Leona Pronunciation

I have been pronouncing this a specific way in my head for years and it just occurred to me that it might actually be pronounced differently.
Would you say Leona is pronounced like Leo or like Leon
Which is to say is it
Lee-Oh-Nuh
Or
Lee-Ah-Nuh

1 Like

I would say Lee-OH-nuh

5 Likes

lee-OH-nuh!

1 Like

lee-OH-nuh!

In [name_f]English[/name_f], I’d say lee-OH-nuh. In my accent, I say LEH-oh-nah.

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] natural instinct is Lee-oh-nuh. However I also know people who pronounce it Leh-oh-nuh and think both are acceptable pronunciations

1 Like

Lee-OH-nuh to me!

Lee-oh-nuh is how I’ve always pronounced it and how the ones I’ve met have said it.

With an Oh sound like [name_u]Leo[/name_u]

Lee-OH-nuh like the singer [name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]

it’s lee-OH-nuh for me, though i could also easily go for lay-OH-nuh. it wouldn’t cross my mind to pronounce it like leon (unless spelt leonna, which i would say lee-ON-uh)

Lee-OH-nuh. Rhymes with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f].

5 Likes

lee-OH-nuh

lee-O-nə. O as in boat.

For me it would be lee-OH-na, although I might also wonder if it should be pronounced lay-OH-na.

1 Like

Lee-oh-na in English-speaking countries, Lay-oh-na in other countries.

For Leon-a, I would spell it [name_f]Liana[/name_f].

[name_u]Lee[/name_u] oh na

yes, I was concerned it might be a [name_f]Lyla[/name_f] [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] situation with multiple acceptable spellings. I had been saying Lee-oh-na but had a brief moment where i thought I might be wrong. Seems like consensus says I wasn’t

How would you all spell it if you like the pronunciation Le-on-na? Both [name_m]Leon[/name_m] and [name_m]Lee[/name_m] are family names and I love the potential to tie them together. Would you spell it [name_f]Leonna[/name_f]? [name_f]Leana[/name_f]? [name_f]Liana[/name_f]?

Edit: Didnt realize this was such and old thread!