Long versions for NN Leo

Any ideas for a full name for the NN [name]Leo[/name]? I was just thinking about how cute this NN is, but I don’t really like [name]Leonardo[/name] or [name]Leonard[/name]. Any other ideas? Creative, traditional and outside the box ideas are all welcome.

I really like [name]Leo[/name]! Here are a few ideas, of varying styles:

[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Leonidas[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Lysander[/name]

I love [name]Leopold[/name]!

[name]Leo[/name] is a great nickname! I love [name]Leon[/name], which sounds fresh and isn’t too popular. [name]Leopold[/name] is another great one, and sounds more up to date than [name]Leonard[/name]. You could also use a name that starts with the sound “[name]Lee[/name]” like [name]Levi[/name] or [name]Leander[/name] and then pair it with a middle name like [name]Oliver[/name] or [name]Oscar[/name] and then make [name]Leo[/name] out of the first sounds of both names, so [name]LEvi[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] = [name]Leo[/name]. That stretches it a bit but it’s an interesting way to get the nickname.

I say just name him [name]Leo[/name]. It definitely works as a first name for a child and for when he’s an adult. I don’t think you need to force another name when the name you like is [name]Leo[/name]!

[name]Emilio[/name]
[name]Pompilio[/name]

I found the above names when I did a search for names. It is one of the categories on the left side of this page. In the box that asked for name endings, I put “lio”. I got a long list of forty-four names. [name]Leo[/name] could be a nn for any of those forty-four names.
I love [name]Leo[/name] as a nn for [name]Lionel[/name] or [name]Leopold[/name]. [name]Lionel[/name] can also be spelled [name]Leonel[/name]. I know someone named [name]Leonel[/name] whose middle name is [name]Ingnacio[/name], So handsome! [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Ignatius[/name] would be handsome, too.

[name]Leopold[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name] is one of my favorites!

[name]Leonid[/name] - also refers to a meteor shower!

There is something very graceful and romantic about [name]Leander[/name]. I don’t know if that’s what you’re looking for in a boy’s name, but I love it!

[name]Hi[/name]! I love [name]Leo[/name]! (It’s one of my favorite names!) I can’t recall if [name]Lionel[/name] was already suggested, but another, less obvious source of [name]Leo[/name] could be [name]Elliot[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I wasn’t convinced but I read on someone’s blog that [name]Leo[/name] could be a nn for [name]Lawrence[/name].

I like the idea, but his middle name will most likely be [name]Charles[/name]. It is a family name and my husband will not budge.

I like the sound of the name, but my surname ends in -er so I don’t think it will work.

The only one which I don’t think has been mentioned yet is Leonide. [name]Leo[/name] is a great name, and [name]Charles[/name] is such a classic! You may also like [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Jago[/name], [name]Luca[/name], [name]Rocco[/name], [name]Otto[/name] and [name]Milo[/name].

Good luck!

As my favorite pick for a future son, I prefer having [name]Leo[/name] as the full name. And it IS a stand-alone name, being the Latin word for ‘lion’. For me, to add anything onto the end disrupts the fresh sound of the name - names like [name]Leonard[/name] (at least in my NZ accent) take the long ‘e’ sound away from it, and so [name]Leonard[/name] sounds like ‘Lennid’, which is not nearly as attractive to me. Also, the name [name]Leon[/name] uses a short ‘o’ sound, when it is the long ‘oh’ in [name]Leo[/name] that makes it so lovely. [name]Just[/name] my opinion, of course, but I say stick with [name]Leo[/name] if that’s the name you love.