LGBTQ+ Namesakes

I’ve been thinking of LGBTQ+ names (not ttc). I kinda think [name_f]Marsha[/name_f], after [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] P. [name_m]Johnson[/name_m], would be a nice middle, but it’s kinda dated, and I really don’t like the sound. However, I’m liking [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]. I considered whatever the P stands for, but apparently it’s “pay it no mind”. Definitely a statement, but not a good name for a child. What are some other good FN + [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] combos?

Also, I’ve always like [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], and I could use it to honor [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Rivera.
I could also go with [name_f]Sappho[/name_f] as a MN. I also like [name_f]Boudicca[/name_f] as a middle, so it would fit with a theme of influential women as a middle. I couldn’t go for [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] (as in Milk) since I used it for a character I wrote.

In summary:

What are good first names for [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]? Or for [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]? Does [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] work as an honor for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Rivera? What are some good alternatives to [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] (as in Gittings)? Is Bilitis nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] wearable? What are some other LGBTQ+ namesakes?

Edit: How could I have forgotten Marie and October (girl in red) and June (Pride Month)?

Edit 2: How could I have forgotten Elisa and Marcela!?

6 Likes

Oo I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and I love it, so I definitely say [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] work! :blush: Some alternatives to [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] are anything that ends in ara, [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f], [name_f]Lara[/name_f], or maybe [name_u]Berry[/name_u]. Bilitis sounds a little weird to me. Some other ideas are…
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmine[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] “[name_u]Billie[/name_u]”
[name_u]Berry[/name_u] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Boudicca[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]

I’m not sure about your names, but since I’m bi, I’d love to honor historic and influential bi people. (Though I absolutely acknowledge what others have done for the LGBT+ movement as well). Realistically, I’d never actually do this, because I know I’d get the “don’t push your sexuality/politics/beliefs on your kids!” spiel, but if I did I’d use:

Freddie (Freddie Mercury)
Bowie (David Bowie)
Wilde or Wilder (Oscar Wilde, can’t use Oscar as it’s a family member)
Dean (James Dean)
Billie (Billie Holiday + Billie Joe Armstrong-- the only live person I would consider tbh)
Malcolm (Malcolm X; never fully confirmed but influential nonetheless)

I’d also use Kit/Kitt after Eartha Kitt–she was straight as far as I know, but her activism for multiple equality issues is incredibly inspiring to me.

4 Likes

@auroracallista I am a big fan of [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_m]Joe[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] :slight_smile:

Me too! [name_f]My[/name_f] bff’s brother was a young teen when we were kids and he’d blast them all the time & his little garage band would do covers, so at 7+ I was very much influenced by [name_u]Green[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u] & [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_m]Joe[/name_m]. For a school project when I was 12 we got to go to a ‘record’ store & we had to listen to a folk album and write essays about theme/meanings/current events at the time and I submitted an essay arguing that [name_u]Green[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u]’s “Dookie” was actually a folk album and therefore I should be able to use it–and it actually worked! I don’t think she realized it was explicit lol.

1 Like

@sgsg8 I agree with you on Bilitis. Good group namesake, but sounds like a disease.

Audre Lorde
Maybe [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Cather[/name_f]? But don’t tell that to the purists!
[name_u]Bret[/name_u] [name_u]Easton[/name_u] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] (you’ve got three names there!)
[name_m]Beauford[/name_m] [name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
Mickalene [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Javier[/name_m] Munoz (argh! I’m sorry I can’t find the spanish nn symbol to spell his name correctly :dizzy_face:, my sincere apologies. Dos anyone know how to bring it on the standard [name_f]English[/name_f] keyboard?)

@pearls_bacon I would do [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] in honor of [name_f]Audre[/name_f] Lorde. I like the “y”. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t believe I forgot her!

