Lily vs Madison

I like [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lily[/name_f] as a sister to [name_u]James[/name_u].

1 Like

I strongly prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] to [name_u]Madison[/name_u].

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] doesn’t feel like a mature name to me, even as I know women my age named [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. It feels childish to me, which is not something I say of many names, including names that other people often consider cutesy or childish.

I like the sound of [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] over [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u], and think that [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] reads as a name that ages well/ is mature. Since they have the same meaning a [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] called [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is very intuitive, and also leaves her with more options for how she wants to self identify as she gets older. Choosing [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] over [name_f]Lily[/name_f] can help avoid [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] references as well if that was something you were concerned about.

So ranked favorite to least favorite
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lily[/name_f] would be the best option. [name_u]Madison[/name_u] doesn’t really feel similar to [name_u]James[/name_u] style wise (although you can put just about anything with [name_u]James[/name_u] and it’ll work), but just [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is too [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m].

1 Like

Much prefer the timeless and elegant [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. As mentioned, [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is a bit dated. However, [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]/Madelyn is a timeless option and sounds wonderful with [name_u]James[/name_u].
I’ve never seen HP so I am not familiar with the [name_u]James[/name_u] & [name_f]Lily[/name_f] association. However, I feel that [name_u]James[/name_u] & [name_f]Lily[/name_f] would be a very common or “expected” sibling set as they compliment one another so well. Therefore, I don’t think everyone is going to immediately think [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m].
I’m biased, as I have a daughter named [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], but I’d suggest [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] as her given name. That is, unless you just don’t care for [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and much prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is incredibly beautiful & elegant!

I definitely think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] goes best with [name_u]James[/name_u]. Both beautiful classic choices. I’ve never been much of a fan of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], so that association never would’ve crossed my mind had it not been for the other comments. Like Quirkflower said, I also am from the Midwest, and I have heard of a lot of [name_f]Lily[/name_f]/Lilian/Lilyanas around here. But popularity should not influence your choice if it’s a name you absolutely love.

I prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f]!

I actually grew up with a friend [name_f]Lily[/name_f] who had a little brother named [name_u]James[/name_u]. Of course, they were born before the movies came out (I’m a ‘97 baby, they are ‘99 & ‘01 or something) but we grew up during the height of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and people rarely mentioned this connection. I think you’re safe also because these are both timeless classics!

I much prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

I also like [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] with nn [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. You can go either way with this. If she was only ever to be known as [name_f]Lily[/name_f] though I would tend to stick with that. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is lovely.