Leah's little sister

See the results of this poll: Which name do you prefer for Leah’s sister?

Respondents: 32 (This poll is closed)

• Rosalie Mae: 14 (44%)
  • Ivy Patricia: 18 (56%)

I voted for [name]Ivy[/name], even though rosalie is one of my favorite names I think [name]Leah[/name] & [name]Ivy[/name] make a cute sib set

I do not think that [name]Rosalie[/name] will be too associated with the Twilight phenomenon, at least hopefully not a few years from now, but I voted for [name]Ivy[/name]. I adore both [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name] (latter is my daughter’s nn), but [name]Leah[/name] (which I also love) sounds very similar to the ending of [name]Rosalie[/name], and for that reason I prefer the set of [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name].

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] would be a lovely choice!

Good luck!

I love [name]Rosalie[/name], but I also think it sounds like it incorporates [name]Leah[/name]'s name, so I don’t think it would work for you to use it. Have you considered using just [name]Rose[/name]?

[name]Ivy[/name] is cute, but I don’t think it’s quite right. It just sounds flimsy next to the classic elegant [name]Leah[/name].

Some other suggestions:
[name]Naomi[/name] ([name]Mimi[/name])
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Amy[/name]

I voted for [name]Ivy[/name]. I agree with pp about the ending of [name]Rosalie[/name] incorporating [name]Leah[/name]'s sound. I would have voted for [name]Rosemary[/name] nn [name]Rosie[/name] over [name]Ivy[/name] if that had been the option but I do really like [name]Ivy[/name].

Thanks for the replies. I do agree with those who said that the “lie” sound in [name]Rosalie[/name] repeats in [name]Leah[/name]'s name. I guess I like the name so much that I was trying to ignore that.

We did originally consider [name]Rosemary[/name] but have an older [name]Rosemary[/name] in the family and I think that using it could cause some trouble as people will assume we’re naming our daughter after her (family politics). [name]Rose[/name] is pretty and was on our list, but I don’t love it nearly as much as [name]Rosalie[/name].

It seems harder to name a second baby- the name of the first puts constraints that we didn’t consider when naming baby #1. For example, my top pick this time around (and hubby likes it too) would have been [name]Lucy[/name] (probably full name of [name]Lucia[/name]) but that’s just too matchy with [name]Leah[/name].

[name]Both[/name] your combos have great flow and I am delighted to see the elegant, sophisticated, all together gorgeous [name]Patricia[/name] on the list.

I do not like [name]Ivy[/name] so my vote went to [name]Rosalie[/name] which is a very pretty name.

I picked [name]Rosalie[/name]. Hmmm. Yeah, the [name]Lee[/name] sounds in both names are a problem. What about [name]Rosalind[/name] nn [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name]?
[name]Ivy[/name] is very cute, too. But since I wouldn’t want to be named [name]Ivy[/name] myself, I have a hard time recommending it.

I voted for [name]Ivy[/name] because it goes so nicely with [name]Leah[/name]. I love [name]Rosalie[/name] but it doesn’t fit as well with [name]Leah[/name].

I voted for [name]Ivy[/name] but I don’t think [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] rings well. Is it possible to make it [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Mae[/name]? Because that sounds really cute! [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Leah[/name]! (ps. do you pron. it [name]Lee[/name]-uh or [name]Lay[/name]-uh?)

I thought about it more and [name]Rosie[/name] [name]Mae[/name] is also super cute! ahh!!

I agree with [name]Susan[/name] on [name]Ivy[/name], not a name I would personally want for myself.

I think [name]Ivy[/name] is fun but maybe doesn’t age well.

[name]Just[/name] [name]Rose[/name] would be classic. [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] sound really pretty to me.

The other [name]Rosey[/name] name I like, but different, is Rhoswen - meaning white rose in Welsh.

[name]Ivy[/name] could make a cute, fun middle. But, you need the family names for middle?

