Lost Dad Looking for Name Help for his Little Girl

My last name is [name]Smith[/name] and and I am having a little girl. This is my first baby and I’m so nervous and excited. I found the name [name]Story[/name] and am considering it for either a first or middle name, but I know nothing of naming etiquette and I don’t know if the S name goes with the S last name. I am also unsure if the name, [name]Story[/name], is a bit too creative and could be trouble for a little child. Am I supposed to have names with more than one syllable since my last name is only one? I’m lost! I would really appreciate some naming input. Thank you so much!

[name]Hi[/name], and congratulations!

[name]Story[/name] is a bold choice, but then again, word names are on trend as far as names go right now, and there is a celebrity baby named [name]Story[/name] - [name]Jenna[/name] Elfman’s son, [name]Story[/name] [name]Elias[/name]. Especially if you are a writer or creative-type, [name]Story[/name] could be the one for you. It’s spunky and clever, yet not too youthful, and it has that nickname feel without sounding cutesy. It isn’t my kind of name, but I do like it. Others that are in that same family are [name]Sonnet[/name], [name]Fable[/name], [name]Lyric[/name], [name]Cadence[/name], [name]Melody[/name], and [name]Aria[/name].

As for an S name with an S last name, I’m actually a big fan of alliteration. Alliteration is always preferable to rhyming, right? [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name] has good flow, and with a longer middle name - I’d say three syllables - you could have yourself a winner. Now, something like [name]Sage[/name] [name]Smith[/name] doesn’t have the same flow, as the syllables don’t have enough difference. Something like [name]Serena[/name] [name]Smith[/name] works, though, because it has a flowing melody to it.

If you do go with [name]Story[/name], I’d balance out that unique first name with a more classic middle name, such as [name]Story[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Julia[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Smith[/name], or [name]Story[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Smith[/name].

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Aww.

Well, my last name is one-syllable and [name]Story[/name] is on my list for a middle name. [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Story[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Story[/name] are in my list of 4-5 girls’ names ([name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Gray[/name] are also in there, as well as [name]Meredith[/name] ____ - DH doesn’t like [name]Meredith[/name], and I’m not sure if I care :lol: ). If we choose either of these, we will probably call her [name]Story[/name].

I’m a big fan of quirky, funky middle names, and strong classic-ish first names. The reason is that, well, your kid can go by her middle name all she wants and be as funky as can be, but when it comes time to send out her resume, a more formal name lends advantage. Studies have shown that traditional (or at least “normal”) names are more likely to be called back for interviews. If your kid ends up being a fashion designer or electrician, it’ll matter less - but in law, accounting, engineering, etc. you can bet people will judge.

The ladies here gave me lots of great suggestions for combinations with [name]Story[/name] here: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums . My favorites, besides [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] of course, were [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], and [name]Amelia[/name].

This is just my opinion and not many people share it, but I don’t think alliteration works unless there’s a large distance between the first and last name (like three syllables minimum), and I think one-syllable last names are best paired with three-syllable plus first names. Again, just MY opinion and most people probably do not share it.

With the last name [name]Smith[/name], I’d want my girl’s first name both to be strong and have flair (hell, I want those two things regardless). I think [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Julia[/name] [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name], and [name]Jacqueline[/name] [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name] are fantastic.

[name]Story[/name] sounds okay to me, and I wouldn’t worry about the S S, as pp said, alliteration can sound really nice. I think with the last name [name]Smith[/name] you should absolutely go with a bolder or at least less common first name. Good luck!

I completely agree with lemon. [name]Story[/name] is a great name choice and I think a common last name pairs well with a not-so-common first name. Alliteration is fine because they don’t have similar sounding syllables, whereas [name]Samantha[/name] [name]Smith[/name] is a bit of a tongue twister. I also agree with the longer middle name idea, this would be a good place to insert a family name. Is there someone you would like to honor? [name]Story[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Story[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Smith[/name], just a few ideas.

[name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name] sounds cute. I think it’s smart to pair an uncommon name with your last name to make it stand out. I don’t mind aliteration at all. It’s not right or wrong, it’s a personal preference.

Hey there, Lost Dad! :wink:

First of all, I think it’s great you’re taking such an interest in your little girl’s name. I just love seeing concerned dads post on these boards! Especially when some of us have husbands who dread talking about names… like my boyfriend! lol

Secondly, as far as the initials S. S. go, I wouldn’t be put off by it. My name is [name]Kaitlin[/name] K_____, and I love the alliteration in my name! I think [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name] is absolutely lovely. They start with the same letter and have the same number of letters, which I love too. But, like lemon said, they have different amounts of syllables, which is what makes it work. I think [name]Story[/name] is a great choice, especially with [name]Smith[/name], because there are so many people with the last name [name]Smith[/name] that an [name]Anna[/name] [name]Smith[/name] might be one of one hundred… but a [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name]? One of a kind. :slight_smile:

Then there’s the potential for “trouble” with the name [name]Story[/name]. Personally, I don’t really see any. There might be a few off-the-cuff comments like “So, what’s your [name]Story[/name]?” or “Tell us a [name]Story[/name]” but nothing awful. Again, my name is [name]Kaitlin[/name] and I was teased with [name]Katie[/name]-lin and [name]Kitty[/name]-lin, both of which I hated. Up until a certain age kids don’t really care about names, and I think unless you name your child [name]Fanny[/name] or [name]Dick[/name], you won’t get a lot of really horrible teasing. I know kids named Boots, [name]Pepper[/name], [name]Noble[/name], [name]Flora[/name], and [name]Elektra[/name], and to my knowledge they’ve never been teased. It’s just their name. If you’re still really concerned about it, sing the “[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Bo[/name] Bannah” song to yourself and see what comes up. That’s what I do!

As for a middle name, I agree with the previous posters that a longer, more established middle name would be better. Since you’re considering [name]Story[/name] as the first name, I’m suggesting some names that I feel might “go” with your style. Let me know if you see anything you like!
[name]Story[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Winifred[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Callista[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Andromeda[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Cristabel[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] Appolline [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Cressida[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Veronica[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Story[/name] [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Smith[/name]

HTH!

[name]Minnie[/name] Driver’s son’s middle name is [name]Story[/name]!

Alright, here’s what I would do–I know my opinion probably differs from other people’s, but I think you it’s good to hear another point of view. :slight_smile: I think you should give your daughter a more classic or “accepted” first name and put [name]Story[/name] as her middle name, so you can call her [name]Story[/name] but if she doesn’t like it she still has another option. The names that greyer suggested are all great contenders for first names! :slight_smile:

That option simply seems safer. I’ve known kids with names like [name]Magic[/name], and I’ve heard several times that they wished they had something else to fall back on. So much depends on the child’s personality–I know that personally, I would have really disliked having a name like [name]Magic[/name], being the shy introvert I am. But who knows? Maybe your daughter will be outgoing and maybe she’ll love the name. But is it worth the risk? Well, I guess that’s for you to decide. :slight_smile:

I agree with Nicole1024 that you should use a classic, more traditional name for your little girl and choose [name]Story[/name] as a middle name. [name]Story[/name] is just a word name to me and these types of names are just so trendy along with [name]Sonnet[/name], [name]Poet[/name], [name]Lyric[/name], [name]Aria[/name] and the countless others of the craze. A child deserves to have a more substantial name. Think about it: Would you take a an adult woman named [name]Story[/name] [name]Smith[/name] seriously in the workplace? It just wouldn’t be appropriate when your daugher is grown-up.