"line" names

I have been seeing a lot of “line” names lately, and have come to realize, due to the lovely English language, I may not be pronouncing them all correctly.

[name]Adeline[/name] - line or leen?
[name]Madeline[/name] - line, lynn or leen? (I have heard it line and lynn)
[name]Emmeline[/name] - line?
Roseline - line, lynn or leen?
[name]Eveline[/name] - line, leen or lynn? (I say leen)

What other “line” names am I missing and which way do you pronounce them? Thanks.

[name]Adeline[/name] - I would say line. However, I’ve also seen it spelled [name]Adelyn[/name], which obviously is pronounced lynn.
[name]Madeline[/name] - This is most often lynn, but I have met girls where it is line.
[name]Emmeline[/name] - I would say leen
Roseline - lynn or leen
[name]Eveline[/name] - leen. This makes me think of [name]Evangeline[/name], which is leen

There is also [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Magdalene[/name]

I have that same problem, and I don’t want to help you since English isn’t even my first language!
I have some more to add though, not all -line, but I often find the -tine ones to be the hardest:
[name]Cymbeline[/name]
[name]Augustine[/name]
[name]Constantine[/name]
[name]Valentine[/name]
[name]Florentine[/name]
[name]Leoline[/name]
[name]Leontine[/name]
Pomeline
[name]Severine[/name]
(Wendelin)

Also, for the unisex ones ([name]Valentine[/name], [name]Constantine[/name] and [name]Augustine[/name]), does the pronunciation change with the sex?

I forgot [name]Caroline[/name]! I say line
[name]Eveline[/name] - I say leen, but for [name]Evangeline[/name] - I say line.

[name]Hi[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Adeline[/name] - line or leen?: I pronounce it with a “line” ending.

[name]Madeline[/name] - line, lynn or leen? (I have heard it line and lynn): I pronounce it with a “lynn” sound, although I know a little “line,” like the book.

[name]Emmeline[/name] - line?: I pronounce it with a “line” sound.

Roseline - line, lynn or leen? I pronounce it with a “line” sound, but I like the “leen” sound, too.

[name]Eveline[/name] - line, leen or lynn? (I say leen): I say “leen,” and pronounce [name]Evelyn[/name] as “lynn.”

Some more:

[name]Caroline[/name]: I use a “line” pronunciation, which is the only way I’ve ever heard it in the U.S., aside from [name]Charles[/name] Ingalls calling [name]Caroline[/name] Ingalls “[name]Carolyn[/name]” (despite the fact that everyone else, including her parents, called her care-oh-line.)

[name]Apolline[/name]: I use a “leen” sound…

[name]Evangeline[/name]: I say it with a “leen” sound, which is the way it’s pronounced in [name]Nanny[/name] [name]McPhee[/name].

[name]Jacqueline[/name]: I say it with a “lynn” sound, unless the person pronounces it the French way, and then I use the “leen” pronunciation.

Great topic! :slight_smile:

Have a good night!

Katerade - I really am liking the “line” names lately. Here is my take on them:

[name]Adeline[/name] - I thought this was going to be easier, but this one has already stumped me. I think I say [name]AdeLINE[/name]. Yes, [name]LINE[/name]. But I can see, how you could pronounce it [name]LYNN[/name]. No, I say [name]LINE[/name].

[name]Madeline[/name] - I go with [name]LINE[/name]. [name]MadeLINE[/name]. But its a tough one, because, it could be be [name]MadeLYNN[/name]. But, I think people who want it to be [name]MadeLYNN[/name] go ahead and spell it [name]Madelyn[/name].

[name]Emmeline[/name] - This one is easy. [name]EmmeLINE[/name]

Roseline - All of the above. I say RosaLYNN, because thats what I want it to sound like, but I like it spelt like Roseline. But, I think I missed this one completely.

[name]Eveline[/name] - [name]EvaLEEN[/name]. This is only because g.g.Grandma was [name]Evelina[/name] and they pronounced it EvaLEENa.

[name]Caroline[/name]: [name]CaroLINE[/name]. But, I know some Spanish girls who say [name]CaroLEEN[/name]. I usually go with [name]LINE[/name] though.

[name]Apolline[/name]: I am not sure. Where is the accent on this one?

[name]Evangeline[/name]: I’m with you, I say [name]LINE[/name], but only because of that song.

