Lithuanian names

Like some other berries, I love names from other languages! I’ve discovered a great website with Lithuanian names: https://vardai.vlkk.lt/. It’s an amazing database and blog to explore on your own if you’re interested. I’ll share some highlights here: a few Lithuanian names I love and some translated comments from the website. As an introduction, I also copied a short summery about Lithuanian names from Wikipedia.

Background information from Wikipedia

"A child in Lithuania is usually given one or two given names. Nowadays the second given name is rarely used in everyday situations. As well as modern names, parents can choose a name or names for their child from a long list of traditional names; these include:

Lithuanian names of pre-Christian origin.
These are the most ancient layer of Lithuanian personal names; a majority of them are dual-stemmed personal names, of Indo-European origin. These ancient Lithuanian names are constructed from two interconnected stems, the combination of which has been used to denote certain beneficial personal qualities, for example Jo-gaila means “a strong rider”. Although virtually extinct following the Christianization of Lithuania, they continued to exist as surnames, such as Goštautas, Kęsgaila, Radvila or in their Slavicised versions, as well as in toponyms. The existing surnames and written sources have allowed linguists such as Kazimieras Būga to reconstruct these names. In the period between World War I and World War II these names returned to popular use after a long period of neglect. Children are often named in honor of the most revered historical Lithuanian rulers; these are some of the most popular names. They include [name_m]Vytautas[/name_m], [name_m]Gediminas[/name_m], [name_m]Algirdas[/name_m], and Žygimantas. In line with the double-stemmed names, shorter variants containing only one stem were also used, such as Vytenis and Kęstutis. Since there are few pre-Christian female names attested in written sources, they are often reconstructed from male variants, in addition to the historical Birutė, [name_f]Aldona[/name_f], Rimgailė etc.

[name_m]Christian[/name_m] names, i.e. Biblical names or saint’s names.
The use of [name_m]Christian[/name_m] names in the Lithuanian language long predates the adoption of Christianity by Lithuanians. The linguistic data attest that first Biblical names started to be used in Aukštaitija as early as the 11th century. The earliest stratum of such names originates from Old [name_m]Church[/name_m] Slavonic; they were borrowed by Eastern Orthodoxy in their Byzantine versions. Examples of such names are Antanas (St. Anthony), Povilas or Paulius (St. Paul), [name_m]Andrius[/name_m] (St. Andrew) and [name_m]Jurgis[/name_m] (St. George), while female names include [name_f]Kotryna[/name_f] (St. Catherine) and [name_f]Marija[/name_f] (St. Mary). The later influx of [name_m]Christian[/name_m] names came after the adoption of Christianity in 1387. They are mostly borrowed in their Polish versions: [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] (St. John), Vladislovas/Vladas (St. Ladislaus), Kazimieras/Kazys (St. Casimir), [name_f]Ona[/name_f] (St. Anne), etc.

Lithuanian common nouns or hydronyms used as names.
There are popular names constructed from the words for celestial bodies (Saulė for the [name_m]Sun[/name_m], [name_f]Aušrinė[/name_f] for Venus), events of nature (Audra for storm, Aušra for dawn, Rasa for dew, Vėjas for wind, Aidas for echo), plants (Linas/Lina for flax, Eglė for spruce), and river names (Ūla, Vilija for [name_m]River[/name_m] Neris).

Invented names from literature.
Some names were created by the authors of literary works and spread in public use through them. Such names followed the rules of the Lithuanian language; therefore it is sometimes difficult to tell whether the name is fictitious and had never existed before. Notably, Gražina, Živilė by [name_m]Adam[/name_m] Mickiewicz, Daiva by Vydūnas, Šarūnas by Vincas Krėvė and others.

Names of Lithuanian pagan deities and mythological figures.
There are some popular names of gods and goddesses from Lithuanian mythology that are used as personal names, such as [name_f]Laima[/name_f], goddess of luck, Žemyna, goddess of earth, [name_f]Gabija[/name_f], goddess of fire; Žilvinas, a serpent prince from the fairy tale Eglė the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of Serpents, Jūratė, goddess of the sea, and Kastytis, from the legend about Jūratė and Kastytis."

