Lila/Lyla

[name]How[/name] would you spell the name lie-la? I generally prefer traditional.spellings but I kind of think [name]Lila[/name] may be open to mispronounciations where [name]Lyla[/name] wouldn’t as much. Although I like the way lila LOOKS better. It looks like [name]Lyla[/name] is actually a more popular spelling now. I know this name is rising in popularity but I know NONE so it ia uncommon where we live. I could see lila being lill-a like [name]Lily[/name] or lee-la like lia. I think [name]Lila[/name] is pronounced [name]Lee[/name]-la in some places? Any advice or experience welcome:)

I think you’re right in theory, except that [name]Lila[/name] is such a familiar name that you’d be unlikely to have frequent problems. [name]Lyla[/name] looks like a typo’d [name]Lyra[/name], or like someone didn’t know how to spell [name]Lila[/name].

Of course, this depends on the regional dialect. I’m sure someone somewhere would pronounce [name]Kira[/name] “kye-ruh” instead of “kee-ruh,” but that’s not the person you should base these types of decisions on, know what I mean?

Since [name]Delilah[/name] is spelt with an ‘h’ on the end I’ve always spelt [name]Lilah[/name] with an ‘h’ on the end too. I feel like that would go some way to helping with pronunciation. The vast majority of people know how to say [name]Delilah[/name] and it’s never mistaken for ‘deh-lee-la’ so [name]Lilah[/name] should be safe :slight_smile:

I would spell it [name]Lila[/name]. As a teacher I am big on proper spellings as well. My husband’s grandmother’s name is [name]Lela[/name] ([name]Lee[/name]-la), so I don’t really see [name]Lila[/name] being mispronounced as [name]Lee[/name]-la. Either way the name [name]Lila[/name]/[name]Lyla[/name] is a beautiful name!

If [name]Lyla[/name] continues to grow in popularity, i don’t want her name being always pronounced wrong or have to say “[name]Lila[/name]…no, with an I” but I do mug prefer lila. I was surprised lyla was more popular!

I hadn’t thought of lilah…

I prefer [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Lilah[/name]. [name]Lyla[/name] looks too much like the masculine [name]Lyle[/name] to my eyes.

I love [name]Lila[/name]! Honestly, [name]Lyla[/name] doesn’t seem to carry all the class and sweet femininity of [name]Lila[/name]. I certainly hope [name]Lyla[/name]/[name]Lila[/name] doesn’t follow the path of [name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Aidan[/name]! [name]Aidan[/name] is the traditional spelling, yet no one seems to even recognize it because the trendy [name]Aiden[/name] has taken over. :frowning: Honestly, I’ve heard that people seem to think [name]Lila[/name] should be [name]LEE[/name]-lah or [name]LIL[/name]-ah, but [name]Lila[/name] “lie-lah” just makes more sense to me. I wouldn’t have any qualms about using [name]Lila[/name] as it is–many people are very familiar with it (and plus, it’s gorgeous!).

Good luck!

I love [name]Lila[/name]!

What a dilemma!!! I honestly like [name]Lila[/name] the best, but if [name]Lyla[/name] is going to become more common, it would be sort of easier for her name to be spelled that way. My sisters name is [name]Eva[/name],pronounced ev-a, but she always gets called eeva and its annoying to her so I dont want to do that to her Haha!