[name]Jacqueline[/name]: [name]LYNN[/name]. But after watching [name]Ever[/name] After, I like it better LEEN

Thank you for thoroughly confusing me. LOL. JK. PS. I love [name]Dottie[/name]. :slight_smile:

Dearest, as far as I am aware, the pronunciation does not change with gender.

An English perspective (we are a little strange with our pronunciation sometimes over here, though - [name]Eleanor[/name], for example, is ell-en-uh) :
[name]Adeline[/name] - lin (lynn)
[name]Madeline[/name] - line, like the little girl in the books, but [name]Madeleine[/name] is -lynn, or -lenn if you are being very French about it
[name]Emmeline[/name] - leen
Roseline - line
[name]Eveline[/name] - leen
[name]Cymbeline[/name] - leen
[name]Augustine[/name] - teen
[name]Constantine[/name] - tine (t-eye-n)
[name]Valentine[/name] - tine
[name]Florentine[/name] - teen
[name]Leoline[/name] - line
[name]Leontine[/name] - tine
Pomeline - leen
[name]Severine[/name] - reen
Wendelin - lin.

[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Emaline[/name]
[name]Evaline[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]

We have a [name]Madeleine[/name] and spelled it that way to avoid the confusion. Of course, we live in a French/English place so everyone understands the name as [name]Madel[/name]“lenn” or [name]Madel[/name]“lyn”.

I appreciate the English perspective! I prefer British over American usually, so it’s very appreciated! :slight_smile:
I would have thought more of them were -een in the end, so see how easy it is!

And I love the name [name]Valentine[/name] for a girl, but I only want the -tine ending, but from what I could tell the feminine version has the -een ending. Now you’ve told me otherwise I am a little more relaxed about it, so thanks! :slight_smile:

My first instinct is to pronounce them leen, which I think is influenced by the little French that I’ve learned. The more common ‘line’ names, like [name]Caroline[/name], I pronounce the ‘normal’ way.

[name]Adeline[/name]: leen
[name]Madeline[/name]: lynn
[name]Emmeline[/name]: leen
Roseline: leen
[name]Eveline[/name]: leen

We don’t say Care it is a short ‘a’ as in carrot. I say Car o lyn although the ‘line’ ending is variable between ‘lyn and line’.

[name]Adeline[/name] - line

[name]Madeline[/name] - line

[name]Emmeline[/name] - line

Roseline - line

[name]Eveline[/name] - Leen

[name]Caroline[/name]: line

[name]Apolline[/name]: line

[name]Evangeline[/name]: line

[name]Jacqueline[/name]: lynn

[name]Adeline[/name] - leen…but I’m not really sure on this one.
[name]Madeline[/name] - lynn. I think “line” was invented for that book [name]Madeline[/name].
[name]Emmeline[/name] - leen definitely–line sounds like [name]Emma[/name] [name]Line[/name].
Roseline - leen
[name]Eveline[/name] - leen

this is exactly why i decided not to use the name [name]Madeline[/name], theres too many pronunciation issues…still a pretty name though

My mother’s name is [name]Madeline[/name]. Until very recently I thought that she pronounced it ‘[name]MADA[/name]-lynn’ as this is what I always heard her my dad, her friends, and colleagues call her. Turns out it was originally pronounced ‘Mad-a-LEEN’ by her family but she got tired of correcting people when she moved from her home in Northern [name]Ontario[/name] where apparently this was the common pronunciation, to Souther [name]Ontario[/name] where the ‘lynn’ pronunciation was more common.

I felt really silly when she told us! When I thought about it I suppose I had always noticed that her family called her ‘Mad-a-LEEN’ but I guess I just assumed they were mispronouncing it. Doh.

[name]Adeline[/name] - I say Leen, partly because when it has an “a” on the end, it’s A-deh-lee-nuh, so it seemed natural to be A-deh-leen.
[name]Madeline[/name] - I hear it often as [name]Lynn[/name], but [name]Line[/name] sounds so much prettier to me.
[name]Emmeline[/name] - [name]Line[/name], definitely. [name]Lynn[/name] just brings back all the dated [name]Lynn[/name] names.
Roseline - Leen, but [name]Line[/name] might be acceptable.
[name]Eveline[/name] - I immediately thought [name]Lynn[/name], like [name]Evelyn[/name]. Otherwise, Leen.