From Wikipedia: Lithuanian name - Wikipedia

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite Lithuanian names

Feminine:
Astèrija - star
Austė́ja - a bee godess
Kalisfènija - good strength
Kosmė́ja - cosmea
[name_f]Luknė[/name_f] - the [name_f]Luknė[/name_f] river
[name_f]Smiltė[/name_f] - sandwort
Soterà - savior
Svajà - dream
Volungė̃ - oriole
Žavintà - fascinating

Masculine:
Artemònas - from [name_f]Artemis[/name_f]
Arū́nas - eagle
Ą́žuolas - a name from a fairy tale
Drãvis - strong as a tree
Eĩrimas - walking calmly
Kóvas - crow
Kvirìnas - form of [name_m]Quirinus[/name_m]
Mãžrimas - small and calm
Vė́jas - wind
Žil̃vinas - young tree

Interesting comments from the website

Etmonas: “I read (maybe 10 times) [name_f]Ieva[/name_f] Simonaitytė’s book “Aukštujui Simoni likimas”. There I found very beautiful names: Etmonas, Endrius, [name_m]Matas[/name_m] . I really liked the name Etmonas . That’s why I named my son this name.”

[name_f]Akane[/name_f]: “My father is Japanese and my mother is Lithuanian, my father wanted to give the girl a traditional Japanese name ,茜'’ which means “red” (my parents’ favorite color), after Lithuanianization the name became [name_f]Akane[/name_f]. Rare in Lithuania, but a beautiful name.”

[name_f]Aira[/name_f]: “I was born in 1993. in a small town. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents’ opinions about the name differed, my mother wanted a short and unique name - [name_f]Aira[/name_f] , while my father would have preferred to name me [name_f]Kristina[/name_f] . [name_f]My[/name_f] mother won and I became [name_f]Aira[/name_f] , and the second name, which is almost unnecessary, remained [name_f]Kristina[/name_f]. In a small town, a rare name led to a rather difficult childhood, I received a lot of bullying, nicknames, etc., but from the perspective of a grown-up person, I understand that such a unique name shaped me as a person. Instead of being the nth Rasa, [name_f]Greta[/name_f] or Indrė in class or school , I was the one and only [name_f]Aira[/name_f] . So far, and I am currently 28 years old, I have only met one namesake, she was my beautician. I wouldn’t trade my rare, beautiful name for anything.”

Gantas Novilas: “Two Baltic names. We chose by meaning, but couldn’t decide. A bunch of friends didn’t help either, because opinions differed. I had to put both names :smile:. During registration, they tried to convince us that we should choose a “popular” name :grin:. The Baltic origin of the name was important, so that it would not be related to any religion, and it was rare enough with only six namesakes.”

Taurima: “My father came up with my name, his name was Rim, and the idea was that I was like a gift to him - “[name_m]Tau[/name_m], Rimai”, “To you, Rim.” As a child, I wanted a traditional name, but when I grew up, I it made me happy that at least for now I am the only one, even though there may be a namesake abroad, because while participating in an international plein air, one Polish artist said that the name is very beautiful to her and she will name her daughter that.”

Laimonas: “My mother told me that as a teenager, she participated in a creative evening hosted by the actor Laimonas Noreika. She was very impressed by this artist. When her son was born, she chose the name from the letter L because she wanted it to start with the same letter as her daughters. Out of the options [name_m]Linas[/name_m] , Lutauras and Laimonas , the last one appeared the sweetest - the person who made an impression a decade ago.”

Gelmis: “17 years ago, when I was expecting, I thought for a long time about what would be the most suitable name for our child. It had to be a short, meaningful, phonetically gentle, Lithuanian (Baltic, pagan) and original name. I chose the natural elements as meaningful sources for the creation of the name - sky, earth and water: like many mothers, I wanted the name to reflect and somehow lead the way of the future person. Among the names I created, there were the funniest variants - Ežeras (which should sound quite normal when stressing the second syllable -že-), Erdvis (from space), Žemis (from Earth). In short, there was a sea of ​​consonances in my head. I didn’t know yet whether it would be a boy or a girl. I wanted to give the girl the name Gelmė, and the boy… Gelmis - deep, mysterious, calm, unfathomable like the oceans. I sincerely believed that I created that name myself, by the way, this is the first Gelmis registered in Lithuania. However, coincidentally, the doctor who came in during the delivery was called Gelmiu by a colleague. I couldn’t believe it, it was a real blow :slightly_smiling_face: However, we soon found out that his name was Gelmantas. So this is the story of this name. Many people were really surprised by this name and it was not heard that someone did not like this name. I am happy with my Gelmis even now - my son’s name really reflects his nature.”

