Love a name...but too popular?

[name]Hi[/name],
We found out we are having a baby girl yesterday :slight_smile: We all ready have a little boy called [name]Caden[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Ivan[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Freya[/name]…and looking at my scan photo she just looks like a [name]Freya[/name] to me. But [name]Freya[/name] was number 23 in 2006 (I’m a [name]Brit[/name] BTW).

Would it being so popular put you off?
Any suggestions on another name I might like? we tend to like girls names that end in an a.

The popularity does make ME not want to use a name. I love girls names that end with “a” as well…

Here’s some of my favorite names (maybe they’ll help you):
[name]Aria[/name] (nn [name]Ari[/name]) - getting popular here in the US
[name]Briella[/name] (nn [name]Ellie[/name])
[name]Adeline[/name] (nn [name]Addie[/name])
[name]Giana[/name] (nn [name]Gia[/name]) - getting popular here in the US
[name]Isla[/name] (haven’t thought of a nn for this one, yet :/)
[name]Kinsey[/name] (ditto to [name]Isla[/name])
[name]Fiona[/name] (nn Fi)
[name]Liliana[/name] (nn [name]Lily[/name]) - getting popular here in the US
[name]Camille[/name] (or [name]Camilla[/name]) (nn [name]Cam[/name])
[name]Ariella[/name] (nn [name]Ella[/name])
[name]Matilda[/name] (nn [name]Mattie[/name])
[name]Norah[/name] (ditto to [name]Isla[/name])
[name]Delaney[/name] (nn [name]Laney[/name])
[name]Hazel[/name] (nn [name]Ellie[/name]?)
[name]Juliana[/name] (nn [name]Jules[/name])
[name]Maeve[/name] (nn [name]Mae[/name]…not that you really need a nn here)
[name]Olive[/name] (nn [name]Ollie[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] (nn [name]Lettie[/name])
[name]Tessa[/name]

[name]Freya[/name] is a soft, feminine name, a lovely choice.

Some more ideas

[name]Blythe[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Opal[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Skye[/name] [name]Anais[/name]

[name]Freya[/name] is not popular at all in the USA. It may be because [name]Freya[/name] sound kind of like fea (spanish for ugly). I love the name [name]Freya[/name] and if you do too you should name her that. [name]Just[/name] give her a more unusual middle name in case she has to go by it latter.

Personally, I would be put off by her popularity, but I have to admit I think she’s gorgeous, and it kind of pains me to see her so popular…
My first thought as a possible alternative was [name]Fiona[/name], but then I thought of Freyas origins, and being Norwegian, I might be able to suggest some names like her, only not entirely, with Norse origins, and leave the suggestion of a-ending names to others ^^

My first thought was [name]TUVA[/name], related to [name]Thor[/name] (Norse god of thunder). I think it has the most beautiful sound when said in English (not too fond of it on a Norwegian girl)… It’s pronounced TOO-vah, and is a rare little gem in my opinion ^^
The other crossing my mind was [name]EIRA[/name], pronounced EY-ra (EY as in the last part of hey)… [name]Eira[/name] comes from [name]Eir[/name], the Norse goddess of healing, and is also an Irish name meaning “snow”… In some ways it’s more similar to [name]Freya[/name] because of the r…

There’s also these:
[name]Alva[/name] (meaning "elf’2)
[name]Asta[/name] (this is a form of [name]Astrid[/name] meaning “divinely beautiful”)
[name]Brita[/name] (Scandinavian form of [name]Bridget[/name] meaning “strength, power”)
[name]Frida[/name] (means beautiful)
[name]Nora[/name] (I know this isn’t Scandinavian, but I always think of [name]Nora[/name] from A [name]Doll[/name]'s House, a play by Norwegian playwright [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Ibsen[/name] when I see it, so it feels Norwegian ^^ It’s also similar to [name]Freya[/name] in sound and style)
[name]Sigrid[/name]/[name]Siri[/name] (means “beauty and victory”. [name]Siri[/name] is a pet form of [name]Sigrid[/name], and was my original suggestion. [name]Siri[/name] also means “[name]Secret[/name]” in Swahili)
Sunniva (means “gift of the sun”)
[name]Thora[/name]
[name]Una[/name] (form of Unn, norse name meaning “loved” or “wave”)
Ylva (means she-wolf)

I might have gone overboard with my suggestions, but if they don’t appeal to you, someone else might find them and be inspired… ^^
There’s also these, but they’re a bit different, and I’m not sure they would have the same appeal to you as [name]Freya[/name], and one of them isn’t Scandinavian in anything other than where it’s in use… ^^
Olava - feminine form of [name]Olav[/name], I worry about the lava part o.O
Ovidia - Feminine form of [name]Ovid[/name], good [name]Olivia[/name] alternative, if only people used it outside of Scandinavia, where it’s not very commonly heard…
[name]Olea[/name] - another form of [name]Olav[/name]…

I think [name]Freya[/name] is beautiful, as are many of the names that have already been suggested.
[name]Just[/name] wanted to add one more:
[name]Orla[/name]

I think [name]Caden[/name] and [name]Orla[/name] sound fabulous together.

[name]Bridgett[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Stacie[/name]
[name]Hallie[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Macy[/name]
Albry
[name]Raleigh[/name]
[name]Holland[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Brielle[/name]
Jorien
[name]Harlow[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Kirstin[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]

I saw it suggested, but I was gonna say that I think the closest name to [name]Freya[/name] is [name]Freida[/name], but I think if you like [name]Freya[/name], you should just go with it. It’s a name that you are going to be saying for the rest of your life!

I personally would be too bothered to use a popular name, unless I really, really loved it. If I loved the name more than I cared about its popularity, I’d go for it!

Some more (mostly -a ending) names you may like:

[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]/[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Danica[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

If you really love it, you shouldn’t be put off by popularity. I think it is a classic, pretty name. Is it really so popular? I’m a [name]Brit[/name], too, and while I’ve heard of it, I’ve never actually met anyone called it … That said, some of the alternatives other people have mentioned are lovely.

You could always give her an unusual middle name or nickname that she could go by if there were more than one [name]Freya[/name] in her class etc.

I don’t think that 23 is too popular that it would be worth putting you off a name you like. If it were number 1 or 2, maybe, but I think 23 is far enough down not be a major issue. And yes, there might be more than one [name]Freya[/name] in her classes at school, but so what? It’s not a big issue to most kids - some even like being one of multiples - and she’ll be out in the world as an adult far longer than she’s in any of those classrooms.