Lila or Lilac

I spent ages pursuading my partner we should name our baby girl [name]Lilac[/name] and now he loves it…only problem is I’m not 100%.
I’ve been thinking about using [name]Lila[/name] instead…My partner thinks we should call her [name]Lilac[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] could be a nickname…
I do think I might possibly regret it if I don’t go with [name]Lilac[/name]…

What would you do?
I think my main concern with [name]Lilac[/name] is other peoples reactions and how other pronounce it…I’d pronounce it LIE-lac but others pronounce it with the emphasis on the LACK which I think sounds ugly…

The middle names I’m considering for [name]Lilac[/name] are:
[name]Lilac[/name] [name]Amelie[/name] [name]Reine[/name] (pn [name]Ren[/name] - family name)
[name]Lilac[/name] [name]Ariella[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name] [name]Serafina[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

[name]Lilac[/name] seems a bit too daring to me - it’s rather startling. [name]Lila[/name] is very pretty, and much more likely to draw praise, not raise eyebrows.
Incidentally, the transcription in English of the modern Hebrew name meaning “lilac” is [name]Lilah[/name] or Lilach (depending how the last Hebrew character, which sounds like the ch in loch, is written in English by each individual). It’s pronounced lee-lah (lee-lach).So you could make a nod in [name]Lilac[/name]'s direction by spelling [name]Lila[/name] [name]Lilah[/name]!
If your heart is set on [name]Lilac[/name] but your head advises caution you could always make [name]Lilac[/name] her middle name - and perhaps one day she’ll fall in love with it and call herself by that.
Best of luck with what you decide.
I love [name]Pearl[/name] btw

I think most people know how to pronounce [name]Lilac[/name] . Go with it! It’s too easy to 2nd-guess yourself.

I think [name]Lilac[/name] is great! And if you have been fortunate enough to convince your partner that it’s a great name, all the more reason to go with it!

I pronounce [name]Lilac[/name] like you do, and am surprised to hear that people are mispronouncing it. Because [name]Lila[/name] is destined for mega popularity, I think I’d go with [name]Lilac[/name]. Like you said, [name]Lilac[/name] can be called [name]Lila[/name], but [name]Lila[/name] as a first name doesn’t afford the same flexibility of a backup nickname.

You may also like [name]Lilia[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I agree that you should name her [name]Lilac[/name] and use [name]Lila[/name] for short. It gives u way more flexibility. I love all of the middle name options.

[name]Lilac[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], [name]LILAC[/name]!!!

[name]Lilac[/name] is soo beautiful! [name]Lila[/name] I never liked.

i think lilac is a tad harsh. the ack sound at the end is the one that will stick with you the most. i like [name]Lila[/name] better. plus, [name]Lila[/name] means 'from the island" so it sounds tropical.

Honestly, to me [name]Lilac[/name] is one of those cool nameberry names that ~might~ not necessarily translate so well in real life. For me, a name has to pass the Starbucks/[name]Noah[/name]'s Bagels test, which is that you have to be able to say your name to the order taker and have him/her not do a double take or have to ask you to spell it because they have no idea what you just said. On paper, [name]Lilac[/name] is pretty. But without the assistance of a visual reference, just saying the name verbally, not so much. But I am old and very conservative! I love [name]Lila[/name], though it is becoming super popular.