Longer form of Nina?

I’m not expecting, but I’ve always loved the name [name]Nina[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though I have plenty of two-syllable names on my list, [name]Nina[/name] just seems to be too short. Maybe because it doesn’t have any/many nickname possibilities. Nicknames aren’t too important to me, but my name is four-syllables and so are all 3 of my sisters’ names. I’ve grown up with all of us having nicknames and it’s normal for me. I’d like my kids to have nickname possibilities.

I was just curious if there is a longer version of [name]Nina[/name] where [name]Nina[/name] would BE the nickname or take up the majority of the name. [name]Unique[/name] works for me.

Thanks!

I love [name]Nina[/name] on its own, but there are lots of names that end in [name]Nina[/name]: [name]Annina[/name], [name]Junina[/name], [name]Penina[/name], [name]Ornina[/name], [name]Marnina[/name], [name]Antonina[/name]. I think some -nine names can get you there: [name]Jeanine[/name], [name]Leonine[/name]. I also think you could take a name that ends in -ina (and maybe has an N in it elsewhere) and pull [name]Nina[/name] from it: [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Andrina[/name], [name]Florentina[/name], [name]Nicolina[/name], [name]Nerina[/name]. [name]Even[/name] [name]Bettina[/name], [name]Bertina[/name], [name]Catrina[/name], [name]Evelina[/name], [name]Serafina[/name], etc. would work OK in my book since [name]Nina[/name] would rhyme with their shortened forms…

But I like plain, old [name]Nina[/name] best :slight_smile:

Thanks! I actually added [name]Penina[/name] to my list.

[name]Penny[/name] (or even [name]Copper[/name]) would be a cute nickname, too!

I have two friends named [name]Janine[/name]/[name]Jeanine[/name] that both go by [name]Nina[/name], so that’s at least somewhat common.

I too adore [name]Nina[/name], and I too wonder if it is too short (also, I have a short last name, so that is part of the challenge).

I’ll add to the rhyming list [name]Josephina[/name]/[name]Josefina[/name]

I’ve also toyed with the idea of using it as a nickname for [name]Naomi[/name] if I ever have one, but that is a stretch I know. But really any N name I could see arguing for it, since it has that first letter and [name]Nina[/name] means girl. [name]Nicola[/name]?

To put it in perspective: this was a pet name (i.e., household-only nickname) for me growing up, and I’m a [name]Jessica[/name]. : D. It never left the house though, I don’t know if that’s because my parents thought it wouldn’t work / had experience with it not working / only wanted it for household use (I suspect the last, I’ll have to ask!).

Good luck!

I knew a [name]Kristina[/name] who went by [name]Nina[/name]. Not the most unusual name, but I am throwing it into the mix. :slight_smile:

I’ll throw my name into the mix - [name]Stefanie[/name]/ [name]Stephanie[/name] (or even [name]Stefania[/name]). When I was young my family nickname was [name]Nina[/name] because one night my mom said goodnight Stefanina and my brother started calling me [name]Nina[/name] and it stuck. [name]Nina[/name] has a very special place in my heart because of that, but I also like it on its own - I don’t think it’s too short.

I have a friend [name]Marina[/name] that occasionally goes by [name]Nina[/name].

I think [name]Nina[/name] can stand on it’s own. My fiance’ niece is named [name]Nina[/name]. It’s not a nickname, it’s her name.

[name]Georgina[/name] is my favorite way to get to the nickname [name]Nina[/name], but i also think that [name]Nina[/name] is able to stand on its own! Such a great name

I don’t think that [name]Nina[/name] needs to be lengthened. It stands alone just fine.

The beautiful [name]Antonina[/name] is a natural for nn of [name]Nina[/name].

[name]Yonina[/name] is Hebrew, its the feminine form of [name]Yonah[/name], which is [name]Jonah[/name]. It means, like [name]Jonah[/name] does, “dove.”

I do think [name]Nina[/name] could stand on its own, but [name]Yonina[/name] is my favourite way to lengthen it. [name]Jonah[/name] gets used a lot but [name]Yonina[/name] hardly does (In English speaking countries).

Dinora comes to mind.

My DD is [name]Nina[/name]! We have had some people ask what it’s short for, and they have all assumed [name]Christina[/name]. I didn’t know that it was a common NN for [name]Christina[/name] before we named [name]Nina[/name]. I like [name]Nina[/name] on its own. :slight_smile:

There is a musical duo named [name]Nina[/name] [name]Sky[/name], b/c the sisters are [name]Nicole[/name] and [name]Natalie[/name]. So you could do a first name-middle name thing, where the first name starts with Ni- and the middle name starts with Na-. VERY much a stretch, but it could work.

You can always use the Arthurian name [name]Ninian[/name], which could be shortened to [name]Nina[/name].

I like [name]Caterina[/name] nn [name]Nina[/name] best.

You should look in to Russian diminutive names, you might find it interesting :slight_smile:

On topic, lol… Karenina (as in [name]Anna[/name] Karenina, by Tolstoy); [name]Nerida[/name]; [name]Nadine[/name]/[name]Nadina[/name]; Danina…

Also, there is a popular TV drama on in Australia at the moment called Offspring and the main character’s name is [name]Nina[/name] - she’s a socially awkward, lovable, intelligent obstetrician played by the beautiful [name]Asher[/name] Keddie. You should look it up :slight_smile: