Less than 3 weeks to go... please help us decide

We are having trouble deciding on a name for our daughter. We already have a son named [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] ([name_m]Ben[/name_m]) and very much prefer traditional, classic names. We’d like to honor one or both of our moms through the baby’s middle name using either [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] (which is a combo of our moms’ middle names).

We’ve narrowed her first name down to:

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] (unsure if I’d name her [name_f]Elise[/name_f] outright or use [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] with [name_f]Elise[/name_f] as a nickname)

Would love to her any thoughts or opinions!

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

[name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] would be absolutely gorgeous! I think I actually prefer [name_f]Elise[/name_f] on its own! Second pick would be [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f].

2 Likes

Seconding [name_f]Elise[/name_f]–it’s my absolute favorite from your list! Simple, classic, gentle-yet-strong, and overall lovely. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] is perfection (or even [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Annemarie[/name_f]). I definitely think [name_f]Elise[/name_f] can stand on it’s own, and I like it more that way. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Elise[/name_f], followed by [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] (maybe [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]?), followed by just-[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is such a great classic name too, just not my style. You really can’t go wrong here!

I like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] most. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] has always been one of my absolute favorite names. I normally like names that are a little more unique, but timeless names, such as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] always have a charm to me that no others do. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] has so much history and your daughter would have so many fabulous namesakes and roll models. Plus, [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]’s nn potential is unmatched. I’ve never been a huge fan of [name_f]Elise[/name_f], but it certainly works well with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and there are even more nn. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] sounds just a little repetitive with the “L” sound, but I do love [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], so I think it’s fine. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] though. It has meaning to you, as well as a very nice flow.

I like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], but not as much as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. One of the main reasons I don’t like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] as much is it’s always shortened to [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. [name_u]Alex[/name_u] is a cute little nickname, but it’s not a regal and beautiful as [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], and I don’t understand why it’s always used over [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]. Still, [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] would be a pretty choice.

[name_f]My[/name_f] least favorite on your list is [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. I don’t dislike it, but it sounds like a dated 80s-90s name. It doesn’t have the timeless, traditional, feel that your other names have. Maybe [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] would be better?

Overall, I think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is best. It goes very well and is very stylistically similar to [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. There is so much nn potential, and it even allows you to keep [name_f]Elise[/name_f], if you want to. But really, the history of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is admirable, and I think it’s a name that any girl would be proud of.

1 Like

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is really beautiful to me. In fact, it’s my middle name! If I could wind back the clock, I would insist on being called [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] from a young age. The nickname options alone make it a fantastic choice.

I absolutely agree with you on [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] pick for first names is [name_f]Elise[/name_f]. I do love the sound of [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] but with the names you’ve posted I think [name_f]Ann[/name_f]- [name_u]Marie[/name_u] flows better. If you were to want [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] I would probably suggest switching it to [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] in which case I like [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] with that one.

[name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] is my top choice :heart:

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my personal favorite of your list, and I love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u]. Honestly, I think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is the best style match for [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] anyway. [name_f]My[/name_f] vote goes to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

[name_f]Elise[/name_f], as a stand-alone name, is by far my favorite. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Annemarie[/name_f] ideally.

I knew an [name_f]Elyse[/name_f] growing up. It can definitely stand on its own. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Annemarie[/name_f] work well.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] would be lovely and i like how it gives you the option of [name_f]Elise[/name_f] too

[name_f]Elise[/name_f] is classic yet distinctive, a rare combo.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] nn [name_f]Elise[/name_f] would be so beautiful! Classic, sweet and elegant with a quirky and gentle nickname.

All the first names on your list are gorgeous! [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] is a great name, but unfortunately, I don’t think it flows well with any first name.
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] would be a nice name, but I feel like something is missing in this combo. In my opinion, [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] needs a stronger middle name. However, [name_u]Anne[/name_u]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] doesn’t flow well with [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. The same thing happens with [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f].

Would you consider [name_f]Marianne[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u], with ‘[name_f]Elise[/name_f]’ as the nickname!

I’d say ‘[name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u]’, but I don’t think it flows as well.

All the names are lovely, but [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u] sounds like it might be ideal as she can be [name_f]Elise[/name_f] but if you (or she) later decides against it there’s still so many nn options to choose from. I also feel like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] goes best with any of the middle name options and sounds especially gorgeous with [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u]!

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

I have an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. I have never regretted the choices I made. [name_f]My[/name_f] girls loved their names. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] became known as [name_f]Liz[/name_f] or [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]. [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is is still [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. They are young adults now.

I’m going to throw this out there, even though it’s not officially one of the names you’ve narrowed down.

[name_f]Annelise[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]

or [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] (not sure which combo was whose mom)

I just love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] with [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. Both names are longer with nickname options, beautiful but not fusty. I personally love [name_u]Anne[/name_u]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom’s middle name is [name_f]Ann[/name_f] and my sister’s is [name_u]Marie[/name_u], and if I had had a second daughter I was going to use [name_u]Anne[/name_u]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u], and I knew my mom would understand needing the “e” on [name_u]Anne[/name_u] (we both LOVE [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables).

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] sounds very classic and nice and sounds well with [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] would also be a great nickname! I’m inclined to think this is my favorite option.

I also like the names [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] with the middle name [name_f]Ann[/name_f], but prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] overall.

I love [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] as a name, but it seems wordy as a middle name for these choices.

Full disclosure, [name_f]Ann[/name_f] is a common middle name where I’m from and I tend to combine short and long names, so [name_f]Ann[/name_f] is what I tend to lean towards in these choice.

Great choices and good luck!