Lola?

I am thinking about using the name [name]Lola[/name] but don’t know if I want it as its own name or a nickname. Can you think of any names that [name]Lola[/name] is a nickname for besides [name]Lourdes[/name] and [name]Lolita[/name]? Also, what middle names and brother sister names would sound good with it? We have a one syllable last name.

Well, [name]Dolores[/name] is traditional for the nickname [name]Lola[/name]. My name is [name]Laura[/name] and my nickname is [name]Lola[/name]. I think any L name that’s got a slight Lo- souund at the beginning is game:
[name]Lorraine[/name], [name]Louise[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Laurel[/name] (and bah, [name]Lauren[/name]) would work and that’s just off the top of my head. I’d definitely consider something more formal for [name]Lola[/name]. As a first name, it’s not one that ages super well. (And like I said, it’s my nickname, I live with it, so I know).

Brother & sisters would have to wait until you decided which full name you would go with.

I had forgotten about [name]Dolores[/name], but I don’t really like that name or its meaning I’m afraid. I’ll look for some more “Lo” names.

Let’s see…I think you could get [name]Lola[/name] from:

[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
Lulette
[name]Leonora[/name]

Less obvious [name]Lola[/name] sources:

[name]Marlo[/name] (ends in lo)
[name]Finola[/name] (you’ve got the ola ending)
[name]Viola[/name] (ditto)
[name]Charlotte[/name] (I think of [name]Lottie[/name], which could lead to [name]Lola[/name])

Good luck!

[name]Paloma[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name]. I think it works.

I like just [name]Lola[/name], I think its short, sweet and beautiful.

i think susan is on to something with [name]Paloma[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name]- I love [name]Paloma[/name] and i never thought of [name]Lola[/name] as a nickname- susan knows best! its nice to have a name with a nickname, so [name]Paloma[/name] with [name]Lola[/name] as nn definitely gets my vote!

Thank you all for your help. :slight_smile: I really do like the idea of using [name]Lola[/name] as a nickname for [name]Paloma[/name].

I’m so glad you like [name]Paloma[/name]. I think I got the nickname [name]Lola[/name] for [name]Paloma[/name] idea from [name]Laura[/name] Wattenburg who wrote Name [name]Wizard[/name]. [name]Paloma[/name] is a stunningly gorgeous name!