Lola and Layla--too close for cousins?

One of the names on our list of “likes” is [name]Lola[/name], but my husband’s sister has a [name]Layla[/name]. Too close, or no big deal?

I have an [name]Alanna[/name], and my sister-in-law wanted to name her baby [name]Alayna[/name]. She asked if it was too close, and if we would have any hard feelings by naming her [name]Alayna[/name]. I thought it was very close (the names are actually of the same meaning, too). But I told her if she really loved the name, then go for it. So I think you should pick the name [name]Lola[/name], if you really love it.

it does seem really close.
is [name]Lola[/name] short for anything?
traditionally, [name]Lola[/name] is short for [name]Dolores[/name]… which i don’t like. but there are a lot of other really pretty names that would work with [name]Lola[/name] as a nn…
my favorites are::
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Melody[/name]
[name]Nicola[/name]
[name]Lauren[/name]

but as someone told me in an earlier post… if you absolutely love it, don’t let anything stand in the way of your choosing it!!

I’m really loving “L” names if we have another girl. I love the name [name]Layla[/name] but my dog’s name is [name]Lola[/name]. I think they are way too close, even for cousins. I even asked, jokingly if we could just change [name]Lola[/name]'s name to something else Ha! Okay I was the only one who found it funny and my husband looked at me like I was serious and needed to be committed.
We also have a niece named [name]Ava[/name]. All though I love the names [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Eva[/name] or even [name]Eve[/name], I wont use them because they are all too close to [name]Ava[/name]. We only see [name]Ava[/name] a few times year but having a name that is too close still concerns me.

I would say its no big deal.

I think they are quite close but all the cousins on my mums side of my family (me included) have names starting with ‘C’ so that’s kind of become a tradition for use and I’m used to lots of people in the same family having similar names so it’s no big deal for me. Having said that though, [name]Lola[/name] and [name]Layla[/name] are very close… Have you thought maybe of using something that sounds like [name]Lola[/name], for example [name]Nola[/name]? Or would you consider using [name]Lola[/name] just as a nn?

I would suggest that it depends on your family dynamics, really. I know, on my paternal side we all intentionally try not to duplicate names, even those of us who don’t see each other frequently. However, on my maternal side, there are two Davids and and an [name]Aiden[/name] and [name]Kayden[/name] (go figure) and it doesn’t bother anyone.
To me, as long as they are not sibs, [name]Layla[/name] and [name]Lola[/name] sound different enough. Have you considered asking [name]Layla[/name]'s parents what they think?
ps. loving [name]Lola[/name].

I have an older cousin, [name]Eric[/name], and I am [name]Erin[/name]. We are a very close family and see each other most weekends, and it’s never been an issue for us or our family :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

My sister in law likes [name]Lola[/name], but she and other family members on that side have mentioned that “it sounds too much like [name]Layla[/name].” I get it, but can’t help feeling put off by the sentiment because if [name]Lola[/name] is out, then so is [name]Lila[/name], [name]Lily[/name], and any other beautiful “L” name that we really love ([name]Olivia[/name] is a favorite of mine and works but is just so darn popular that I am really trying to avoid it–though now I am starting to feel hijacked into using it). My husband and I are also separated, so I have a tendency to really not care so much what that side of the family thinks, but in an effort to be fair and reasonable, I am trying… :slight_smile:

We would use [name]Lola[/name] as a full name, not a nn, primarily because we are not particularly nn people–our children are called by their full names–but mostly because I don’t care for any of the full names that could give me [name]Lola[/name] as a nn (I do kind of like [name]Penelope[/name], but it seems a far stretch for [name]Lola[/name] to me and I don’t want to name my daughter a name that I only kind of like to get a nn that I really like).

I call the baby [name]Lola[/name] a lot, my kids call the baby [name]Lola[/name], my husband calls her [name]Lola[/name]–it’s the one name that we all like right now. My sister in law also has an [name]Emma[/name] which then eliminates all the “[name]Em[/name]” names like [name]Emeline[/name], and possibly even [name]Amelie[/name] that I like. SOOOO frustrating!!!

[name]Just[/name] venting here…thanks again for the input!

If everyone is already calling her [name]Lola[/name], and you all love that name, then name her [name]Lola[/name]! It’s your baby, and the family will get over it… very quickly I’m sure. It’ not like you’re using the name [name]Layla[/name], either.
Also, there are lots of families out there that have many cousins that have the same names, as it is family traditions to name the baby after someone in the family… so there might be five cousins named [name]Michael[/name] or [name]Michelle[/name], etc.