Leroy - just a good dog's name or could it be used for a boy?

See the results of this poll: Leroy - what do you think?

Respondents: 29 (This poll is closed)

• Usable for a child : 19 (66%)
  • Just a good dog’s name: 10 (34%)

I love it. [name]Cheerful[/name], funky, and regal somehow all at once.

It makes me think of “Hey [name]Leroy[/name]! Your mama! She callin’ you man!”

My boyfriend’s middle name is [name]Leroy[/name], and there are funny remarks about it all the time. I don’t find it horrible, though. There are two pronunciations that I’ve heard, Leh-[name]ROY[/name] and [name]LEE[/name]-[name]Roy[/name]. Which did you have in mind? The first seems less dog-like but the latter is more standard.

I’m thinking [name]LEE[/name]-[name]Roy[/name].

I think it’s a good name. It’s my husband’s grandfather’s name. I don’t want to use it myself but I’d love to meet a little [name]Leroy[/name].

A song for [name]Leroy[/name]:

I have good feelings for the name [name]Leroy[/name]. I knew an older couple, the husband named [name]Leroy[/name] ([name]LEE[/name]-roy), but his wife called him Leh-[name]ROY[/name] in her soft and sweet southern accent. They were so cute.

I was thinking more along the lines of this …

Bad bad [name]Leroy[/name] [name]Brown[/name], baddest man in the whole damn town …

I absolutely [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Leroy[/name], pronounced either way, but especially Leh-[name]ROY[/name].

YES! This warms my heart. My pop used to sing this in the shower. “…badder than old [name]King[/name] Kong, meaner than a junkyard dog”

Sorry All I can think of is Sho’nuff when I hear that name.

[name]Leroy[/name]!! Play time’s over boy.

My dad’s middle name was [name]Leroy[/name] (pr. [name]Lee[/name]-roy). I’m not a fan of it (I love [name]Roy[/name] though), but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be useable for a child.

I dunno, I am pretty open minded but [name]Leroy[/name] is just sooooooo cliche “redneck” to me. It’s kind of the go to example of a dim witted, “Bah-heep” kind of guy… like Cledus or [name]Earl[/name]. Also, I’m not sure if anyone remembers it but there was a viral internet video of a guy playing Call of Duty (I think) yelling “LEEEROOOOOY [name]JENKINS[/name]” in a funny voice so I think that association will pop into young people’s minds.

Ok, totally not Call of Duty…tells you how much I know about video games. :smiley:

Oh, warning there is some foul language in that clip. haha

this! [name]Leroy[/name] is fab.

All the [name]Leroy[/name]'s I’ve encountered have been black or mixed race. I don’t know if that’s just coincidence or if it’s a name more commonly used in that community, but just throwing it out there that it might have associations with one ethnicity over others. And personally I’m not keen on it, I find it quite middle aged, as both [name]Lee[/name] and [name]Roy[/name] aren’t names commonly used on children any more.

Makes me think of a scene in Paper [name]Moon[/name]. [name]Moses[/name] Pray is going to “rassle” a hillbilly for the right to drive his truck. [name]One[/name] of the other country brothers says, “Make him say ‘calf rope,’ [name]Leroy[/name]!”

When I lived in Kansas, there were two sets of twin brothers in town. I kid you not, the first set were named [name]Lee[/name] and [name]Roy[/name], and the second set were named [name]Lee[/name]-roy and [name]Roy[/name]-lee.

A more modern ref of course is LEEEEEEROY…JENKINNNNS.

I don’t like it on a dog or a child to be honest.

I like it! I spent my childhood reading the Encyclopedia [name]Brown[/name] mystery series; the main character being [name]Leroy[/name] “Encyclopedia” [name]Brown[/name]. [name]Leroy[/name] also reminds me of the movie [name]Leroy[/name] and Stitch, one of [name]Lilo[/name] and Stitch’s sequels.

I know a [name]Leroy[/name] he’s like 27 now. If i remember rightly his name is [name]Leroy[/name] [name]James[/name]