Little House on the Prairie Names

I have starting re-reading the [name]Little[/name] House books with my 8-year-old daughter, and there are so many classic, timeless names in the [name]Laura[/name] Ingalls books!

Boys:
[name]Charles[/name]*
Almanzo
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]*

Girls:
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]*
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Carrie[/name] (probably short for [name]Caroline[/name])
[name]Grace[/name]*
[name]Charlotte[/name]*
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]*
[name]Nellie[/name]

I starred my favorites…any comments/feedback?

My knowledge comes from teh TV show, not the book

Mrs. [name]Harriette[/name] [name]Olson[/name]
and Mr. [name]Olson[/name], they always called him [name]Nels[/name], do you think his name was [name]Nelson[/name] [name]Olson[/name]? that is too much alliteration.
I also liked that [name]Almonzo[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] used other names for each other once they were in love. I believe he called her [name]Beth[/name] and she called him [name]Manny[/name]
His sister was on the show in the end a lot…[name]Eliza[/name]…did you mention that name?
Her adopted brother [name]Albert[/name]…another good name.

I did mention [name]Eliza[/name]…I forgot to put in [name]Harriet[/name]. I also just found out that [name]Laura[/name]'s daughter, [name]Rose[/name], had a husband named [name]Claire[/name]! (One of my favorites for a girl.)

I know you already listed some of these, but I have to think about it by family.

INGALLS
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] - [name]Adam[/name] [name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Laura[/name] - Almanzo [name]James[/name] [name]Wilder[/name]
[name]Carrie[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Albert[/name] [name]Quinn[/name] Ingalls
[name]James[/name] [name]Cooper[/name] Ingalls
[name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Cooper[/name] Ingalls

OLESON
[name]Nels[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Nellie[/name]
[name]Willie[/name]
[name]Nancy[/name] (the little sister, in later shows)

[name]Doc[/name] [name]Baker[/name] = Dr. [name]Hiram[/name] [name]Baker[/name]

[name]WILDER[/name]
Almanzo [name]James[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Jenny[/name] [name]Wilder[/name], Almanzo’s cousin or niece
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Wilder[/name], Almanzo’s sister

More names:

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] “[name]Freddy[/name]” – [name]Laura[/name]'s little brother who sadly died as a baby

[name]Ida[/name] - [name]Ida[/name] [name]Brown[/name], one of [name]Laura[/name]'s friends from school (I think [name]Ida[/name] is a super-sweet name)

[name]Cap[/name] - [name]Cap[/name] [name]Garland[/name], another of [name]Laura[/name]'s school friends–anyone know what, if anything, [name]Cap[/name] was short for?

and of course [name]Laura[/name] and Almanzo’s daughter [name]Rose[/name]

I also like the full names of the four Ingalls girls:

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Celestia[/name] ("[name]Carrie[/name]")
[name]Grace[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

It’s nice to see that the quest to find a harmonious first/middle combination isn’t just a recent thing–the Ingallses obviously named their girls with an eye toward nice aesthetics!

Wow, great input, you guys! You are right, even the Ingalls came up with some beautiful combinations. I like [name]Laura[/name]'s mother’s name:
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Lake[/name] (her mn)

I was a huge fan of the t.v. show when I was little and still love to watch it.
I really like the name [name]Hiram[/name], maybe this is why?
You can’t forget [name]Isaiah[/name] Edwards!
[name]Lars[/name] [name]Hanson[/name] ran the saw mill.
[name]Eva[/name] Beadle was the school teacher in the early years.
[name]Etta[/name] [name]Plum[/name] was school teacher later on.
[name]Percival[/name] maried [name]Nellie[/name] Oleson.
[name]Ebenezer[/name] Sprague was the town banker.
[name]Hester[/name] [name]Sue[/name] worked at the blind school and was a cook.
[name]Houston[/name] was an old guy that worked at the blind school.
[name]Royal[/name] [name]Wilder[/name] was [name]Almonzo[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name]'s brother.
Lots of interesting names. I used to hate the name [name]Eliza[/name] when I was younger but now I like it.

I love LHOP, too! :slight_smile: My favorites are [name]Laura[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], and [name]Henry[/name].

I don’t know if the TV show counts, but in a cheesy episode featuring [name]Nels[/name], his long lost sister, [name]Annabelle[/name], appeared in the circus, and I was happy to see that name being used. :slight_smile:

[name]Nellie[/name] Oleson’s character was apparently based on a mean girl with whom [name]Laura[/name] went to school, and her name was [name]Genevieve[/name]. (Random trivia…I’m a huge LHOP nerd.) :slight_smile:

Great thread! I hope your little girl is enjoying the books! :slight_smile:

Take care!

Thank you [name]Jill[/name] for your input–I am also a huge [name]Little[/name] House fan…my daughter is enjoying the book! She can’t believe [name]Laura[/name] only had one doll growing up!

I have finished reading all of the [name]Laura[/name] books to my 4 year old, [name]Libby[/name]. We are now working on the books about [name]Rose[/name] by [name]Robert[/name] McBride. She loves them. I read the [name]Laura[/name] books to my older sons when they were about 5-8. I wasn’t sure she would be ready for them yet, but she is fascinated. We just read about Cyclone Sallylast night. If anyone has read this series then you will know why she was quite intrigued with this part of the story (a little scared as well).

I’m glad she likes it! That’s right! I remember [name]Laura[/name]'s doll from the book! Wasn’t it awful how the kids teased [name]Laura[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] for being “country girls” when they started school?

Have a good weekend!