Llewellyn?!

This Welsh name is pronounced “[name]Lou[/name]-ellen”–and I completely love it for a GIRL. My loooong-time best friend mentioned she liked it when I said I liked the name “[name]Luella[/name]”.
I love the name [name]Ellen[/name]/[name]Ellyn[/name], and I have a good amount of Welsh Origin in my background.
I [name]LOVE[/name] this name for a girl.
To me, it sounds like a girl’s name and should at least be considered as a candidate to be one (especially if ‘[name]Floyd[/name]’ now is!).
Any thoughts on this??

Well, of course, it is really pronounced differently because of that Welsh double “l” which makes a sound that is indescribable if you haven’t heard it! English people tend to pronounce it as “th” but that is not right.

I am writing from [name]Wales[/name], and of course you would have a LOT of funny looks and remarks if you called a baby girl [name]Llewellyn[/name] (who was of course a famous Welsh [name]Prince[/name]) - but you are in [name]America[/name], and if you like the spelling and want to pronounce it [name]Lou[/name]-[name]Ellen[/name], then go for it girl!

Best of luck!

I knew a [name]Llewellyn[/name] and he liked to be called [name]Lew[/name]. I thought the name was strange at first but it’s pretty traditional and is originally a boys name. His mother was English and they lived in Fiji for awhile.

I like [name]Llewellyn[/name] a lot for a boy, but I’ve always thought people would think it sounded feminine. So I suppose it could work for a girl. I prefer [name]Luella[/name] for a girl though.

I wish I could hear [name]Llewellyn[/name] pronounced in Welsh.

this is a name of a school in my town. so i would never name my child this but i do think it could work for a little girl.

It is pronounced like ‘[name]Lew[/name]-ellen’, but perhaps a bit softer & quicker.
It is such a beautiful name; my best friend was also very surprised to hear it was purely a male name!!
I would probably use “[name]Lulu[/name]” or “[name]Ellyn[/name]” as a nn. :slight_smile:

I don’t see why you couldn’t use it for a little girl. Honestly out of all the boys names being used for girls this one definitely sounds feminine. Lots of nn possibilities.

While it could work, it doesn’t look very feminine in my opinion … I prefer the gorgeous [name]Luella[/name].

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name] there. I was doing a search under the name [name]Llewellyn[/name] thinking it was a girls name. I had seen the name many years ago in Brisbane Queensland on a bicycle brand of all things and thought it was a gorgeous name for a girl. To my surprise I read it is very much a strong Welsh boys name!! This is a conundrum as I dearly want my girl called [name]Llewellyn[/name] and no doubt her nick name will be [name]Lou[/name]. We find out the sex in 3 weeks time. Thanks for posting this topic, it has been a helpful read.

Oh and [name]Luella[/name] is out of the question as it is my wifes friend’s name. Not as good as [name]Llewellyn[/name] though :wink:

Definitely a boy’s name. I first heard it in “No Country For Old Men” and loved it.

I can see taking liberty with certain names, but I also feel that a certain amount of respect needs to be given to a name’s history (in this case the name of a Welsh prince).

I frankly don’t see why you couldn’t name your daughter [name]Luella[/name] even if it IS a friend’s name – a name pronounced [name]Lu[/name]-[name]Ellen[/name] is practically the same thing as [name]Luella[/name] so if she’s going to be upset, I don’t think [name]Llewellyn[/name] would be any better.

There is no reason why you should not use it for a girl in [name]America[/name] (or anywhere outside [name]Wales[/name], I guess).

As someone brought up on Welsh traditions and hearing spoken Welsh everyday, (although I am not Welsh-speaking myself, sadly - the English forbade my mother’s generation from speaking Welsh at school or else they would be punished!), I can only think of [name]Llewellyn[/name] as a strong male name. But in [name]America[/name], there seems to be a definite habit of “poaching” boys’ names for girls anyway, so if you like it and it sounds feminine to you, then go for it!

Let us know, though!

I am all for respect but no one in Australia would know the difference unless they had Welsh heritage. At the end of the day a lot of names are becoming less sexist due to the boundaries coming down in communities. My friend called his daughter [name]Jamie[/name], which at first sounded strange, but really is cool for a girl I think. If [name]Llewellyn[/name] has such strong ties to men, but has hardly been used as a first name, and predominantly used as a surname, then I think it’s a perfect opportunity to use such an elegant name for a females given name.

However I am now reluctant to tell the wife as she will probably not want to go for it. At first she really liked it. Who knows it may be a boy! In that case we’re going to have to figure that one out as we have not come to an agreement.

My best friend’s baby is named [name]Lucy[/name] (I call her ‘[name]LuLu[/name]’ though), she was just suggesting ‘[name]Llewellyn[/name]’, and I like it much more than ‘[name]Luella[/name]’, but thanks! :slight_smile:

I do as well. Although I disagree with the pronounciation. In [name]Wales[/name] double L is prnounced Cl but with a welsh accent it’s more like Hclh if that makes sense. So, said in an English accent it would Clewellyn and in a welsh accent Hclhewellyn. But it’d still be spelt [name]Llewellyn[/name].

[name]Love[/name] it for a girl either way lol

Well done jelly girl for putting the Welsh “LL” into phonetic spelling? To lots of non-welsh speakers, it just sounds like like you are gargling at the back of your throat or about to throw up!

I quite like [name]Llewellyn[/name] for it’s unusual sort of charm and it always reminds me of [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name] because the [name]Llewellyn[/name]-[name]Davies[/name] boys were the ones the author, [name]James[/name] M. [name]Barrie[/name], based his main characters on. It does seem like more of a boys name to me but I see no reason for someone not to call a girl this.

It is my Grandpa’s name, but I do like it for a girl!

In my opinion this is purely boy–as much as naming a beautiful baby girl [name]Henry[/name] because it ends in y. And I don’t think you have to have Welsh heritage to know that it is traditionally a boys name. [name]Just[/name] my opinion, though!

[name]Do[/name] I detect another Welsh woman on the site, Gwensmom? [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Gwen[/name], by the way.