculine. Seems like unpopular opinion but- [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] is all girl to me.

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and if you’re a nickname person, I really like [name_u]Ren[/name_u] on a boy.

1 Like

Really good points re both names. To me [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] feels ‘right’ but [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] is traditional and I am big on traditional names. Ahhhh

I think both are great but I somewhat prefer [name_u]Laurence[/name_u]. It just looks a bit more appealing to me. I know it’s feminine in [name_u]French[/name_u], but the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation is pretty different from the [name_f]English[/name_f] one so it’s not a big issue for me.

I also like the nickname [name_u]Ren[/name_u].

1 Like