Lily or Lilly?

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilly[/name_f]? Which spelling do you prefer as a nickname for [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]?

I prefer [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] “[name_f]Lily[/name_f]”. I think people would be prone to use [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] with [name_f]Lillian[/name_f].

Personally i wouldn’t use either spelling as a nickname, I’d use [name_f]Lillie[/name_f]. But of your options, [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] seems more like a nickname imo.

Thank you everyone for your opinions so far :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] feels more like a complete name, whereas [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] feels like a nickname and seems more intuitive since [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] has a double L.
(For the record, I adore [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]!)

With [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], I’d use [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] or even [name_f]Lillie[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Lillie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

I’d go for [name_f]Lily[/name_f], even as a nickname. If I heard it, that’s how I’d spell it. Though, in all honesty, I prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f] by itself to [name_f]Lillian[/name_f].

I can agree with this. But I do feel like most people are likely to spell it ‘[name_f]Lily[/name_f]’ regardless because that is the most common spelling.

Thank you all for the lovely feedback. My hubby and I have been debating which spelling we prefer.

I agree with @emmamay. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is how I intuitively spell this. I know a girl named [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], nn [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], and I have misspelled her name as [name_f]Lily[/name_f] multiple times! That said, I acknowledge that [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] makes sense as being a nn for [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]. Good luck!

I love basically every version of [name_f]Lily[/name_f], I would likely spell it with one L.

Hard one - I love [name_f]Lily[/name_f] on its own, and would definitely spell it that way. However short for [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] I would be inclined to use [name_f]Lillie[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] spelt this way, and then it’s easy: [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Lilly[/name_f].

Agree with all of this! FWIW, though, the only [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]-with-a-nickname I know spells it [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. But I always assumed her full name was [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

Definitely [name_f]Lily[/name_f], like the actual flower and word! Most of the time when it comes to word names, for me the meaning is dulled when the name/word is “misspelled”. Though since it’s just a nickname I guess that doesn’t matter as much. My vote’s still for [name_f]Lily[/name_f] though!