Lilian

I’ve loved [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] for a long time and dreamed of the sibset [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilian[/name_f].
But lately I haven’t been that in love with it. Maybe it’s just a phase but sometimes [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] feels a bit too frilly, princessy and delicate. I want my girl names to have a strong aspect and sometimes I wonder if [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] is just too soft. On top of that Lily-names are super popular these days so I wonder if it’s the right name for us.

What do you think of [name_f]Lilian[/name_f]?

1 Like

I think [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] with the two l’s in the middle is stronger than [name_f]Lilian[/name_f]. Also, [name_f]Lil[/name_f] – a name you don’t hear any more – might be a stronger nn than [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

There’s also [name_f]Lilith[/name_f].

2 Likes

I do really like [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] -it’s sweet and pretty but the n sound gives ir strength! That said, Lily-names are very popular so if you want to avoid that, [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] might not be right

1 Like

I like [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] is very sweet

1 Like

I actually don’t find [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] frilly at all, it has a very serious, buttoned-up image to me! That said, if popularity bothers you, then [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] may not be the one. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] names are very popular, and so are similar names like [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. It might be fine if your [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] didn’t go by Lil/Lily as a nickname, but that’s hard to avoid with a three-syllable name. You could probably have a [name_f]Lilou[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] who doesn’t go by [name_f]Lily[/name_f], since they’re sorter, but with [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] it could be a challenge.

1 Like

I have a [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]! I prefer this spelling as well since [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] is such a classic name, the original spelling seems to make sense. I absolutely love the name. I never tire of hearing or saying it. [name_f]My[/name_f] style is classic and tailored, definitely not frilly. I would consider [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] buttoned-up and timeless. [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] sometimes goes by [name_f]Lil[/name_f], which I think is such a spunky nn. Also, we rarely meet other Lillians.

1 Like

i love lilian! its in my personal list, and i admit the popularity of lily has occasionally put me off, at least nickname-wise, but lilian itself is not actually popular. its an absolutely gorgeous name!
i mean, it sure gives soft and sweet vibes, but it has a lowkey bada$$ tone to it as well!

ingrid and lilian are very nice together! they definitely feel like the same “type” of name to me. if you’ve long set your heart on it, i say listen to it and go for it!
unless you see your baby girl and her face says nope to it, then don’t :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

@Silvering @miloowen @awmwl @emmievis @Aren @Greyblue

Thank you for all the replies and Lilian-love!

I come from continental Europe where [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] is the “original” and more popular spelling. Because of our multicultural family the spelling would be [name_f]Lilian[/name_f].

I would like for her to be called [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] most of the time but wouldn’t mind the occasional [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lil[/name_f] etc.

I feel very conflicted about the popularity aspect because at the same time I don’t want to let it stop me from using the names I love but I also don’t want my children to be lost in the crowd. I like so many unusual names and have always thought I’d be a bit less mainstream but as it happens some of my top faves have become very popular (Oscar, Freya…).
It’s a perennial question for me.

I do think [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] make a pretty good sibset. Both have a similar “old” european feeling to me. I don’t think of [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] as a soft name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is soft, [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] too. But [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] feels strong enough.

1 Like

I really love Lily names including Lilian!

Lilian to me feels strong and elegant to me Lilian (prefer Lillian spelling wise) doesn’t feel frilly or princessy at all. I think she’s graceful and understated also I think in Britain Lily names aren’t popular Lily herself is but the variants definitely aren’t.

I think Lilith is a good suggestion and could be more appealing for you.

I was going to suggest my daughters name Lilia but I think even though the name has a European flair shes a bit frilly

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] ! I agree that [name_f]Lily[/name_f] names are super popular but I still love [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] together .

Would you consider an alternative like
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilis[/name_f]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] & [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] are lovely together; [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] has always felt rather strong to me, definitely not frilly nor particularly “girly”. I also think this spelling, with its simplicity, feels even more sensible and mature than [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] (which also possesses these qualities).

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] (I prefer this spelling!). Honestly just voicing the previous responses but I don’t view [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] as frilly, I think she’s actually one of the stronger [name_f]Lily[/name_f] variations

1 Like

@UnderTheRainbow @tori101 @Ehrob1 @OpheliaFlora @rhodes2nowhere

Thank you all!

I’ve probably just had this over-analytical period in my life because I didn’t use to think [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] was frilly either.

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is super cool but too religious for me even though the character is fascinating.
Out of other lily names my favourite is [name_f]Lilium[/name_f]. It’s very rare but I love that it’s the real Latin name for the lily flower.

2 Likes

i much much much prefer lilian to lillian, so i’m really happy to see the one l spelling! it feels elegant, but not necessarily frilly to me, and i really like it.

1 Like

I prefer it with two L’s, and i think its a really nice name, i wish it wasn’t so common!

2 Likes