Maybe…

Colette after [name_f]Sidonie[/name_f]-[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] after [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Hicks [name_u]Anderson[/name_u]
[name_f]Tove[/name_f] after [name_f]Tove[/name_f] [name_m]Jansson[/name_m]
[name_f]Lili[/name_f] or [name_f]Lily[/name_f] after [name_f]Lili[/name_f] [name_f]Elbe[/name_f]
[name_f]Christine[/name_f] after [name_f]Christine[/name_f] Jorgensen
Renée after Renée [name_m]Richards[/name_m]
[name_u]Shane[/name_u] after [name_u]Jackie[/name_u] [name_u]Shane[/name_u]

Tom after Touko Laakso/Tom of Finland
[name_u]Baldwin[/name_u] after [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Baldwin[/name_u]
[name_m]Rustin[/name_m] or [name_m]Rusty[/name_m]? after [name_m]Bayard[/name_m] [name_m]Rustin[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] after [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_u]Baker[/name_u] :rainbow_flag:
[name_u]Quentin[/name_u] after [name_u]Quentin[/name_u] Crisp
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] after [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] [name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] after E.M. [name_m]Forster[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m] after [name_m]Walt[/name_m] [name_m]Whitman[/name_m]
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u] after [name_m]Mark[/name_m] [name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_m]Keith[/name_m] after [name_m]Keith[/name_m] Haring

I’d like to add [name_m]Alan[/name_m] Mathison Turing somehow too but not keen on [name_m]Alan[/name_m], to be honest. Maybe Turing or Mathison could work?

Same with [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] Gittings and [name_m]Larry[/name_m] Kramer - would be cool to honour them, but not super excited about [name_m]Larry[/name_m] or [name_f]Barbara[/name_f].

1 Like

I just thought of [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], too, after the [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] Scare. [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Allen[/name_m] (one of my favorite historical figures: a trans man who brought the best kind of chaos to Seattle during the 1920s) would also be cool to honor but I dislike both those names.

1 Like

You might like this recent blog post we did to mark Pride Month :point_down:

Many have been mentioned already but there might be extra inspiration in there!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]

Elena [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f]

1 Like

@Luminen I’ve been thinking about [name_f]Varya[/name_f] or Babica for [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] Gittings

Oohh, I really like [name_f]Varya[/name_f]!

Maybe:
[name_f]Sally[/name_f] or [name_u]Sal[/name_u] after [name_f]Sally[/name_f] Ride
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] after [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], or [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] after [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] [name_m]Woolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], or another variation after [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Lister
[name_u]Bay[/name_u] or [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] after [name_m]Bayard[/name_m] [name_m]Rustin[/name_m]
[name_u]Del[/name_u] or [name_f]Delia[/name_f] after [name_u]Del[/name_u] [name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], or [name_f]Phyllida[/name_f] after [name_f]Phyllis[/name_f] [name_m]Lyon[/name_m]
Stormé, [name_u]Storm[/name_u], or [name_f]Stormy[/name_f] after Stormé DeLarverie
[name_u]True[/name_u] after [name_m]Truman[/name_m] Capote
[name_u]Harry[/name_u], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], or [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] after [name_u]Harry[/name_u] Hay
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], or [name_f]Rose[/name_f] after [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurie[/name_u], [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], or [name_u]Dillon[/name_u] after [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_u]Dillon[/name_u]

2 Likes

Just wanted to say that I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] such a gorgeous combination I actually adore this name :purple_heart:

Also so many fabulous namesakes suggested to you they all would install a sense of pride with their name being in association with such amazing namesakes

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] could work as a middle name for a first name that doesn’t end in -A. E.g. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f], [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] (apologies if these suggestions are not to your personal taste).

I think [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] works perfectly fine as an honour name for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Sappho[/name_f] as a middle name and I think it works with pretty much everything! E.g. [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f].

Bilitis has an interesting history but sounds a bit too strange for my personal taste.

For [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], I would suggest [name_f]Basia[/name_f] (a Polish nickname for [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] - rhymes with [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] and [name_f]Tasha[/name_f]) or the Russian form [name_f]Varvara[/name_f] (pronounced var-VAR-a).

I really like [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Marcela[/name_f] - all great names in my view!

1 Like

Genevieve [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] are so pretty! So is [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]. Bilitis is a little to close to “bilious”. I like [name_f]Varvara[/name_f] and [name_f]Varya[/name_f]. I’m leaning towards [name_f]Varya[/name_f], but [name_f]Basia[/name_f] has a great sound.

1 Like