Liam

What do you think of [name]Liam[/name]?
It’s been one of my favorite names for years, but I’m not sure if I would actually use it because:

• it feels a little too trendy now

• I don’t really like the idea of giving my son a name that would be considered a nickname. On the other hand, I seriously dislike [name]William[/name], so I won’t even take that into consideration.

• it’s an Irish nickname for [name]William[/name], and we are not Irish

I’d like to hear your opinion

What do you think of [name]Liam[/name]? – I like [name]Liam[/name]…have for quite some time as well.
It’s been one of my favorite names for years, but I’m not sure if I would actually use it because:

• it feels a little too trendy now – Last year in the US [name]Liam[/name] was ranked #75…and gaining :frowning:

• I don’t really like the idea of giving my son a name that would be considered a nickname. On the other hand, I seriously dislike [name]William[/name], so I won’t even take that into consideration. --because it was so popular, I don’t think people see it as a nn…I didn’t even know it was the nn for [name]William[/name] until I joined Nameberry

• it’s an Irish nickname for [name]William[/name], and we are not Irish – ranked number 75…I don’t think people see it as strictly Irish anymore

I still like it, and I say if your heart is into it…go for it! :slight_smile:

I absolutely love this name! My friend used it before I could…LOL. So instead we are going with [name]Noah[/name]… :smiley:

I wouldnt be worried about the nickname issue, lately it is standing out as its own name… I see it as a strong name the baby can use throughout his life!

GO FOR IT! :o)

I think [name]Liam[/name] is very handsome, but like you said it’s unfortunately become really popular. If you love a name too much to care about its popularity (that’s how I am with [name]Henry[/name], for example), then I think you should use it, but if the popularity bothers you, you may want to pick another great name. (And I don’t think you need to be Irish to use [name]Liam[/name] or any other Irish name!) :slight_smile:

You may like:

[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Colin[/name] (popular)
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Davis[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Kellan[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I read a book in middle school about an Irish farmer named [name]Liam[/name] and fell head over heels in love with the name. 15 years later I found myself married to an Irishman (whose grandfather was [name]William[/name]) and pregnant with a son. The name was a no-brainer. I didn’t even bother to look into the matter. We named him [name]William[/name] [name]Thayne[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] Dunahee, and call him [name]Liam[/name]. Funny thing is, all during my pregnancy it seemed everyone said it was an odd name that they had never heard of, as soon as he was born, it suddenly seemed that everyone knew another [name]Liam[/name]… Oh well, it’s still a lovely name that suits him perfectly. Plus, I think boys tend to like having more popular names, while girls seem to prefer more unique names. I may be wrong, but it’s just my observation. My son loves his name and is exited when he meets other Liams. It is a great name, regardless of it’s popularity, I just hope it won’t get insanely popular…

I love [name]Liam[/name]!! It seems to grow on me more and more. Despite the popularity I’m still considering it for the fact it would honor my grandpa who’s name is [name]William[/name].

We had it on our list but, we have a very irish last name and didn’t want to go “too” irish… if that makes any sense! Good luck, i still love the name!