Lilac

[name]Both[/name] my boyfriend and I like lilacs. Lilacs also remind me of my beloved grandmother who also likes them. Here are my questions to you, berries:

1. Does [name]Lilac[/name] seem very contemporary/new-fangled to you? I keep telling myself that it is just a flower, like [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Violet[/name], all of which I have no problem accepting as names. But, I’m somehow still getting used to [name]Lilac[/name]. So, do you see it as new, or just another legitimate botanical choice?

2. Also, I don’t think it would go with last name/sibset I have in mind (for future), but am considering for middle name? L is my favorite letter so I wish I could use it for first. Anyway, do you like [name]Lilac[/name] as a middle name, and do you have any suggestions from other languages or for double names (i.e. [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Lilac[/name])

[name]Just[/name] wondering how many out there would really use this flower!

I like the originality of [name]Lilac[/name] but its hard c at the end does not appeal ‘ack’ is to me a sound of annoyance and frustration.

Lilacs always remind me of my grandma too and her love of [name]Lilac[/name] soap. <3

Personally I think it’s better suited to a middle name.

I’m not a huge fan of [name]Lilac[/name] because I’m allergic and so I just would never name my child that. I’ve only heard this name on one person though, [name]Stephen[/name] Moyer’s daughter (he is on the show [name]True[/name] Blood).

I agree with the previous poster about “ack” being an unappealing syllable for a girl name, especially at the end. I’d like it better as a middle name. I prefer [name]Lavender[/name] over [name]Lilac[/name] though.

[name]Lilac[/name] feels retro, though it probably isn’t.

I can’t use it myself; it’s not the L, but the same ending that makes it cool. I have a KL… last name, which is about the worst possible with [name]Lilac[/name], first or middle.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lilah[/name] or [name]Lilia[/name] as variations of [name]Lilac[/name]?

I think it’d also be better as a mn. It’s pretty…and then suddenly harsh at the end. I like that it has a special association for you, but I don’t think this name is ready to be accepted seriously as a fn. However, it’d be a great mn to spice up the fn/mn combo. What about…

[name]Sophia[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]

[name]Just[/name] some thoughts. Good luck!

I do think the pp’s have a point, the ‘ack’ at the end is a bit harsh, but the flower is so lovely I think I’d be able to overcome that.

Also, just as another thought, where I’m from people don’t really say ‘lie-lack’, its a bit softer so the name sounds a bit more like ‘lie-luck’. Of course I think most people do say it with the ‘ack’ ending but depending on where you live there’s a chance that might not be the default pronunciation?

I agree, when I say [name]Lilac[/name] it sounds more like Lie-luck. I’m in the UK if that helps?

I really adore the name and have it on my own long list, but like you there’s just something that holds me back from it and I don’t know if I’d really be brave enough to use it! I definitely think it’d be a gorgeous middle name though, and for someone braver than me, a lovely first name too!

To me it has more of a quirky vintage feel than a modern made up feel.

I’m in [name]Canada[/name], and lie-luck is common. It may not be accent but just emphasis; that’s the way it is for me. I say lie-lack if I stress the word, lie-luck if I don’t.

I do think there are regional differences to how [name]Lilac[/name] is pronounced, which may or may not bother you. Where I grew up it was lie-luck or lie-lick with the emphasis more on the first syllable. Now I live in the midwest and everyone says lie-LACK with a strong emphasis on the LACK part. I really don’t like it that way at all!

Oh I am so wishing right now that I lived somewhere where [name]Lilac[/name] is pronounced Lie-luck! [name]How[/name] lovely. Maybe I’ll just start saying Lie-luck and hopefully start a trend in the Midwest. I think [name]Lilac[/name] is very usable. I do like another poster’s suggestion of [name]Lavender[/name]. It conjures similar imagery as [name]Lilac[/name] and is a lot softer sounding. Good lie-luck! groan

I too struggle on whether or not to put this in a first or middle name position! Right now I have it as a loooong double name option;
[name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]. I really adore flower names, but think it should be grounded with a traditional name! As a first name I think [name]Lilac[/name] is lovely as well, she would always get compliments and it is refreshing compared to [name]Lily[/name].

I love [name]Lilac[/name]. I like it much more than [name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lila[/name]/[name]Lillian[/name]/[name]Lilith[/name] etc and equally as much as [name]Lilou[/name]. [name]Lilias[/name] is another, more unusual option. I don’t pronounce, nor have I ever heard anyone pronounce [name]Lilac[/name] as ‘lie-LACK’ but rather the softer ‘LIE-lic’ or ‘LIE-luc’ but I guess that depends where you are as to how people say it. I think it’s wonderful for a first name! It makes me think of lilacs (obviously), the song ‘[name]Lilac[/name] Wine’ by [name]Jeff[/name] [name]Buckley[/name] and a warm yellow colour. It’s soft, pretty, feminine without being overused. I would pair it with something equally flow-y but a bit longer and more established if it’s used in fn position, eg.

[name]Lilac[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name] [name]Eugenie[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]

As opposed to something consonant-heavy and very traditional like [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Jane[/name]. But that’s just my opinion.

[name]Hope[/name] this was helpful :slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Well, here’s another one for you: I live in the Midwest (USA) and pronounce it “LIE-[name]Lock[/name]”. I love this pronunciation for a name; softer and more feminine.

wow, thanks for all the responses, everybody! didn’t realize there were so many ways to pronounce [name]Lilac[/name]. I am from east coast/now live in midwest usa and i say “LIE-lack” not as soft as many of you :frowning: but it is a gorgeous scent/flower/color/word… :slight_smile: probably best in the middle if at all

I honestly really like it in the middle name position.