Lucerne?

I’m pondering [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] for a baby girl, the flower has a ton of significance for me and I actually have a tattoo of it. I love that it’s very unconventional as a name but I’m not sure what others would associate with it, since I’m already biased. Is it easy to read/pronounce? What does it make you think of? Is it more wearable as a middle?

Some of my combos with it:
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f]
[name_f]Leda[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f]
[name_f]Honora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f]
[name_f]Fenella[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f]
OR
[name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] [name_f]Fenella[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] [name_f]Wilderose[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] [name_f]Minette[/name_f] “Lumi”
[name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] [name_u]Finch[/name_u]

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] [name_f]Minette[/name_f] “Lumi"!

I would need to be told how to pronounce it when first seeing it written as it’s not a name I’ve encountered before, but I don’t think that’s a dealbreaker, especially if her surname is a familiar one. (Having to explain both first and last name all the time could be tiresome).

I think the nickname [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] is absolutely darling!

1 Like

I would pronounce it loo-sern, not sure if that’s correct? [name_f]My[/name_f] mind goes to ‘discern’ and the super collider!

It’s a nice sound and I can see it as a first name, potentially with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a nn.

I like all your combos, especially with [name_f]Wildrose[/name_f] and [name_f]Minette[/name_f] (Mimi is adorable!) as middle names.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

That pronunciation is correct! I don’t think I’d pick the nickname [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] in the early years but I like having a lot of nickname options for her as she ages.

I think it’s easy to read and pronounce! I also think with the similarity to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and other variants like [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f], it doesn’t feel too “out there” at all.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your combos are [name_f]Honora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] [name_f]Minette[/name_f] ‘Lumi’!

I think it’s definitely usable. It’s easy to read and pronounce and given its similarity to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], it doesn’t seem too “out there” as a name. I guess some people might assume you have some association with the geographical place of [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f], but if you’re not bothered by that then it doesn’t really matter. It’s not a bad association… I’ve been to [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] twice and it’s absolutely beautiful.

The real draw-card imo, is the nickname [name_u]Lou[/name_u]. I love the nickname [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and any route to it usually gets a thumbs up from me!

I would use a “name” name in the middle spot though and avoid word, and particularly place, names.

Pretty choice though!

[name_f]Honora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] is gorgeous

I didn’t know it was the name of a flower, I just knew of the place in Switzerland.

I do think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is a likely nickname for [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] unless people were presented with another nickname, just because of all of the Lucy-variant names already out there. [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] is great, though! [name_f]Minette[/name_f] doesn’t really call to me on its own, but as a means to [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] it works!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] is absolutely enchanting to me. Gorgeous combo.

I think it’s a pretty name and it could definitely work! In my area [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] is a fairly popular brand of dairy products (I’m guessing that’s related to the place though I live nowhere near Switzerland— I’m in the Northwestern US), so that’s my immediate strong association, but that may be a regional thing and with the other associations out there, it’s far from a dealbreaker for me! I think that [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] perfectly usable as a name, but would probably easily lend itself to a nickname— most likely [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]— if used as a first name, in case that’s a concern. It’s more middle name material to me personally, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be used as a first name either :slight_smile:

Ah we’re definitely the type to pick out a nickname ahead of time, haha! We’re leaning toward Lucerne as a middle or using the Lumi combo at this point.

I would have thought this was a boys name for some reason… Seems easy to pronounce!

I think Lucerne is lovely! As a fan of more classic/recognizable names, I’d be tempted to use it for a middle - but since you appear to like names with a similar vibe anyway (Fenella, Wilderose, etc.), you could certainly use it as a first name. I had no trouble pronouncing it, and others shouldn’t either. :slight_smile:

And I’ll second @minxtruck’s opinion here. Lou (or Lu, as I might choose to spell it) is the perfect nickname.

1 Like

[name_f]Lu[/name_f] is an adorable nickname, thanks for the feedback!

I think it’s ok but you need to steer clear of word middles… especially meadow (to me my first thought for [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] is the hay, so unless you really like the dairy farm connotation I’d pair it with something much more name-y, like [name_f]Lucerne[/name_f] Honora)