Lily vs Madison

Hello, my husband and I live in the midwest and have a son named [name_u]James[/name_u]. We are having a daughter and have settled on two names. Neither are family names and neither are common where we are from. I need help choosing because we like both for different reasons and can’t decide! Please help me choose which goes best with our family names and also which names you think age well and go best with our son’s name [name_u]James[/name_u].

Madison Cosgrove

• Middle name options: [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
  • We may call her [name_f]Maddie[/name_f], but aren’t sure yet. We like the sound of [name_u]Madison[/name_u] Cosgrove and feel its more mature.

Lily Cosgrove

• Middle name would be [name_u]Marie[/name_u] as we like that best with [name_f]Lily[/name_f]
  • Should we do [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and call her [name_f]Lily[/name_f] as the nickname, or just keep it [name_f]Lily[/name_f]?
2 Likes

Lily!!

Madison as I feel [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] will have a [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connotations that’s inescapable :sweat_smile: however if your a potterhead maybe it’ll be appealing? [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] sure seems to think those are great sibling sets !

Haha yes we are definitely aware of that! [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Madison[/name_u] was also a president’s name, so either are funny combos. These are also the only two kids we’ll be having. We just love both of these names!

First, let me just say I love your son’s name. James is stunning!

I personally prefer Lily, but both are lovely. If you go with Madison, she’ll 100% be called Maddie all through school. I assume you’d be okay with that? You kind of have a funny association with either name you go for!

Lily Marie is lovely. Lilian is nice, but Lily works fine as a full name on its own. Although, now that I think about it, Lilian may help avoid the HP association.

this thread also has some full names for Lily- not sure if you’ll like any but worth a look!

Hmm… I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] are a stylistic match, as understated classics. I do, however, immediately think of Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. I like [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] as well, but in all honestly prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f], especially if that’s what you plan on calling her anyway.

Madison feels like less of a stylistic match (it seems more typical of the '90s and 2000s as opposed to having steady usage), and there’s always [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Madison[/name_u] to consider! However, I think the association with the president isn’t as strong as the Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection.

I think even with the strong Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection, I prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u]; what a beautiful set of names!

1 Like

In a shocking turn of events, I’m going to say [name_f]Lily[/name_f].
You could do [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] as a full name as well.
I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] goes better with [name_u]James[/name_u] (didn’t think about the HP connection until I read previous comments). I honestly think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] (or [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]/Lilia/Lilith) is very mature while still being young and light.
I will add that - if you’re at all curious - I have never been “[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]” so I don’t think it’s inevitable if you don’t want it to be.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Lily[/name_f], but I prefer [name_u]Madison[/name_u] for you. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] are a little too classic for my tastes.

[name_f]Lily[/name_f], for two reasons: 1) [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is timeless, whereas [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is so overused and heading out of style, and 2) [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is simply a better match for [name_u]James[/name_u].

However, [name_f]Lily[/name_f] & [name_u]James[/name_u] are a little too HP together. Not a huge problem, but I do love the idea of using [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] with nn [name_f]Lily[/name_f] instead. [name_u]James[/name_u] & [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] are perfect sibling names!

I prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f], both on its own and as a match for [name_u]James[/name_u].

I will mention, I also live in the Midwest, and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_u]Madison[/name_u] are both very common around here. Nationally, [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is #34 and [name_u]Madison[/name_u] is #26. I don’t think popularity is a big deal, but something to think about!

I prefer the sweet, light [name_f]Lily[/name_f]

In terms of sound I think I like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] & [name_u]James[/name_u] better, but definitely agree about the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection being strong.

Madison and [name_u]James[/name_u] sound just fine together. Still, while the [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Madison[/name_u] connection might not be first in most people’s minds, it’s still something to think about!

I like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] best!

f it were me I would stick with [name_f]Lily[/name_f] if that’s what you want to call her. I personally have a very common nickname and a longer form for my “real name” and have 100% always been called by my nickname and I find it annoying. I feel like my nickname IS my real name and I don’t like how my actual real name doesn’t match it. I only get called by my “real name” by people who don’t know me at all and are reading my name off a sheet of paper.

Madison [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] would be lovely! :slight_smile:

Lily [name_f]Rose[/name_f] Cosgrove is my favorite.

Out of what you laid out my two favorites are:
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] Cosgrove
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] Cosgrove

I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] stands on its own as a name. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Lily[/name_f], not [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]. And as an adult I don’t think I need the “[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]”. I think flower names have a certain classic element to them that they can stand on their own without appearing trendy or stylish. Same with [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f], even with the HP association!

Lily for sure. I don’t like [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] is sweet!

Hi there.

I definitely prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. I love just [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] sounds gorgeous. Classic, mature, smart & kind. It seems like the perfect solution if you’re worried about [name_f]Lily[/name_f] seeming too childish.

Madison is just not my cup of tea. Plus, it might be weird to have both of your kids’ names be a former president. I think w/the classic [name_u]James[/name_u], something more classic & less trendy-ish fits better.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_u]Madison[/name_u], as a whole name. I don’t like [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] as a nickname, though.

I like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] as siblings