Long Quinn forms- Quintana?

I really like [name]Quinn[/name] for a boy, but I know it’ll be taken over by the girls (thanks a lot, glee). But lately I’ve been seeing the appeal for girls. I think it’s really cute. But I kind of hate unisex names, having one myself, and I like the idea of nicknames, not having one myself. So what do you think of [name]Quintana[/name] or [name]Quintina[/name]- unnecessarily frilly, or okay? Which do you like more? I like [name]Quinn[/name] itself better, but for the reasons mentioned wouldn’t use it by itself.

I think it’s frilly :expressionless: I like just plain [name]Quinn[/name] or Quinnley.

I much prefer just [name]Quinn[/name]. [name]Gwen[/name] has a very similar sound and you could name her [name]Gwendolyn[/name] if you really want a feminine name with a nickname.

[name]Quintana[/name] is a last name, isn’t it? What about [name]Quintina[/name]? It’s the feminine form of the ancient [name]Roman[/name] name Quintinus.

I MUCH prefer [name]Quinn[/name]-- even as a nickname-- on boys, though. It has such a masculine sound.

[name]Quintana[/name] would be pronounced keen-[name]TAH[/name]-na, if we’re being picky (it’s a hispanic last name), so for me it would be off-putting to have someone introduce themselves as “kwin-tah-na.” It’s kind of like when people pronounce Vasquez “vass-kwez.”

[name]Quin[/name]-names that are actually pronounces “kwin” :

[name]Quinlan[/name] / [name]Quinlin[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name]
[name]Quintina[/name]

I actually knew about the Spanish last name thing, but for some reason I thought it had a seperate etymology as a first name, in the whole [name]Quintus[/name] family. I researched it though, and you’re right- [name]Quintina[/name] is related to [name]Quintus[/name], but [name]Quintana[/name] doesn’t seem to be. Thanks for pointing that out!

I just had a thought that might work. [name]Jacqueline[/name] nn [name]Quinn[/name]? I think it’s doable. A lovely feminine full name with the fun nn [name]Quinn[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] nn [name]Quinn[/name]- that’s a great idea!

Wow. That was genius!

I like [name]Quinn[/name] for girls OR boys. I mentioned it to my [name]SIL[/name] as a boys name once and she said “but thats a girls name”. :frowning:

I much prefer just [name]Quinn[/name] over [name]Quintana[/name] or anything like that.

[name]Quinn[/name] is cute, but how about [name]Quinna[/name]? It’s totally fem, and the nn [name]Quinn[/name] is obvious.

[name]John[/name] [name]Dunne[/name] and [name]Joan[/name] [name]Didion[/name] named their adopted daughter [name]Quintana[/name], so it’s not entirely unheard of. They used it as a place name from the state in Mexico. If you like [name]Quintana[/name], then I think it’s useable. However I think [name]Jacqueline[/name] is a pretty brilliant way to get [name]Quinn[/name] as a nickname. It’s heard of as a first name and gives her other nickname options if she wants to try them out.

But I do have to say that all the Quinns I know in real life are male.

[name]Didion[/name], who was the most famous person to name someone [name]Quintana[/name], pronounced the [name]Quin[/name] part just like people pronounce [name]Quinn[/name]. Furthermore when you speak Spanish you pronounce words with a Spanish pronunciation. When you speak English you say words with English pronunciations. I assume the mother is an English speaker, and you’re being a little ridiculous.

Thanks for your help everyone! I [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] nn [name]Quinn[/name]. If I use it, it’ll definitely be that! I didn’t really love any of the longer forms I had before, but I think I’ve finally found a great one. Thank you so much!