A name with the long I sound that I think sounds better with [name]Leah[/name] is [name]Isla[/name].

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Rose[/name]

Or, Ismaela [name]Rose[/name] ([name]Leah[/name] and Ismaela - both Hebrew)

If you like the V sound in [name]Ivy[/name], maybe some other options are:

[name]Eve[/name] [name]Patricia[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]

Other options:

Rhoswen [name]Ivy[/name]
Rhoswen [name]Mae[/name]

You could do [name]Ivy[/name] as a nickname, so the full name could be something she could grow into.

[name]Ivria[/name] (Hebrew)

[name]Ivria[/name] [name]Mae[/name]

No, don’t like [name]Ivria[/name] with [name]Leah[/name], rhymes.

[name]Ivana[/name] (nn [name]Ivy[/name]) [name]Mae[/name]

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Re: [name]Rosalind[/name]. We briefly considered [name]Rosaline[/name] which is apparently a variation of [name]Rosalind[/name], but then I read that the name is actually of Germanic origin and probably means something along the lines of gentle or weak horse. Since [name]Leah[/name] is often said to mean weary one or cow, it seems like we”d be setting up a naming theme based on tired barn animals. Probably no one would realize this, but it would bother me.

I guess we don”t have to have a middle name with a family connection, but it”s very much my preference. I”d like the first name, which gets used all the time, to be one that I really love to use the middle name to honour family members.

I love [name]Isla[/name] but my husband has vetoed it. His taste in names is pretty conservative, I guess? His favourites are very familiar names like [name]Emily[/name], [name]Sarah[/name]- classics that are nice but get used too often for me.

We do have [name]Evelyn[/name] with nn [name]Evie[/name] on our longer list of potential names. My husband”s name is [name]Adam[/name] and I wondered if it sounded too much like [name]Adam[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]?

For whoever asked: we pronounce [name]Leah[/name] as [name]Lee[/name]-uh.

Interesting he likes [name]Ivy[/name] since he generally likes the classics. I think if you both really love [name]Ivy[/name], go for it!

I prefer [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Mae[/name] to [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] though, personally.

I love [name]Sarah[/name] though I think the [name]Sara[/name] spelling is fresher. [name]Sara[/name] [name]Mae[/name] is pretty.

[name]Adam[/name] and [name]Evie[/name], I see the concern.

[name]Leah[/name] being a Biblical name would suit all the Biblical girl’s names eg

[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Esther[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Bethany[/name]

or modern names like

[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Alexa[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Courtney[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Jessica[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] (lovely)
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Halle[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Tahlia[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Holly[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Ellen[/name] or [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Skye[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Brittany[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Paige[/name]

I don’t like [name]Ivy[/name] as I have already mentioned and I don’t think that [name]Rosalie[/name] is the ticket either but I do think that [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Leah[/name] make an outstanding sibset.

I think you should go back and consider the names both you and your husband both love since ultimately you’ll be happiest going that route.

[name]Ivy[/name] (even though this one has mixed reviews - all names are subjective)
[name]Rosalie[/name] (I think the “lee” sounds in both is a negligible issue)
[name]Lucy[/name] ([name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Leah[/name] are cute!)
[name]Lucia[/name] ([name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Leah[/name] are cute!)

[name]Mae[/name] and [name]Patricia[/name] as middles

I like [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Mae[/name] or [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] best!

Would you say ([name]Lou[/name]-chee-a) or ([name]Lou[/name]-sha)?

[name]Just[/name] wanted to thank you all for your thoughts on our names.

We still like both [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name], but are going back to the drawing board a bit for some new ideas. If it’s okay, will probably be back at some point for some more feedback.

Thanks again!

A thousand votes for [name]Rosalie[/name]!!! I don’t think the long e sounds in both girls’ names is a big deal, I mean they are two individuals - they won’t be a sibling “set” forever. If you love [name]Rosalie[/name], go for it! It’s beautiful!