Leah

What do you think of [name]Leah[/name]? (I’m pronouncing it “[name]LAY[/name]-uh.”) It’s been growing on me steadily and I rather like it in a sibling set with [name]Hanna[/name].

What do you think of the following combos?

[name]Leah[/name] [name]Esther[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Judith[/name] / [name]Leah[/name] Yehudis
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Tamar[/name]

[name]Love[/name] it! Though most people will initially pronounce it [name]LEE[/name]-uh and she will have to correct them throughout her life. Beautiful name though, and I like that pronunciation.

IS [name]Leah[/name] pronounced [name]Lay[/name]-a? I don’t know. I have always heard it pronounced [name]Lee[/name]-a. I think [name]Lea[/name] would be pronounced [name]Lay[/name]-a more often. Or [name]Leia[/name], but that’s another story, I guess.

I really like [name]Leah[/name]-- it’s one of those classics that you can’t go wrong with. I’ve never heard it pronounced ‘lay-ah’, though. It’s always ‘lee-ah’. To get to that pronunciation, you’d probably have to go with [name]Leia[/name] or L”a. I guess it’s not that hard to correct people about pronunciation, but it’d be a bit of a hassle. I like it with [name]Hanna[/name], too. [name]Leah[/name] [name]Tamar[/name] is lovely!

I think it’s a regional thing - in the NY metro area, for example, people won’t have a problem pronouncing [name]Leah[/name] as “[name]Lay[/name]-uh” since that is a conventional pronunciation among the Jewish community there. (I am assuming based on your name suggestions that you have a Jewish background). [name]Leah[/name] [name]Tamar[/name] is beautiful.

I’m in the NY metro area and I wouldn’t guess to pronounce [name]Leah[/name] like “[name]Lay[/name]-uh.” All the [name]Leah[/name]'s I’ve met have been [name]LEE[/name]-uh. But I’m not Jewish, so maybe that has something to do with it. I would spell [name]LAY[/name]-uh [name]Leia[/name] or [name]Lea[/name] as well.
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Tamar[/name] is my favorite from your list. The strength of [name]Tamar[/name] balances the girliness of [name]Leah[/name]. I think it goes very well with [name]Hanna[/name].

I love the name [name]Leah[/name] pronounced [name]Lay[/name]-uh (like [name]Princess[/name] [name]Leia[/name] from Starwars…sorry if that’s a bad association but the only most known example I could think of). I have a cousin named [name]Leah[/name] pronounced [name]Lay[/name]-uh which is how they do it in [name]German[/name] speaking countries (we’re Swiss). I also love all of the middle names you picked to go with [name]Leah[/name] as well.

Thanks for all the replies. Regarding pronunciation, in Hebrew it is pronounced “lay-uh” (or “lay-ah”; sometimes my accent gets in the way :wink: ) so I don’t think it would be a problem inside of my own community. Outside my community, however, I can see where it would be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback; you’ve been quite helpful.

I think the pronounciation might be a problem. I am half Jewish and when I see [name]Leah[/name] I think [name]Lee[/name]-ah. When I see [name]Laya[/name], [name]Laia[/name] or [name]Leia[/name] I think [name]Lay[/name]-uh. However, I think that this is probably not the end of the world. I know some people who are called [name]Lea[/name] and pronounce that like [name]Lee[/name]-ah and some who pronounce that [name]Lee[/name].

I love [name]Judith[/name] and [name]Tamar[/name] for middle names!
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] rhymes too much for me.
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Esther[/name] doesn’t shine quite like [name]Leah[/name] [name]Judith[/name] or [name]Leah[/name] [name]Tamar[/name], both of which I adore!

Others to consider:
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Zipporah[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Haddasah[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] Shoshanna