Long Italian last name...what might work *if* it's a boy?

our last name is 4-syllables and Italian and starts with an “S”. some issues however are that the Italian names that could potentially work well have been sort of saturated here in the NY and NJ region and some folks seem to associate them to the Sopranos and [name_u]Jersey[/name_u] [name_u]Shore[/name_u].

i’m hoping to find a name that’s classic, not completely trendy that will go out of style in the next few years. i am completely open to opinions, new options, etc.

the few boy names we like (finding them/agreeing has been hard) and associated “negatives” are:

1. [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] (been told this has been a “90’s” trendy name, recall “[name_u]Dylan[/name_u] Klebold” from [name_f]Columbine[/name_f]).
  2. [name_u]Luca[/name_u] (i really like this name, wife is not sold. reminds me of “[name_m]Luka[/name_m] Magnotta”, another horrible murderer and “[name_u]Luca[/name_u] Brasi”. i don’t think this falls into the camp of “trendy” Italian first names, however).
  3. [name_m]Leo[/name_m] (a little short, reminds wife of an older gentleman’s name).
  4. [name_m]Liam[/name_m] (nice name, classic?, ok to match with Italian last name?)

[name_u]Luca[/name_u] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are great! I’ll also suggest [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and [name_u]Nico[/name_u]!

Seconding [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], and [name_u]Nico[/name_u]. Some shorter italian names that I like are Massi, [name_m]Dante[/name_m], [name_m]Enzo[/name_m], [name_m]Marco[/name_m], [name_m]Raul[/name_m], and [name_m]Rocco[/name_m]. Some names that are shorter and [name_f]English[/name_f] like [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] and [name_m]Liam[/name_m] are [name_m]Cole[/name_m], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Dean[/name_u], and [name_u]Blake[/name_u].

[name_u]Luca[/name_u] is a fantastic name although I think [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] might be more handsome.

[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Matteo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestions of [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_m]Milo[/name_m] and [name_u]Nico[/name_u] (or Niccolo). [name_u]Luca[/name_u] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are lovely too but a little more common/widely used, although that may just be where I’m from. [name_m]Liam[/name_m] is also nice and absolutely fine with an Italian surname although it’s extremely popular (I think it’s #1 in the States?). Some other ideas:

[name_m]Lorenzo[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_m]Alessio[/name_m]
[name_m]Massimo[/name_m] / [name_u]Max[/name_u]
[name_m]Enzo[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]

Good luck!

I really like all four of your options, although [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is my favorite. I don’t think any of the negatives you list would be real dealbreakers, especially the associations with murderers, since the names themselves are quite common and certainly not overwhelmingly associated with the particular person. [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] is a little dated to the 90s, but it’s a good solid name and I think it’s still a very usable choice.

[name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], [name_m]Mateo[/name_m], or [name_u]Asa[/name_u] might be good choices for you, similar to the names you guys like!

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] and [name_u]Luca[/name_u] are great!!

I think you have some good options!

1. [name_u]Dylan[/name_u]- it was indeed more popular in the 90s, but I dont think it sounds out of place with the Rylands, Rykers, Ryans of today.

2. [name_u]Luca[/name_u]- I love [name_u]Luca[/name_u]. A friend just named their little girl [name_u]Luca[/name_u] (people were quite surprised to see it on a girl). Its a well known name and I would never associate it with [name_f]Columbine[/name_f]. You could opt for [name_u]Lucca[/name_u], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], [name_m]Luke[/name_m] to distance the association if you are worried.

3. [name_m]Leo[/name_m]- it’s nice. I have met quite a few young [name_m]Leo[/name_m]’s. What about [name_u]Theo[/name_u]?

4. [name_m]Liam[/name_m]- I feel like this fits with the vibe of [name_u]Dylan[/name_u]. I know more 20-something [name_m]Liam[/name_m]’s than any other age. Still a lovely name.

I love the suggestion of [name_u]Nico[/name_u] for you. It feels similar to the other names you like!

Other suggestions- [name_m]Mateo[/name_m], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Gabe[/name_m]), [name_m]Marco[/name_m], [name_m]Emilio[/name_m], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m], [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_m]Landon[/name_m].

I like the idea of sticking with an Italian name… With a 4 syllable last name- shorter might be best! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestions of [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_u]Gio[/name_u], [name_u]Nico[/name_u], [name_m]Enzo[/name_m], [name_m]Dante[/name_m], [name_m]Marco[/name_m] ! [name_u]Luca[/name_u], while nice may get lost in all the [name_m]Lukes[/name_m] & [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]’…

I like [name_u]Luca[/name_u] the best of your names! Simple and ties in the Italian heritage without being too trendy. [name_m]Leo[/name_m] is sweet as well, definitely sounds current rather than old manish to me.

I really like the above suggestions of [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m]. I’ll add [name_m]Renzo[/name_m], [name_m]Aldo[/name_m], [name_m]Pierce[/name_m], and [name_u]Max[/name_u] as names you might like.

thanks all.

we’re down to

LUCA

or

THEO

thoughts?

1 Like

Both are great - you can’t go wrong! [name_u]Luca[/name_u] probably just wins out for me.

Thanks!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] bumping the thread for a few more opinions on [name_u]Luca[/name_u] vs. [name_m]Leo[/name_m] vs. [name_u]Theo[/name_u].

Also should we be focused on a certain amount of syllables for a middle name assuming we have a two syllable first and four syllable last?

I love your final choices , but I really love [name_u]Theo[/name_u]!

[name_u]Luca[/name_u] is a little more popular where I live, and for me it almost always comes down to popularity.

I feel [name_u]Theo[/name_u] ages well and is recognizable, and pretty universal. Whichever you choose will be perfect.

2 Likes