Lucy vs Lucie?

Opinions on this? Does the “ie” spelling have a different origin or background than the “y” spelling, or are they just two different spellings? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you make any associations with these spellings?

Having no.2 this winter and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is our top name pick. In addition to being a cute name, I was a [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] Ball fan as a little kid, which leans me towards “[name_f]Lucy[/name_f].” But we already have a daughter " [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]" and so would it be cute for them to have similar spellings, [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucie[/name_f]? What would you do? I’m leaning a particular way but don’t want to say until I hear your thoughts.

Thx!

My name is [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]! I think (I might be totally wrong) that [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] is [name_m]French[/name_m] in origin and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is more English in origin but they are both derived from Lucia. Personally I really like my name spelled as it is–it’s the classic spelling, it’s the girl from [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] and the girl from Peanuts (both of whom I love), etc. I am always getting “I [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]” references from people as well. But I think [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] is adorable and a bit more quirky and since it looks [name_m]French[/name_m] it has an extra flair to it. The [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] spelling looks better to me with [name_f]Grace[/name_f], but I think either of them would work and I think that your daughter will love her name no matter how it is spelled. Best of luck!

I’m not keen on [name_f]Lucie[/name_f]. It’s too matchy with [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] for my taste, and I feel like it’s just asking for trouble with spelling confusion.

W/[name_f]Gracie[/name_f] you might consider [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]…you could nn her [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], but she should have an option that isn’t so matchy.

I like [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] better! It feels less nick-namey to me with the ‘ie’ and more like a formal, full name.

I prefer [name_f]Lucie[/name_f], but I have no idea why. I like the suggestion of [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], too : )

I prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] makes me think of an old lady, [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] looks more cute and modern. I can see you’d want them to match in spelling though, I had the same problem when I was considering [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] to match with my first daughter [name_u]Gabby[/name_u]. The “ie” and “y” was bothering me! In the end though, I’d choose the spelling that would require the less amount of effort, you won’t need to spell it out with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] all of the way… even with sister [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]

:slight_smile:

I had a friend named [name_f]Lucie[/name_f]. I’m not sure why but in my head I always pronounce her name Loo-CHEE, like the Italian way, though I know she’s a [name_u]Brit[/name_u]. Meanwhile, [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is always Loo-see to me.

[name_m]Both[/name_m] are equally beautiful to me. [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucie[/name_f]/[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are adorable together! :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] to [name_f]Lucie[/name_f]. I’m always very tempted to pronounce [name_f]Lucie[/name_f], Loo-chee.

I assume [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]'s name is [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and not [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]. In which case [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] would be really cute.
If you live in the US or any other mainly English speaking country I’d go with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. It’s the more familiar
and when it comes to spelling I usually think that simpler is better.
(But if it really is a nn your [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] could decide on the spelling she wants when she get’s older and switch between the two).

I definitely prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]!! It’s the more traditional and common spelling, and I quite like the way it looks with [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] too. I look forward to seeing which you choose!

I prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. I also prefer when sibling have different endings as well as beginnings on their names so if I had a [name_f]Gracie[/name_f], I would go with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

@lexiem I’m pretty sure [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] is just [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]. I prefer the [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] spelling as a full name and [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. So cute! Plus, otherwise people will misspell her name.

Thank you all for your feedback, it was helpful and appreciated.

Well, I’ve ultimately decided to go with my gut and name her [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. The idea of [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] is fun but feel that she’s not even born yet and already having to follow in big sister’s footsteps. But mostly, I feel more of a connection to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and my husband likes the y spelling more as well.

And yes, previous poster was right, my [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] is just [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] will just be [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. And my feeling is that they will be raised to be strong enough girls to really “own” their names, despite them being on the “cutesy-side,” and not feel they have to have a more formal attachment. But should that not happen, they are welcome to go by their middle names or whatever ol’ name makes them happy. I know I don’t need to explain this but its not an uncommon question, so just clearing the air.

Thanks again! From Me AND [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]!

[name_f]Gracie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] are cutesy together, I think, it’s beyond cute in a not-my-thing kind of way. [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are great together, though.
I go by [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and I live in a [name_m]French[/name_m] & English community, so I do get [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] from time to time at Starbucks :wink: I do consider [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] to be [name_m]French[/name_m] and I say it as “lu-SEE” not “[name_f]LU[/name_f]-see” as [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is.

ETA: I totally didn’t realize you had already made your decision in a reply. I’m excited you’ve decided on [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]! It has served me very well <3 Congrats!