Let's talk about Pia

Hello, berries!

I have recently fallen in love with the name [name_f]Pia[/name_f]. It has all the sweet gentleness of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but in a smaller package, which is a huge appeal to me since I have a three syllable last name and am trying to avoid a longer first name.

I find the letter “P” to be very feminine and soft, which I adore, but I hate so many standard “P” girl names, such as [name_f]Paula[/name_f], [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], [name_f]Patricia[/name_f], [name_u]Peyton[/name_u], etc. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Pia[/name_f] are the two I just love.

I know it’s a little different, but not unheard of. My friend knows a [name_f]Pia[/name_f] and I’ve heard of a few on different shows, so it’s not totally crazy. Browsing nameberry though, I didn’t see a thread on it.

Thoughts? And middle name suggestions?
I’m such a sucker for [name_f]Rose[/name_f] in the middle spot but I’d love some other ideas, too!

Thanks!

I don’t mind it but I grew up with a [name_f]Pia[/name_f] who was teased a lot about her name. I think she legally changed it in high school. Obviously that is just one experience though. There is a more diverse pool of names now than when I was little so [name_f]Pia[/name_f] might not get the same flack that the girl I knew did. I understand the attraction and appeal of the name and think you should continue to gather thoughts.

Thank you for your honest response! Obviously I can see where teasing may occur, but I’m just not into [name_f]Tia[/name_f]/[name_f]Gia[/name_f]/[name_f]Mia[/name_f] at all. I also feel like any name can be made fun of if you’re creative enough (like [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] being “I moan” backwards). I’ve heard it a few times though so I don’t think it’s too crazy plus like you said, names are so diverse and different these days it may be more acceptable.

My hesitation with it is that the one time I heard it (both in real life and on TV, etc.) was on a TV show. I’m not even sure how to concisely describe this, but the main character was on the phone with a bad guy, trying to distract him while her partner was working on ambushing him, and she pretended there was another girl with her named [name_f]Pia[/name_f] doing very sexual things to her. Meh. I don’t know. I just can’t shake it, and [name_f]Pia[/name_f] has taken on this very sexual feeling to me. I don’t know. The more I think of [name_f]Pia[/name_f], though, the softer it feels and the sweeter. I’m starting to like it much more! I love [name_f]Mia[/name_f] a lot, and am not too fond of the others, but if I did have to pick a second, now that I’ve actually given [name_f]Pia[/name_f] a shot, I think it might be her. The teasing potential does bother me quite a bit, but I still think it looks pretty and feels sweet. I grew up with a lot of kids with very unusual names, and yet, I’m not sure [name_f]Pia[/name_f] would get by, unscathed? I can’t really say for sure. None of the kids I knew really got picked on because of their names, though. I guess it depends on the area. I think [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] or [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Pia[/name_f] would be safer, so she’d have another option to fall back on if [name_f]Pia[/name_f] is too awful, but I guess that defeats the purpose of the short-and-sweet [name_f]Pia[/name_f]. :frowning:

Good luck!

Thanks for the response!

That name doesn’t have a sexual association for me because I didn’t see that show, but I can get how one character can ruin a good name or make you think of something negative.

I just love the nickname “Sweet Pea” when she’s little. Or “P” when she’s an adult. I also don’t find it super weird or more tease-worthy than other names, but since it’s so unusual I could see why kids would. There are worse names hat are used in my opinion.

The only way I could imagine kids teasing is saying things like “[name_f]Pia[/name_f] has to pee” or something, which I would thing would get old pretty quickly. It’s not very inventive. If you wanted a longer form there’s [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Pia[/name_f] would be fine on its own.

Olympia is cool, but I like that Pia is short, otherwise I think I’d use Penelope for a longer P name. Stevenson is also very masculine so I like that Pia and Penelope kind of balance it out where Olympia isn’t very feminine sounding in my opinion.

Stevenson sounds like an old politician, so I’m determined to make it pop with something gentle and pretty:P

It’s really cute!!

I’m a tad leery of this one; it’s a very pretty name in theory and one I want to like, but my ears get hung up on “pee.” I know this might sound like a long shot, but if your daughter had any sort of medical problems that resulted in bladder control issues, it could be very embarrassing and hard to live down. This could be a potential problem even if she doesn’t have a chronic condition but is just a bed-wetter in childhood, as many children are. Yes, I do agree with you that all names have the potential for teasing, and we certainly live in a more diverse and accepting world than we did twenty years ago. But you still want to consider all angles with names that are off the beaten path and try not to hand kids any obvious weapons.

I couldn’t use [name_f]Pia[/name_f] myself, but if you love it to the point that you can’t envision living without it, I fully sympathize with and understand that.

I think it is lovely!

I know a [name_f]Pia[/name_f] in her 30/40s and I didn’t even bat an eye when I found out her name. I think it’s a nice, short, sweet name just like you’re looking for. All names have teasing potential and if it’s not their name, it could be something else, like their hair. I wouldn’t worry about it!

@micke156 thank you! I agree completely. I first heard it and thought it sounded normal enough, just not common. Thanks.

[name_f]Pia[/name_f] could be short for [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], or the more unusual names like [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] and [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]?

@racheljoy - I do not have any negative associations with [name_f]Pia[/name_f] either. I’ve been familiar with the name for some time. It’s what we ask fellow Berries for - any opinions for teasing, associations etc- in case we have missed something about the name. After considering all the possibilities, I would not think there is anything worthy of worry.
I note you say the alternative is [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. I like this name also but not nn [name_u]Penny[/name_u].
I would go Penelelope -called ‘[name_f]Pia[/name_f]’- glorious. but that’s me (4 syllable surname.)
[name_u]Forever[/name_u] changing my mind and love of long names makes this my choice, but if you are sure and adore [name_f]Pia[/name_f] - I agreeuse it. Feminine, sophisticated and distinctive.
Best wishes.

[name_f]Pia[/name_f] is a lovely name! I do see some potential for teasing, but if that doesn’t bug you, I’d go for it. :slight_smile: Have you considered [name_f]Piera[/name_f]? That’s a nice one too.

I absolutely adore the name [name_f]Pia[/name_f]! I think it’s soft, sweet, and totally approachable.

My aunt is named [name_f]Pia[/name_f] haha. I guess I’m super biased, because where I live [name_f]Pia[/name_f] is like a pretty common name for women in their 40s and 50s. If I try to be objective, it is pretty sweet and it probably doesn’t sound as dated in other parts of the world :slight_smile:

Thank you for the lovely comments! It has all been noted.

I’ve never heard of [name_f]Piera[/name_f] – is it pronounced Peer-a or Pi-air-a?

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] nn [name_f]Pia[/name_f] is a great idea, too. Not really looking for alternatives, maybe just middle name suggestions ? It’s such a short name so not sure what to follow it with! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is always a fav.

[name_f]Pia[/name_f] is a gorgeous name, it’s sweet and elegant. I would team [name_f]Pia[/name_f] with a longer middle name. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely but I would use a longer name to work with [name_f]Pia[/name_f] in the middle name slot.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] variants as middle names…
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] Rosabel

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Therese[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]

: )

I like it but I would definitely use it as a nn: [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], Casseopeia, [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f], maybe even [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]