Beržuna: “Dad’s big dream - a daughter - came into our lives very unexpectedly and unplanned. But we knew the name Beržuna for a very long time and we always joked that if we ever had a daughter, we would definitely name her Beržuna . This is the name of the Lithuanian river, which begins in Belarus. (Beržuna’s brother’s names are Margiris and Joringis.)”

[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]: “There were two Evelinas in my class. In order to differentiate, we called one by her full name [name_f]Evelina[/name_f] , and the other by the short name [name_f]Elna[/name_f] , invented by [name_f]Evelina[/name_f] herself.”

Teodoras Stanislovas: "It seemed that Teodoras would suit my son … [name_f]My[/name_f] attention was drawn to this name when I wrote about the sculpture “Vėtrungė” by artist Teodoros Valaitis , located in Vilnius, in the Lazdynai district. Only after some time, when the child was born, we noticed that his name day coincides with the birth of our son…
This name is valued differently in the environment. To many, it seems rare and majestic, some have never even heard of such a name… As long as our son is small (2.5 years old), we do not shorten the name, that is, we do not promise to shorten it, unless the son’s friends do it… Then maybe we will think about shortening it to [name_m]Teddy[/name_m] .
We gave the second name Stanislovas at the time of baptism, because many of the son’s great-grandfathers (on his mother’s side) were Stanislovas, who were very caring. The day of baptism is also Stanislovas’s name day… "

[name_f]Ugnė[/name_f] (meaning fire): A couple of friends had decided that the name of the first child would somehow be related to their own names: girl - to the mother’s , boy - to the father’s. Their daughter was named Ugne, because her mother’s name is [name_f]Gabija[/name_f] , the goddess of fire.

Aristida: “Grandma’s friend had read some book in which there was a character named Aristidas. She liked the name very much, so when her daughter was born, she changed the ending from male to female and named her daughter Aristida.”

Paulius: “A friend had a doll called Pauliuk . When her brother was born, the parents and grandparents were considering various names, and she kept saying: “Pauliukas, Pauliukas!” The parents thought that Paulius was a very beautiful name, so they named their son.”

Adrija: “Friends traveled to the Adriatic [name_f]Sea[/name_f] for their honeymoon. She decided to name her daughter Adrija , who was born a year later - she liked the name and it reminds her of the first trip together.”

Martynas: “Grandmother told that in her childhood (around the time of the Second World War) she and one of her friends were jealous of her father’s innovative name - Stasys . And the names of the two fathers were so ancient - the grandmother’s father was Martynas , and her friend’s was [name_m]Andrius[/name_m] . Now everything has turned around - Stasys looks ancient :slightly_smiling_face:

Mykolas: “An acquaintance born in a mixed family of a Russian officer and a Lithuanian woman was named [name_m]Mikhail[/name_m] . After Lithuania regained its independence, he changed his name to Lithuanian - it became Mykolas . His father did not like this step, he continued to call his son [name_m]Mikhail[/name_m] or Misha.”

[name_f]Lolita[/name_f]: “This is the name my uncle should have been given in 1959. When my grandmother was expecting, the Argentine singer [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] Torres was popular in the USSR. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandparents planned to name their daughter after her, but a son was born. After 21 years, I, the first granddaughter, was born. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather suggested [name_f]Lolita[/name_f], so that became my name. And some 12 years later, we found out that Lolita’s name day is celebrated on my birthday, [name_f]October[/name_f] 23.”

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! What a cool set - Austė́jam Lukne, Soterà, Kóvas and Žil̃vinas are my favourites!

I enjoyed some of those comments too :slight_smile: [name_f]Elna[/name_f] is a cute nickname!

Summary

I knew twins for Lithuania, called Emà and Ùrtė!

1 Like

I love Lukné, Svajà, Žavintà, Kóvas, and Grace’s comment of sisters Emà and Ùrtė! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That website is my favourite thing!! It’s where I’ve been getting most of my information on Lithuanian names from, it’s just wonderful :yellow_heart: I must have missed [name_m]Kovas[/name_m] from when I was going through it myself, but I really love it !!

(Also as a little note, the website adds accents so you know where the emphasis is on each syllable, but they’re not actually a part of the name! So “Artemònas” is actually spelled Artemonas, the ò is there to show you it’s pronounced ahr-teh-MO-nas, and not ahr-TEH-mo-nas, AHR-teh-mo-nas, etc.!)

3 Likes

[name_f]Love[/name_f] Astèrija, Austė́ja, Kalisfènija, Kosmė́ja, Svajà, Arū́nas, Eĩrimas and Žil̃vinas! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like