Lyra Pronunciation

I really like the name the [name]Lyra[/name]. After some research it looks like it’s usually pronounced Lie-ra, but there are also many who prefer Leer-a. Personally, I like both. What do you guys think? [name]How[/name] did you first assume it was pronounced? Which do you prefer?

To me I would assume it’s Lie-ra.

Leera would garner Lira to me; it sounds like the old Italian currency.

I pronounce it Lie-ra and I prefer it that way too.

I like [name]Lyra[/name]! Like @sansa_nanami, I would assume [name]Lyra[/name] was LYE-rah and Lira was LEER-ah. Although I have heard [name]Lyra[/name] said like leer-ah. I like both, but atm I like [name]Lyra[/name] more. It’s sweet and unexpected.

I pronounce [name]Lyra[/name] as LYE-rah.

I say it as Lie-Rah.

I knew a [name]Lyra[/name] and she prn. it Leer-a. That makes sense to me because the lyr reminds me of lyric.

I found this on sheknows.com and could explain the prn. but I’m still not sure.

"French Meaning:
The name [name]Lyra[/name] is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name [name]Lyra[/name] is: Of the Iyre. Song.

Greek Meaning:
The name [name]Lyra[/name] is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name [name]Lyra[/name] is: [name]Lyre[/name] (medeival instrument). Lyrical."

I originally pronounced it leer-a but then I saw the movie and they pronounce it lie-ra. I think both are nice.

I would think leera, and like that sound better than something that sounds like liar, but then again I don’t mind [name]Lila[/name] which sounds so similar,… So I’d probably grow to like the lie-ra prn as well.

Lie-rah. I love it, it’s on my list too. :slight_smile:

I’ve always been particularly fond of the name [name]Lyra[/name]. I pronounce it, as you put it, “Leer-ah” as in lyric. But that’s because I tend to roll the Y as soon as I pronounce the L sound. So I’ve never drawn out the ‘leer’ sound.

The ‘Lyr’ reminds me of [name]Lyric[/name] so I tend to pronounce it Leer-uh.

I’d always assume it was lie-rah which I prefer. Again, Lira would be lee-rah to me.