Loraine for a boy

We are expecting our second son. Our first is [name_m]Albert[/name_m].

I am having to give up my beloved honor name [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] that I wanted to use for my daughter.

But what about a middle name for a son? Or even a first?

Names we are now considering:

[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]/[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_m]Parks[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]

Middles

Meridian
[name_f]Loraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_m]Parks[/name_m]

I am very stuck. I feel my first son’s name was perfect and is perfectly suited to him, but nothing is jumping out at me. Open to all suggestions. We like old fashioned, somewhat clunky, and nature names in the middle, or word names. Help!

I wouldn’t do it as I can’t imagine your son would love having that name, but I do think he would love a more masculine version of the name as a connection to his grandma. I think [name_m]Loran[/name_m], [name_u]Lorin[/name_u], or another name beginning with Lor would be great.

I would personally say no, even as a middle name, since it is a female name. Maybe [name_m]Laurent[/name_m]/[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]?

From your list, I love:

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] and [name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] and [name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] and [name_m]George[/name_m]

What I would suggest as far as middle names go would depend on what your son’s middle name is.

I plan on honoring a [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] with [name_u]Laine[/name_u], you could also use [name_u]Lane[/name_u].

I wouldn’t use [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] for a boy’s first name, just as I wouldn’t use [name_m]Albert[/name_m] or [name_m]George[/name_m] for a girl. As a middle, I think it could work, though I prefer [name_u]Lorin[/name_u], [name_f]Laurin[/name_f], [name_u]Laurie[/name_u], [name_m]Laurent[/name_m], etc. All I think would be a clear enough tribute to a [name_f]Loraine[/name_f].

I like [name_m]Albert[/name_m] best with the most formal, traditional names on your list: [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Winston[/name_m] and [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]/[name_m]Edward[/name_m]. [name_m]Albert[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m] would be my favourite set!

I think [name_m]Albert[/name_m] & [name_m]Winston[/name_m] would be great!

[name_f]Loraine[/name_f] is a no-go for a boy I think. And, sorry so is Meridian and [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]. They sound too girly to me.

I like the suggestion of [name_u]Lane[/name_u]! [name_m]Winston[/name_m] [name_u]Lane[/name_u]?

Please don’t call your son [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]! I don’t think he will like it too much :confused:

I like the suggestion of [name_u]Lane[/name_u] though.

I actually really like the idea of [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] for a boy. Looking up the meaning, it’s the name of a province in [name_f]France[/name_f], so it’s not inherently gendered. Though, it is historically feminine, so it might be harder for a guy to wear as a first name. That being said, it’s definitely possible for a guy to pull it off. [name_u]Ray[/name_u] works as a fairly masculine nickname (I’m totally basing this off of the movie Uptown Girls). [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_u]Lorne[/name_u] might work.

[name_f]Loraine[/name_f] would be awesome as a middle name. It could work really well paired with almost any name from your list ([name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] and [name_m]Winston[/name_m] [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] are my personal favourites). Plus, I find that there’s room for creativity in middle names (since they’re rarely used on a regular basis), so, if [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] is too daring for a first, I don’t see why it can’t work for a middle.

If you find that [name_f]Loraine[/name_f] absolutely doesn’t work for a boy’s name, could [name_u]Rain[/name_u] work as an alternative? You mentioned that you like nature names for middles, and [name_u]Rain[/name_u] checks that box.

Some other options (since you mentioned nothing so far has stood out for you):
[name_m]Ernest[/name_m]
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m]
[name_m]Norman[/name_m]
[name_m]Eugene[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

For middles:
[name_m]Flint[/name_m]
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u] / [name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_m]Rainier[/name_m] (could be another alternative to [name_f]Loraine[/name_f])

I know a man named [name_u]Loren[/name_u] and he absolutely insisted on not putting it in his sons name because he disliked it so much. But it is technically a masculine name and I would choose this over [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]. However, I really like the suggestion of [name_u]Rain[/name_u] since you already like nature names and it is gender neutral.

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the [sort of] suggestion of [name_u]Lorne[/name_u]!! I think it’s a great, softer-sounding boys’ name, especially in the middle; I have it in one of my own combos. It’d definitely work to honour a [name_f]Loraine[/name_f], which like the majority of previous posters I can’t see working as a FN or MN for a boy.

Stick with [name_u]Lane[/name_u], [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], [name_m]Lorn[/name_m], etc.

I’d say if you really really want to, go for it. I don’t mind girl names for boys as much

To be honest I don’t think many men or boys would enjoy being named [name_f]Loraine[/name_f], even if it is after a beloved family member. As a middle name it might be fine though.

With [name_m]Albert[/name_m], I like [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Winston[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]

[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] is a girls name. And so is [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] {despite it being a word}. You may consider [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and its variations instead

I am afraid I couldn’t do it as a first name. Your son may not appreciate it in the middle either, but it probably wouldn’t be as a big of a deal in the middle spot. It wouldn’t be my preference, though. Would [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] feel like an honor name to you?

My father in law has a “girl” name & he HATES it. If you want to honor [name_f]Loraine[/name_f], what about using her maiden name as a middle?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Although I appreciate everyone’s feelings about the gendered nature of the name, if we really love it, we would use . We almost named our first some [name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] so [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] could definitely be contender to honor both grandma and Aunt [name_f]Laura[/name_f] in the middle spot.

Our son’s middle name is [name_m]Bridger[/name_m], so that nature word name theme would like to be continued with our second.

I love the feedback!!

My husband’s current favorites are [name_u]Florian[/name_u], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m].

Mine are [name_u]Florian[/name_u], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] and [name_m]George[/name_m].

Would love more middle name suggestions!

Thanks!!!

@dbear22 I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m]!

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] & [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] & [name_m]Casper[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] & [name_m]Orson[/name_m] [name_m]Maxfield[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] & [name_u]Florian[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] & [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] & [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Maxfield[/name_m]

Thank you! Both names are honor names of sort. W don’t really feel the need to stick to those restraints with our second.

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] suggestions!

I’d like to echo the suggestion of [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as a brother to [name_m]Albert[/name_m].