Little brother to James! What are your opinions on August??

Hello! I’m hoping you lovely people can give me some insight where I am really struggling.

We are having a boy, due in Dec. Our last name work well with most names except those ending in -son because it also ends in -son.

Our first boy is [name_u]James[/name_u], named after his grandfather. In reality, I just loved the name because it is classic while still sounding fresh and I love how strong it is. I don’t think if his father’s name was [name_m]Keith[/name_m], we would have used it :slight_smile: He has two middle names that are unique and with lots of meaning to us. We liked doing that last time and will probably do the same thing for this kid.

So anyways, for the second boy, nothing is exciting us the way [name_u]James[/name_u] was the first time around. Names that are on list but none that I am head-over-heels for are:

[name_u]August[/name_u] (nn [name_m]Augie[/name_m], definitly not [name_u]Gus[/name_u]) - is it strong? old fashioned? boring? creative? - it’s like I’ve thought about it too much and now I have no opinion at all!
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] -is it too plain? our cat’s name is [name_f]Olive[/name_f]…is that a deal breaker?
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] (not so sure about using a nickname as a first name and [name_m]John[/name_m]/[name_m]Johnathan[/name_m] means nothing to me) - used by a variety of friends/family lately.

Names I like but my husband doesn’t like as a first name:
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m]
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Grey[/name_u]
Oakland (nn [name_m]Oakes[/name_m])
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Ford[/name_m]
[name_m]Truman[/name_m]
[name_m]Merrit[/name_m]

Names he likes but I can’t decide:
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u] - or sell me on this! I’m an open book.

I’ve seen [name_u]August[/name_u] used a lot lately by people who I respect and think have good taste but I just don’t have a strong opinion on it either way. I want to like it! Please sell me on it if you want :slight_smile:

So besides just a general opinion on our options, I would like your opinion specially on [name_u]August[/name_u]. What does this name say to you?

Help help! We are so lost and feel like we’ve seen every possible name under the sun without getting excited.

Thanks!

We have similar tastes in names it seems. I am also having a boy in [name_u]December[/name_u] and planning on naming him [name_u]James[/name_u].

I love [name_u]August[/name_u]. I love [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]. And I was in love with [name_m]Felix[/name_m] for a while but people kept joking about cats with that one.

I think [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]James[/name_u] sounds great together.

I love [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]James[/name_u] together. I think they both have the same strong yet soft sound. The nn [name_m]Augie[/name_m] is cute! I know what you mean about thinking about a name too hard and you forget why you liked it in the first place! [name_u]August[/name_u] to me sounds like a sensitive, serious man. I think the first time I heard it was in The Village and [name_m]Brendan[/name_m] Gleeson plays [name_u]August[/name_u]–a “19th century” man, who is quiet, mournful and wise. On the other hand, there’s [name_u]August[/name_u] Maturo who plays Auggie in Girl Meets World–it works well on an adorable, funny, little boy who lives in modern NYC! It’s one of my favorites personally. I like that it has silly nicknames but can sound grown up and literally mean ‘respected.’

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] are both so cute and will work on all ages. They’re definitely becoming more popular now but I think their plainness is what makes them charming and simple. I don’t know that I would use [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] if I had a cat named [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. My cat’s name is [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and I’m even hesitant to use [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] because of the similar endings!

I like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Truman[/name_m] from the rest of your list. Not sure I like [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. Would you or he like [name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]?

Others:
Henry
Milo
Miles
Hugo
Hugh
Oscar
Theo
Leo
Finn
Flynn
Eli
Luke
Elliott
Thomas

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u] with nn [name_m]Augie[/name_m]. Know a dad and son wit that name, and it is great. I also agree with [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]. I like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] with the nn [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]

I love [name_u]August[/name_u]! It is great with [name_u]James[/name_u]. I feel like [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is a little similar to [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is too close to [name_f]Olive[/name_f], and I don’t really like any of the other options. I’m not into surnames as first names.

[name_u]August[/name_u] is such a strong name and so handsome! It fits perfectly with [name_u]James[/name_u] and I like how they are both masculine choices. [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] to me is very girly. I only know girls with this name. I think it’s like [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Marlow[/name_u] and [name_f]Harlow[/name_f] who have all gone to the girls!

From your list I also love [name_u]Grey[/name_u] and [name_m]Ford[/name_m].

I can tell that you are looking for something a little more left field than [name_u]James[/name_u] this time round and [name_u]August[/name_u] is just the name!

[name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are perfect together.

I’m clearly in the minority here, but I don’t think [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]James[/name_u] go all that well. Having said that, I do love [name_u]August[/name_u], and in the end I don’t think having sibsets that go well together is that important.

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m], in my opinion, goes much better with [name_u]James[/name_u], but is too close to [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. I’ve also known [name_u]James[/name_u] that go by [name_m]Jack[/name_m], so I think they are too close.

So, out of your options, [name_u]August[/name_u] is my favourite.

It’s interesting to me how many people find the cat name and the kid name to be conflicting. I’m not sure how many people outside our family and close friends even know we have a cat, let alone her name. But I did feel a little uncomfortable about it myself so I don’t even know. It seems a shame to have to give up a name because of a cat I named before I was even married. Ya know?

We have a [name_u]James[/name_u] who was named after his great-grandfather, sharing a first, middle, and last name. Good choice!

I think [name_u]August[/name_u] would be a fantastic name for a brother to [name_u]James[/name_u]. Handsome and distinguished. (I’m biased, of course).

Good luck with your choice!

I think [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is too similar to [name_u]James[/name_u], and with [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] you have former president [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], which would put me off that combination of siblings. If you call out to them, it’s “[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], come inside…”. While [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is close to [name_f]Olive[/name_f], but I don’t see it as a deal breaker, and it’s my favorite of the ones you’ve listed.

I’m not crazy about [name_u]August[/name_u] tbh, but that’s clearly a personal thing. I always wonder if it’s pronounced like the month (AUG-ust) or the adjective (Au-[name_m]GUST[/name_m]). If you choose it, I think you’ll be fine.

Some names to consider:

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] ([name_m]Nate[/name_m])
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] ([name_u]Max[/name_u])
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

We have an [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] (nn Auggie), and we love his name and get nothing but compliments. For us, it strikes the right balance of strong and soft, with a dignified full name and a cute nickname, plus a hint of nature and summertime. And it’s easy to spell and pronounce, but he’s still the only [name_u]August[/name_u] we know personally. (We’ve met several others at the park and various other places.) The only downside is often having to answer the question, “Was he born in [name_u]August[/name_u]?” Watch the movie [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Rush[/name_m] if you haven’t already.

I think [name_u]August[/name_u] goes really well with [name_u]James[/name_u]!

[name_u]August[/name_u] is classic and one of my faves, but it doesn’t sound good with our other kiddos! I think it’s a fantastic brother to [name_u]James[/name_u]! I like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] too, but prefer [name_u]August[/name_u].