Lucy???

See the results of this poll: Would the name Lucy invite negative teasing ("Loose," etc)?

Respondents: 28 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 3 (11%)
  • No: 25 (89%)

I voted no, and I really would not worry about this at all. To be perfectly honest, if a young girl named [name]Lucy[/name] really were otherwise perceived to be promiscuous, then an unfortunate connection to her name might occur to someone. But for the ordinary girl named [name]Lucy[/name], I don’t see the name alone becoming a source of teasing at all. And, besides, 15 years from now, the term “loose” probably won’t even be in use by the next generation; I think it’s already a bit outdated among teens.

I don’t think so - a lot, but I had to vote Yes. I’m pretty sure it would come up, so I didn’t want to say “Of course not!” I think it is a nice name and a lot of people have used it. I wouldn’t say she’ll be tormented for life with that name, but some teasing may be expected to occur.

That said, I would still use it. It is one of my favorite names and there’s nothing wrong with it. It has a beautiful meaning, and I like several variations of it, [name]Lucia[/name], [name]Lucille[/name] - it is a likable name. There are hardly any names (or people) that are completely tease-proof, and it is more important to me to choose a great name. I think any teasing would be minimal/average and not crushing, so I would still use it.

Oops! I accidentally voted for “yes” when I meant a huge “No!” So, please subtract one from the “yes” column to undo my oopsie. :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Lucy[/name]! I think it’s spunky and sweet, with a bit of elegance thrown into the mix.

Best wishes to you!

It isn’t a problem at all. I know several [name]Lucy[/name]'s and none have ever been teased in that way! Go for it! Beautiful name.

I voted no. Okay, it’s a possibility but kids find all kinds of other reasons to tease each other. I don’t think the word “loose” is really used at the elementary school level anyway. By the time kids could make the connection hopefully they’d more grown up than to tease in such a way.

My cousin is [name]Lucy[/name] and we all call her [name]Luce[/name]. I didn’t even click until I saw this post that it is the same as loose! But here in Australia we shorten most names… we’re lazy =)

The worst I’ve heard with [name]Lucy[/name] is “[name]Lucy[/name] Goosey” … but that’s more affectionate than teasing, really!

Wow this post really won’t help at all, sorry! But good luck!

I hear your concern, but I don’t think that it will be a problem. Kids are mean as it is and will find a way to tease if that’s their mission. For example, my grandma was telling me about some song that was big years ago about [name]Hannah[/name] the tramp from [name]Savannah[/name]. Yes, there was actually a song called that. Or Sexy [name]Lexie[/name]. While those are out there, and will always be out there… I don’t think that it should be an issue or deter you from naming your child [name]Lucy[/name]! Its absolutely adorable!.

Well, my name is [name]Lucy[/name] and I have never been called ‘loose [name]Lucy[/name]’. My husband actually often calls me [name]Luce[/name] but he is the only person. I have been called ‘Juicy [name]Lucy[/name]’ on a few occasions but that’s it. I think that there is always potential for teasing with any name and if not, children can easily find something else to tease about. If you like the name, you should definitely use it :slight_smile:

I said yes. But any name probably has something that kids could use to tease each other. And “Loose” sounding like [name]Luce[/name] is a pretty mild one if you ask me, so it wouldn’t deter me.

I truly don’t think it would be a problem. I think [name]Lucy[/name] is a gorgeous name and honestly, the connection to being called “loose” never occurred to me. I’ve known plenty of girls named [name]Lucy[/name] and I’ve never heard of anyone teasing them.