Léonore or Leonora?

Both are very similar, share the same meaning and origin and are both names of [name_f]Opera[/name_f] heroines dear to my heart. Léonore from Beethoven’s “[name_m]Fidelio[/name_m]” and [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] from “Il Trovatore” by [name_u]Verdi[/name_u]. However, I pronounce them slightly different, Léonore being [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-uh-nor and [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh-nor-ah. Where I live names can have the accent marks and such, so it’s not the issue.

Also, suggestions of middle names for either name would be great!

Am bumping this!

I prefer the [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] spelling, although if you live in an area where people predominantly speak English, it might get pronounced [name_m]Len[/name_m]-ore instead of lay-uh-nor. I think the [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] spelling is lovely too, but with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Norah[/name_f] being popular names right now, it doesn’t stand out as much as [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] would. (sorry, no clue how to add the accent over the e as I’m typing in the US right now!)

I prefer the [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-uh-nor pronunciation and have [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] on my list for that reason…
I’m not as fond of the Léonore spelling, but it has personal significance to you so it’s the one I would choose out of these two. I love [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] as well, but she’s more prim where Léonore is chic. ^^

I love Léonore [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] from your signature, but I’m not into [name_f]Divina[/name_f] at all.

Some middles with hopefully an operatic air to them:
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] Everild
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] Ombeline
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Yseult[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Fiorella[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] / [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Sibel[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Madrigal[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] Betsabé
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Dido[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Dulcie[/name_f] / [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Delphi[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Esclarmonde[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Philomel[/name_f] (arcahic term for Nightingale)
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Lileas[/name_f]

Léonore [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Elettra[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Psyche[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Aminta[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Atalanta[/name_f]
Léonore [name_u]Echo[/name_u]
Léonore [name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Valencia[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Jolie[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Parisa[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Zephyra[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Anwen[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Lucretia[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Fiamma[/name_f] / Léonore [name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Fenella[/name_f]
Léonore Nightingale
Léonore [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Vevina[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Zenovia[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Silvana[/name_f]

I definitely prefer Léonore! Some middles I like are Léonore [name_f]Cosette[/name_f], Léonore [name_f]Mireille[/name_f], and also Léonore [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] from your signature!

Another vote for Léonore. It sounds more elegant and sophisticated. And I strongly dislike [name_f]Nora[/name_f]/[name_f]Norah[/name_f], so I’d try to avoid that.

Personally I prefer Léonore, but [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] is very pretty as well. So it really depends on the middle name. I love Léonore [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] from your list!! :slight_smile:

Léonore [name_f]Camille[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Eliska[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Acacia[/name_f]
Léonore Tamina
Léonore [name_f]Vienne[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Ilsa[/name_f]
Léonore [name_f]Odelia[/name_f]

[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Heloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Araceli[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Melusine[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Ondine[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Esme[/name_f]

I’ve never heard of it being pronounced [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-uh-nore! That’s so beautiful! Here’s a little list!

[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Leda[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Viveca[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Catharina[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Katarina[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Katarine[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Cyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Prima[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvine[/name_f]

Favorites or [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Katharina[/name_f] and [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] [name_f]Cyra[/name_f]! :slight_smile: [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] is beautiful

I like [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] more. [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] [name_u]Rowen[/name_u].

I prefer [name_f]Leonora[/name_f].

I prefer Léonore.

I think both names are just lovely and since you like both equally, I would choose one of them depending on how many syllables were in your last name, since [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] has four and [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] has three. Perhaps say them out loud or write them both with your last name to see how it flows?