Louis

I am due in 4 weeks and our first winner for our second son is [name]Louis[/name]. The middle name is [name]Jackson[/name], which is a family name after my grandfather, father, and brother’s middle name.

Opinions? [name]How[/name] do you pronounce when you read it?

I like the [name]Lou[/name]-ee pronunciation, but you can say [name]Lou[/name]-is too. I think it’s a great name and an underused classic.

I think [name]Louis[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] is a fabulous name! I say [name]Lou[/name]-is. But I would wonder whether it was [name]Lou[/name]-ee. I could go either way.

[name]Louis[/name] is pronounced loo-ee. [name]Lewis[/name] is loo-is. [name]Both[/name] [name]Louis[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Lewis[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] are really cute names but I think they will age well enough also.

My friend has a baby [name]Louis[/name] and gets nothing but compliments on his name.

Good luck, [name]Dahlia[/name] x

I pronounce [name]Louis[/name] like Loo-ee and [name]Lewis[/name] like Loo-iss. I think [name]Louis[/name] can be pronounced either way though. I do like the the spelling of [name]Louis[/name] but I prefer the sound of [name]Lewis[/name]. [name]Louis[/name] (whether Loo-ee or Loo-iss) [name]Jackson[/name] sounds great though and I agree that it will age well.

Any [name]Louis[/name] [name]Armstrong[/name] fans? :sunglasses:

I’ve alway said Loo-ee, but in Hello [name]Dolly[/name], Mr. [name]Armstrong[/name] clearly sings “This is Loo-iss, [name]Dolly[/name]!”

So yeah, I think you can pronounce it either way. And I much prefer the spelling [name]Louis[/name].

Congrats!

I love [name]Louis[/name] and would want to name our baby on the way [name]Louis[/name] if we didn’t have a friend in our small town named [name]Louis[/name]. I also pronounce [name]Louis[/name] as Loo-ee and [name]Lewis[/name] as [name]Lew[/name]-is.

The French pronunciation of [name]Louis[/name] is loo-ee but I think most people in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] pronounce it loo-is. I guess it all comes down to preference but personally I think the French have the right idea. [name]Louis[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] is awesome!

thanks all. I wasn’t expecting so many positive responses. lol. I think we will kind of go with both pronunciations…because I do like both. I am positive he will be baby loo-ee but maybe he will want to be lou-iss when older?

I would pronounce it -iss, and I like that better. I think the French pronunciation is pretty pretentious if you aren’t actually French. And [name]Lewis[/name] is a form of [name]Louis[/name], not the other way around. I like the [name]Louis[/name] spelling better- it’s something about the w that makes [name]Lewis[/name] seem like a last name only to me. A little [name]Louis[/name] (-iss) could always be called [name]Louie[/name], but if you name him [name]Louis[/name] (-ee) he couldn’t go by -iss if he prefered. Either way, I think it’s a great name- go for it!