Leonardo

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

I am really in love with the name [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] (nn. Leo) for our second baby boy. I really like the spanish/italian pronunciation of the name as Leo-NAR-do. Half of our family is hispanic so the name is pretty common. However, DH mentioned that he’d be probably be called [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], pronounced as Len-nard as it is much more common in US. I keep thinking these are 2 very different pronunciations and either way he would be mainly be know as [name_m]Leo[/name_m] anyways. But do you think this would be the case? [name_m]Just[/name_m] trying to do my homework before picking the name :blush:

[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] “Leo” is very cool! I really don’t think it would be shortened to Leonard–like you said, they’re separate names with totally different sounds! I went to school with a [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] (pronounced the way you’re going for) who went by a mix of his full name and [name_m]Leo[/name_m], and I don’t remember anyone ever saying [name_m]Leonard[/name_m].

1 Like

[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] is charming. I don’t think people would pronounce it [name_m]Leonard[/name_m]- [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] DiCaprio is well known enough after all

1 Like

I don’t think ppl will shorten it to [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] at all, don’t even know the last time I heard that name.
I mostly associate [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] with much older ppl but [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] gives me different vibes, it’s handsome and dashing.

2 Likes

[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] is well known in the US. [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] DiCaprio and [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] the ninja turtle!! [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] is more obscure/ a grandpa name.

1 Like

I don’t see how he would be called [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] if he didn’t introduce himself/wasn’t introduced as [name_m]Leonard[/name_m]. [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] DiCaprio has popularized the name enough that I don’t think he’d have many issues.

1 Like

Thank you all for sharing your opinion with me. I think the same way, but just wanted to make sure. :blush: Husband watches The Big Bang [name_u]Theory[/name_u] and I guess that is where he is getting it from lol. He loves the name too though. :heart: I am pretty sure this is the name we are going to be using. So exciting!

1 Like

I think they are totally two different names. I don’t think it would be mispronounced!!

1 Like

I love it!

1 Like

I like [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]. I can’t imagine people mispronouncing it as [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], since [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] diCaprio and [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] da [name_m]Vinci[/name_m] are so well-known.

1 Like

One year I taught 5 Leonardos. Three went by [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and one by [name_m]Leon[/name_m]. Don’t remember the last, but it wasn’t [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]. I think moms like this full on name more than boys do.

1 Like