Lenore.

I love [name]Lenore[/name]; especially after the whole [name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allan[/name] [name]Poe[/name] connection, though I’ve yet to read the actual poem (I really want to. ;_;). It almost sounds sort of gothic or dark, with just enough to give it an interesting twist, and it sounds beautifully old-fashioned to me.
What do you think? (:

I do find the name (and [name]Poe[/name]) interesting, but I can’t see myself naming a child AFTER that poem…

Now that you bring this up, maybe that’s why I don’t like the name [name]Annabelle[/name]…

It’s middle aged/old lady to me.

I see where you’re all coming from. Anyhow, I also find [name]Anabel[/name] lovely, now that you mention the name. (:

You inspired me to find other “[name]Poe[/name]” connected names.
Here’s what I’ve found so far :slight_smile: (since we’re in a “girls” forum, I’ll only do girls names)

[name]Rosalie[/name] - his sister
[name]Elizabeth[/name] nn [name]Eliza[/name] - his mom
[name]Virginia[/name] - wife
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Elmira[/name] - childhood sweatheart
[name]Maria[/name] - aunt
[name]Louisa[/name] - foster father’s second wife (kind of a stretch on a connection :wink:

Characters:
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Lee[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]
Ulalume
[name]Helen[/name]

Darn…ran out of time :confused:
Those are fun to start with though :slight_smile:

I think that [name]Lenore[/name] is very pretty, and I love [name]Leonora[/name], [name]Leonor[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], and [name]Eleanora[/name], too. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Lenore[/name] tends to sound rather middle-aged, but that’s one of the things I like about it. It sounds gothic because of the [name]Poe[/name] connection, but also it sounds like “[name]Le[/name] Noir”, the word for “black” in French. I would probably like [name]Eleanor[/name] better if it weren’t so wholesome sounding, not that I think [name]Lenore[/name] is unwholesome sounding. I do think [name]Lenore[/name] sounds a bit tidier also, it was just more popular at a time where names from that time are not popular now because people like a few decades earlier, if that makes sense. There was a phase when people got all modern-thinking and industrialized and forward moving and shook off all those old sentimental names we like again now, so [name]Lenore[/name] is progressive in those terms - our current trends will progress toward them also.

One of my best friends is called [name]Lenore[/name], but I’d not heard it before I met her. I like it now, but I’m not sure if that’s because of her - I seem to remember thinking it was an odd name when we met but that was 10 years ago, so it’s probably sounding fresher along with the other old lady names anyway.

There’s a couple of things worth mentioning. One is that she always has to explain the name, and people usually ask her to repeat it until she says “[name]Eleanor[/name] with the E taken off”. Second is that here in the UK it’s a brand of fabric softener, so she got a lot of teasing about that.

Really sorry that I never responded to this! Anyhow, I really appreciate all of the input. (: It’s really helpful to hear about a [name]Lenore[/name] - especially knowing what troubles she had with her name. Still love it, though! =3 Oh, thanks for putting up the list of [name]Poe[/name]-related names. [name]Love[/name] it, and there are some GORGEOUS names!

I don’t really like [name]Lenore[/name], but I do like [name]Leona[/name]. It feels fresher to me, less old lady and more ready for restoration. (But that could just be me:)

I adore [name]Lenore[/name]! (That rhymed!) I love the [name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allan[/name] [name]Poe[/name] connection and just think its a great name.

I have such a macabre streak in me that the reason I love the name [name]Lenore[/name] is because of “The [name]Raven[/name]”. That’s why I love the name [name]Leonora[/name], too. It sounds like [name]Lenore[/name]. I love [name]Annabel[/name] because of “[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Lee[/name]”.

I agree completely, [name]Susan[/name]! Aww, [name]Dolly[/name], I was hoping you would reply soon. (;

Personally, [name]Lenore[/name] sounds very old-lady-in-musty-lace to me. If you’re looking for very Gothy, dark-sounding names, check it out:http://www.alternativebabynames.com/index.php?goto=gothic and http://www.alternativebabynames.com/index.php?goto=wiccan_baby_names

Help me out! Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums