Leonidas?

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce the name [name]Leonidas[/name]? I’ve read the most correct one is lee-o-knee-thas or lee-o-knee-das. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I always thought it was pronounced lee-o-nye-das which I don’t like as well but leo-knee-thas sounds much better! What is your opinion of the name? Strong and masculine or snooty and pretentious?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I have always heard [name]Leo[/name]-nye-das. I think its a bit much, but the nn [name]Leo[/name] makes it more accessible.

I always thought it was [name]Lee[/name]-oh-ny-das. I think it is a cool name, but a lot of name for someone to pull off. It would be a great middle name with a more common first name.

The pronunciation depends on the culture. Original Greek mythological pronunciation is “lee-o-NIE-das” but Spanish spell it [name]Leonides[/name] and pronounce it “lee-oh-NEE-days”. I also remember a Soviet president called [name]Leonid[/name] Brezhnev which is not a good association. [name]Leonidas[/name] was the name of a Spartan king and also a saint and martyr. In my opinion, it would be alot of name to live up to for a son and he would probably be given the nickname of [name]Leo[/name] anyway. I prefer just [name]Leo[/name] or even [name]Leopold[/name].

I pronounce it [name]Lee[/name]-oh-nee-das, but I’m sure it depends on where you are.

I find the name to be a bit much, personally, especially since I think [name]Leo[/name] is such a great name on its own.

I love [name]Leonidas[/name] and I don’t think it’s too much and it does have the cute nickname of [name]Leo[/name] :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always said it leo-[name]NYE[/name]-duhs and I suspect it depends on where you are from.

I’ve always heard ‘[name]Lee[/name]-o-nigh-dus’. I think its a brilliant name (though I’m a [name]Shakespeare[/name] fan) though I do agree with PP that it is quite a lot of name. But with nn [name]Leo[/name], I don’t see why it couldn’t work if you’re in love with the name.

I look at it and say “[name]Lee[/name]-oh-knee-dus”.

I think if there is some confusion or question as to how to pronounce it, come up with something else. The kid will go through his life correcting people, and that is annoying.

What is so wrong with just [name]Leo[/name]? Or [name]Leonard[/name] with the NN [name]Leo[/name]?