Living up to a name

Certain names that I love are met with people saying they are too hard to live up to. For example, [name_m]Adonis[/name_m]. People say it would be hard for a boy to live up to that name as he is the prime example of male beauty but I had never heard of the mythological story or someone calling someone an [name_m]Adonis[/name_m] and actually got the name from the movie [name_m]Creed[/name_m]. People don’t have a problem with names like [name_f]Belle[/name_f] which mean beautiful. Or what if a [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] isn’t cautious and is in fact rash. People use [name_m]Dawson[/name_m] even if the father isn’t a [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] even if they don’t expect them to be a woodcutter. Is it really that different? Do you all have the Adonis association? What other names can you think of that have high expectations?

Chastity, [name_f]Patience[/name_f], [name_f]Sincerity[/name_f], [name_u]Poet[/name_u], [name_u]Painter[/name_u]

I personally love the idea of virtue names because they either describe your virtues or remind you to be, say, prudent and they are just soooo pretty!

Names that are hard to live up to:
[name_u]Poet[/name_u]
[name_f]Queenie[/name_f]
[name_m]King[/name_m]
[name_m]Prince[/name_m]
[name_f]Regina[/name_f]
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u] (what if he’s left handed?)

1 Like

It really doesn’t bother me when people have virtue names that they don’t live up to. I know a boy named [name_u]Noble[/name_u] (a great name!) but he’s not very noble. His sister’s middle name is [name_f]Serene[/name_f], and she is quite the opposite. It doesn’t bother me because I no longer associate their names with the virtues, because I just associate it with them.

1 Like

People always said that about [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] (carried the world on his shoulders). Doesn’t seem to be such an issue now.

1 Like

Names like [name_u]Messiah[/name_u], [name_f]Chastity[/name_f], [name_u]Rebel[/name_u], and [name_m]King[/name_m] would be hard to live up to. I think the same way about names that are too occupational or artsy, such as [name_u]Poet[/name_u], [name_u]Drummer[/name_u], [name_f]Boheme[/name_f], etc., just in case the kid wanted to grow up to be an accountant, lol.

1 Like